BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Fined £5.5m

But the FAPL were forced into committing to reviewing any subsequent transaction closely and part of the deal that kept Tevez playing on 28 April was that West Ham undertook to copy ALL related correspondence to FAPL.

This lot poor chess players- there is no carpet to sweep under.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheff U watching FIFA developments.

As I understand it, FIFA's number 1 objective is to maintain the operation of the transfer market by ensuring players are able to play. They are going to be less fussed by West Ham sensitivities although St Trev and Iceland's FIFA rep are WHammers.

Given FIFA jealously guard their patch and must be becoming alarmed at the financial power of the EPL, Septic Blast actually has an interest in delivering a verdict that inflicts maximum damage on the EPL.

Could be interesting when FIFA eventually get round to acting.

Sheff U watching FIFA developments.

Could be interesting when FIFA eventually get round to acting.

Thing is here Philipl and the underlying aspect of it all IMO (which I think you seem to think also) is the English Football Season starts in 3 weeks - the EPL are doing a very good job of delaying everything which will inevitably lead hopefully for them and Whet Spam to the Football season kicking off without a decision being made therefore more than likely creating a situation that even FIFA will be unable to turn around inthe sheme of things ie relegating the cockney rebels and promoting the steel guys of Sheffield as it would make a total mockery of Football in Engalnd if not the World.

So they better be bloody quick about it

David Gill spells it out in one sentence at the end of this piece. Man U have spent two months negotiating with Joorabchian which shows they are convinced that Tevez can unilaterally terminate his contract with West Ham. Gill being careful at this stage not to say that if Tevez can terminate his own conbtract, the power to do so is vested in his deal with MSI. If the MSI/Tevez contract obliges Tevez to walk if MSI so-instruct (which is highly probable), the case is made.

I agree with your comments Captain- the most realistic question is do Sheff U go to West Ham or the FAPL for their £50m if FIFA rule that MSI are the party to be paid.

Followed by what will the FAPL do to West Ham if anything if the ripping up of the MSI contract actually proves to have strengthened MSI's control over Tevez- if FIFA find in favour of the Man U/MSI position, by implication, Tevez only continued playing at West Ham by permission of MSI.

Payment by third parties is the way business is done in Latin America where football clubs are a non-bankable proposition (ie they pawn their players given banks won't lend to them). Are FIFA going to make a ruling in this case which effectively shuts down football in Latin America?

Meetings on Monday about Tevez transfer.

If this drags on, Man U are likely to block the sales of Rossi and Smith creating further bottlenecks in the transfer market.

If Smith is key to a Beattie deal, it seems whichever way we turn this summer, we are blighted by Devine's flag and Scudamore's bungle.

The Telegraph's take on the same story. At some point, surely West Ham expect Tevez to report for training as "their" player? Will they try to enforce that in the Courts? If they do not call him back, at what point does the FAPL give in and admit West Ham's ownership is a sham?

A lively debate on the subject of what the FAPL did and did not do.

There is a fatal flaw in the claim by the Whammers that the Tevez agreement was void ab initio. If that is the case, there is no basis on which West Ham legally obtained the registrations of Tevez and Mascherano initially. MSI will argue that the clauses were the essence of the contract and given they determine the destination of £30m it would be hard to argue against them- therefore the whole agreement should be set aside in law and the asset (full rights in Tevez) returned to MSI. Let's see if the West Ham supporters have an argument against my post.

FIFA might decline to intervene.

Am I correctly reading between the lines that FIFA are saying their rules would allow Man U to buy Tevez off Joorabchian and that it is not their job to implement the FAPL's own rules?

That's the way I'm reading it philipl, passing the buck and just goes to show what a set of incompetent idiots run the game of Football throughout the World no more so than in the UK.

Surely something as big as this would not have gone unnoticed (which it wasn't) but saying it may not have the authority to rule now, is as bad as the independent one they had the other week over here.

And this is what makes me laugh and just shows the injustice and raises the question of what the Hammers have over the P/L

'However, the Hammers ripped up an agreement they had with Joorabchian - which broke Premier League rules - and they now claim any deal with United can only go ahead with their say-so.'

'The Premier League is also insisting that any fee must go to West Ham.'

I think it has been said before, but reads to me that you can break the rules and its ok depending on who you are.

Must have been a case of ABH in my comments. Can't believe so much harm was caused by that small jab.

Best to mull over some red wine tonight and read over the last edition of Match/Shoot and fire us up another 'potential target' tomorrow.

Its not a cop-out, FIFA have clearly indicated they would have gone with their rule book whiuch is different from the FAPL.

Joorabchian going to the High Court is the denouement this case needed all along. It is a matter of weighing up the risks but he might prefer the High Court to a binding commitment to abiding by the CAS judgement whatever it might be.

