BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Fined £5.5m

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Observer has a go at explaining the other Premiership legal clubs' positions. If two un-named clubs have joined the four at the bottom looking at damages caused by Tevez playing against them, I wonder who dropped six points againsta Tevez inspired West Ham?

Emotive stuff from Harry Harris

Comment on the judgement and a copy of the judgement

If Wigan really wanted to avoid the drop they could have won or drew yesterday instead of blaming West Ham for a decision they were aware of before the match...

Haven't seen much movement on the Lucas Neil thread as of late...

I agree that Wigan shouldn't be making excuses for their own demise,their fate as been in their own hands,butI feel sorry for Whelan,and after the way he told the whole of Lancashire to get behind Blackburn Rovers before our semi final kick-off,then i take my hat off to him, and say the same about us wishing Wigan well.Whelan still as a soft spot for the Rovers,so good luck to them.

Saying that , I do believe the whole West Ham saga is a complete travesty, and legal action needs to be taken, especially considering that Tevz destroyed Bolton ,got 2 goals and set the other up,and the only punishment is a 5 million pound fine.It seems more of a reward.It's same at Leeds,why deduct 10 points after the club is already relegated,then go into administration, and buy the club back cheap.All of this with West Ham , Leeds etc, is becoming a mockery.

I 'm still hoping West Ham bite the next week, and it's nothing to do with Lucash Neill, I've moved on from that.

If Wigan really wanted to avoid the drop they could have won or drew yesterday instead of blaming West Ham for a decision they were aware of before the match...

Haven't seen much movement on the Lucas Neil thread as of late...

Or they could have cheated as well and brought in World Cup stars in illegal deals. They can't use this as an excuse for a poor season, but they are right to say that justice has not been served and that something needs to be done about it.

West Ham cannot get away with it and neither can the Premier League, whose very existence is to protect all of its 30 members

Bit of a basic error from someone who purports to be a sports commentator and worthy of opinions which condemn clubs to the drop...

But if there are more documents this could well not be the end...

I am just wondering what odds I could get at the Bookies on The EPL being exposed for corruption, say within the next 5 years, in a similar scenario as the Italian Serie A was? Hmmmm!

Part of the reason why it has taken so long for the other teams to complain is that the investigation has taken so long, despite it being blindingly obvious a third party was involved in the deals. So Wigan and co. couldn't really launch any action until the Premier League made up its mind.

For the record, the £5.5m fine is a cop out, and that the Premier League wanted to keep the fight to stay up as 'exciting' as possible. And they wanted to avoid Wham taking legal action on a case that may be stronger than Wigan's case that it is unfair. Many other teams in the lower divisions have lost points over issues like this, and Boro lost points over not turning up for a game. West Ham have had an unfair advantage by playing one or two players whose transfer had broken the rules, and should have points deducted.

I West Ham were mid table during all this, I have no doubt they would have recieved a points deduction.

Because they were in the thick of a relegation battle, they didnt. Something is wrong there

Personally i would love West Ham to go down

Apparently this is the response people that complain about the decision ,are getting.I've taken this from a 'boro board.

>>Sirs

I write to you to express my dissatisfaction with the punishment handed out to West Ham United. I would argue that punishing a rich football club with a monetary fine is no punishment at all. I think that this has been borne out by the seemingly ready acceptance by West Ham United of the punishment. Rather like a rich motorist receiving a parking ticket the fine is an annoyance and perhaps an embarrassment rather than a true punishment.

Not only did WHU breach the rules of the league, they sought to deceive the authorities over the incident and continued to play the ineligible player throughout the season. Given that the player in question (Carlos Tevez) is an extremely talented player and that he has had a considerable positive influence on their performance I would argue that there has been no punishment at all. Indeed were WHU to survive in the PL by less than three points whoever was relegated in their place would pay a far greater financial penalty than WHU.

