BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Fined £5.5m

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one mother of a huge fine when you consider that UEFA have recently handed out fines of 14,000 and 31,000 to ManUre and Roma respectively for crowd trouble.

They were never going to dock points off the media's favourite club the 'ammers thereby condemning them to relegation were they?

Hopefully though, they'll go down anyway losing an aditional 5m in the process.

I was surprised by the amount of the fine. Teams always seem to get very small fines like the UEFA examples listed above.

3 point deduction would have been nice though, here's to hoping they go down and lose £5.5m as well.

I think the compensation should be distributed amongst those clubs that Tevez had an impact on the game upon. Whether that be financially or points wise I don't know.

In theory there's nothing to stop any club from signing WHOEVER they want, because if the punishment is money then the club can always take that into account. For example, assuming The Dingles had some corrupt dealings with a South American sports company, they could get hold of a classy Argie on the cheap and know that even if they did get slapped with a £5m fine, they could/would reap the rewards of a £30m Premiership bumper payment in the process!

Its scandelous. The only way in the modern game to punish clubs is points and disqualification (depending on the severity of the crime). If West Ham had have been sent crashing and burning to the Championship in shame, then this would have sent a loud and clear message to all other English clubs that CHEATING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Instead, they have sold their soul. Again. I wonder what use the money will go to?

I was surprised by the amount of the fine. Teams always seem to get very small fines like the UEFA examples listed above.

3 point deduction would have been nice though, here's to hoping they go down and lose £5.5m as well.

No, I'm really pleased that they didn't get deducted points. I'm not a Hammers fan but I think the relagation scrap should be fair and not involve a team having disadvantage compared to the others. I think West Ham will still go down but at least this result is fair on the fans.

Can someone explain to me, why WH are still allowed to play Tevez, when the hearing told the FA that they could cancel Tevezs' contract?

Why have the FA allowed him to play on, when his transfer was illegal?

Can someone explain to me, why WH are still allowed to play Tevez, when the hearing told the FA that they could cancel Tevezs' contract?

Why have the FA allowed him to play on, when his transfer was illegal?

"The hearing report also said that the Premier League could terminate Tevez's registration, and if West Ham want to play him they will have to re-sign him."

I'm not entirely sure what that means to be honest. I don't think they could stop Tevez playing until the verdict was reached though.

Edit: Someone posted this on the 606 forum:

"I wish people would read properly.

West Ham were NOT found guilty of fielding an ineligible player.

They WERE found guilty of not providing the right paperwork to the F.A and not acting in "the utmost good faith" etc....

This is why we have not been deducted points for every game Tevez has played in, because he is not as such an ineligible player for West Ham. It was the manner and the state of the paperwork that was at fault."

A reading of the report on the BBC website suggests that this is the case.

Just heard that if Wham want to play Tevez, then they must sign him by noon tomorrow. That could be interesting.

It's OK saying that Wham didn't do anything seriously wrong and didn't deserve relegation, but a fine of £5.5m suggests otherwise. Clubs have been deducted points this season for minor registration errors.

Presumably right now he is a free agent?

He is not owned by WHU as such, but i assume they just modify the existing paperwork as the transfer window is closed totally.

They have to get either a loan deal or buy his rights from the companies. Expensive signing!

But if they escape relegation they have saved millions anyway so effectively they've paid £5.5 million for his services and made a packet on it. The thing that really annoys me is that everyone knew there was something dodgy about the 2 of them going to Wham in the first place but let it pass. Now, with most of the season gone and Tevez having been the best player at Wham for the last third of the season someone's finally got round to looking at it but he wasn't banned from playing until the situation was sorted out. I for one have never liked Wham and I hope even more fervently that they go down now.

I agree it is a bottle job.

if the transfer was illegal then those two players were presumably ineligible. Now, wasn't it AFC Wimbledon who lost all the points they won when they fielded an ineligible player?

I have no brief against West Ham, but it strikes me that this is a farce. Why can't the punishments be stated in advance? Who decided on 5.5m?

It's rollocks because if West Ham stay up now, it's worth over 20 mill to them, so the fine is meaningless if they stay up by a point.

A barrister on Sky Sports News was saying something to the effect of 'the fine is what it is because of the value of the players, which Wham didn't pay'. Since when were those two only worth £5.5m combined? It's a pretty poor ruling when you consider what other clubs such as Swindon have suffered for administrative offences.

Archived