First he needs to provide an open wallet to his lawyers.

THe fact that MSI are taking West Ham to the High Court is not surprising given FIFA have chosen not to act to keep sporting matters out of the civil courts. The FAPL would have lost had they arbitrated make no bones about it.

Perhaps the rather surprising comments by Scudamore in that article are explained by that realisation. Another step along the road of the FAPL abandonning the Eggman.

A replay of what I posted yesterday from The Times.

In a nutshell, the FAPL are saying to West Ham, they had three options on 27 April. They chose the one which enabled Tevez to keep playing- ripping up the MSI contract on the grounds it was unenforcable in law and have to live by the consequences of that.

What the FAPL are not speculating on is what the football consequences are in the event of West Ham losing in the High Court.

However, Scudamore's comments that the other options would have involved not playing Tevez means that all the points West Ham gathered with Tevez in the side after 27 April are highly dubious in the event of West Ham not succeding. More to the point, they fielded him illegally.

Scudamore is also clearly indicating that the Sheff U suit when it comes has to be directed at West Ham as the EPL did not make the decision on Tevez but gave West Ham the choice.

So West Ham are faced with what on the face of it is defending a unilateral breach of a commercial contract. A huge amount will depend on what the contract stipulated regarding the player registration back last August but the Liverpool/Mascherano precedent clearly does not help West Ham. Nor for that matter does West Ham's extraordinary decision to evict Tevez from his company flat- perhaps the most expensive eviction in history- which MSI are bound to focus on.

It might cost them well over £100m (not getting £30m from Man U, opening them to being sued by Sheff U for £50m, plus the result of the second FAPL disciplinary against them which should in natural justice result in relegation at the end of 07/08- another £50m+)

I doubt West Ham will sign any more players until the High Court has ruled. If they do, the signings will be on even more ludicrous wages with extreme get out clauses.

Incidentally, I guess Man U are fairly neutral so long as there is a decisive result in the High Court. They just want a name the can put on the cheque. On second thoughts, Man U will want a MSI victory-

- they have done a deal with MSI and would have to start all over again with West Ham with any other club free to come in and bid against them, and

- if West Ham win, Man U are up for the mother of all tapping up charges

PL chief wants speedy resolution?

IF PL hadn't got involved I'm sure it would have been sorted by now I think thats certain. They had vested interest in delaying this transfer - looks like the point of Sheff utd getting redress has passed and so the PL are suddenly wanting a quick resolution.

If the courts rule in MSI's favour and the premier league do not act against West ham then I will be highly dubious about whether I'm really watching a sport or not.

Out of Court settlement being negotiated

So, West Ham have to contend all attempts to show 3rd party ownership with the utmost vigour actually means the FAPL sanctioning Joorabchian entering into negotiations with West Ham to pay a sweetener to get them to rip up Tevez's registration documents.

The £5.5m fine is whittled down by another £1m as well.

Hardly a surprising outcome and one which was being discussed in this thread at least two or three weeks ago. This was an opportunity for the FA and / or the PL to show if it really has teeth. The opportunity has gone; West Ham have lied and cheated their way out of certain relegation, Manchester United have been allowed to publically tap up a player without a murmur and third party ownership and it's potential influence on the outcome of a season or game has become a reality.

It should come as no surprise all the major players in this corrupt affair are foreign investors. Almost 50% of the PL clubs have foreign owners, who collectively have, and will continue to, spend millions to secure a place at the table. This little furore is just a taster of what is to come. If you just spent £100m plus to buy a football club would you tolerate relegation?? No chance. The Football Association missed the opportunity to stamp any sort of authority on the game with the Tevez affair, probably the last chance it will have. It will not be many years before we see the PL run by foreign investors with little knowledge, understanding or sentiment for football as a whole; greed and wealth creation will be the only driving force.

Chelsea - Abramovich's finances still unlikely to stand up to real scrutiny

Portsmouth - Gaydamak's father still subject to an international arrest warrant

Derby Co - Gadsby's consortium being investigated over alleged financial irregularities

West Ham - Gudmundsson received a 12 month suspended sentence in 1991 for embezzlement

Man City - Shinawatra is under investigation in Thalinad for corruption, albeit by a military coup

So it's good to see 25% of club owners should have no difficulty in passing a fit and proper test. Might have been better off with Robert Maxwell in some cases!

Arsenal - soon to be American owned

Aston Villa - American owned

Liverpool - American owned

Man Utd - American owned

Rovers - both rumoured bidders are US based

Everton - 23% US ownership

Do they know it's football?

Currently there are enough foreign players in the PL for an entire league programme (i.e one set of ten games) without the use of an English player, potentially a whole season. World Cup 2018 anyone?

Archived