It is argued that WHU believe that matters of relegation should be sorted out on the pitch rather than in the court room. As a follower of Middlesbrough Football Club it strikes me as at least disingenuous as a I recall them (specifically their then manager Harry Rednapp) when we failed to fulfil our obligations in fielding a team for the game at Blackburn in the 96/7 season demanding that points were deducted. I was therefore astounded to read in your judgment that "a points deduction, say in January, whilst unwelcome, would have been somewhat easier to bear than a points deduction today which would have consigned the club to certain relegation." You may recall that the subject of our points deduction was one game. The duplicitous actions of WHU have arguably affected the outcome of over twenty games. You also state "we have considered the position of the players and the fans. They are in no way to blame for this situation." In 1996/7 the Middlesbrough fans and players were similarly blameless, yet the three point deduction which ultimately led to our relegation was enforced.

It is my conclusion that this "punishment" is yet further evidence of bias in favour of certain clubs. I now read with unsurprised fascination that Carlos Tevez has been cleared to play for WHU for the remainder of the season.

I am in short disgusted and appalled that such blatant favouritism should be applied in such a serious case.<<

The reply from the PL

>>Dear @@@

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the Independent Commission's judgment.

It is important to understand that as a result of the potential Rule breach, the Premier League convened the Commission in accordance with PL Rules. The Commission conducted the proceedings and ensured consideration was given to due process.

The Premier League appointed the three panel members on the basis of their integrity, impartiality and expertise. Please see the attached Press release at the time the Commission was convened. This release details the qualifications of the panel members.

The judgment (a link to which is below) needs to be read as a whole to appreciate the outcome that has been reached. The fine of £5.5 million is unprecedented. Further, West Ham has fielded fully registered players throughout the current season, the rule breach was in relation to third-party ownership, not illegal registration.

This is the first occasion on which a Club has been charged with a breach of Rule U.18 so the matter was unprecedented, making it difficult to draw comparison with the Middlesbrough points deduction ruling for failure to fulfil a fixture in 1997.

I do hope this will clarify the process for you and thank you for your support.

Kind regards,

Communications Dept <<

The problem was about whether it was fair to deduct points or not in the context of a relegation battle?

Er ... surely it would be unfair not to, to remove the unfair advantage West Ham had?!

Crackers.

As in "crackers as a 9-bob note"?

The problem was about whether it was fair to deduct points or not in the context of a relegation battle?

Er ... surely it would be unfair not to, to remove the unfair advantage West Ham had?!

Crackers.

I think it would of been a lot faier to impose a points deduction next season.Lets face it, that bald midget that owns West Ham(forgot his name lol),5 million is toffee to him, to keep his club in the premier league.

I don't think we've heard the last of this issue.

Missing smiley from me... Oops.

Well hopefully, if Man United beat West Ham , and Wigan Sheff United , then justice will be done.Saying that, I can't see it happening.Wigan look dire, and don't even look like scoring, but you never know.

I agree with you,they should be punished this season,and it's a farce that Tevez is allowed to play, but it's not going to happen,and legal proceeding if any will be long and drawn out.

What i meant with deduicting points, is the excuse they are using to say it's too late in the season to impose a points penaly this season.

Wouldnt it just be fantastic if Man u beat west ham on the last day of the season and wigan & sheff U got together and did a little fiddle which would see wigan win 1-0 and the both of them stay up!

:rover:

Heres hopeing

Been thinking along those lines myself. If West Ham are 2-0 down going into the last 5 minutes it could be very interesting to see what happens at Sheffield V Wigan.

Both teams were not happy about the treatment received by West Ham. It would save them a lot of money in legal fees to take West Ham to court and would have the desired effect of getting West Ham relegated.

Been thinking along those lines myself. If West Ham are 2-0 down going into the last 5 minutes it could be very interesting to see what happens at Sheffield V Wigan.

Both teams were not happy about the treatment received by West Ham. It would save them a lot of money in legal fees to take West Ham to court and would have the desired effect of getting West Ham relegated.

However it would be a clear breach of rule U.18, on the upside it would only be a fine!

Archived