BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Radio Stations

Just wondering what radio stations and presenters board members listen too.

I have started listening to Radio 2 more, mostly in the afternoon to Steve Wright and Chris Evans.

In the car I flip through channels listen to Century sometimes, usually the legends phone in and if I'm driving home of late shift sometimes listen to Umberto who can be entertaing.

Seem to have gone off Rock FM and Radio 1

I listen to talksport quite a lot. It infuriates me sometimes, but is also quite funny/interesting.

When i want a bit of music, i tend to tune into Virgin radio as i`m getting on a bit now & cannot be doing with radio1 sh1te.

When at work i am forced to listen to century105, because it`s the only channel my radio will pick up. It makes the hours go verrrrry slowly, but is slightly better than silence.

I love Chris Moyles.

I also listen to Radio 2 a lot.. driving home from work the other day in the sunshine on a windy B-road in a great handling car with Radio 2 playing a double of Pulp and Stone Roses was definitely one of the highlights of my stay in England so far!

Radio Oxfordshire I also tune into a lot.

What's up with 909 5Live and the continuous 'bell' or 'ding' that they play on a Saturday?!?

The problem with commercial stations are the commercials. They are absolute mind sapping pap.

Then there's the zany DJs, who start to believe their own stations hype and think that being on the radio makes them more popular than their personallity actually deserves. And they all speak in the same "Radio" accent, that comes from somewhere that doesn't exist.

Which leaves the BBC. Stopped listening to R1 some years ago, again like some when Mark and Lard got the push. As a kid, I listened to Peel every Monday to Thursday from 10pm. Even now, when I hear the intro music it makes the hair on my neck stand on end. But as I have grown out of their ever decreasing target audience intelligence range I no longer bother.

Radio 2, or as Wogan calls it the "The Coffin Dodgers Network" has it's merits. Indeed Terry understands what radio is about more than most (he's been on it for longer than I've been alive I think), but his audience participation levels, IE the letters and emails dominate the time between records and all focus on confirming Tels views on the world, IE that it is too fast and nothings like it used to be. It has become a bit of a bore really now.

Radio 3 is fine for the music, and serves it audience perfectly.

Radio 4 for me is the best of the lot. I don't listen during the day, but it's news and especially the comedy at 6.30pm is excellent. Station of choice for the journey home these days.

Look Away Now is superb

As is Any Mark Thomas piece.

I didn't know it was still running. It used to be on a Sunday afternoon, after a dance music orientated show presented by the current head of Sport at Radio Lancs., Gazza `Gary` Hickson.

As for Barker, well I think he may take offence at the allegation he is a Rovers fan, as this indicates here.

I no longer have any respect for this pig of a man.

Gary Hickson is a c0ck btw.

Used to be a big Radio 4 fan and then drifted away to 5 Live. Now I find there isn't enough news to fill a live radio station and have gone back to R4. 5 Live is Ok but repeats itself ad nauseum through the day....and of course has Nicky Campbell who has to be the worst presenter on radio.

Used to be a big Radio 4 fan and then drifted away to 5 Live. Now I find there isn't enough news to fill a live radio station and have gone back to R4. 5 Live is Ok but repeats itself ad nauseum through the day....and of course has Nicky Campbell who has to be the worst presenter on radio.

I'm a fan of Radio 4, but I am told that if you listen to it all week, you hear a lot of repeats.

And the Archers...........which I have listened to on and off over the last 50 or so years would be best instead of 6 episodes a week............1 a week so that something would happen.

I tend to listen to Radio 1, but switch away from DJs I don't like. That seems to have been every idiot they've dredged up to do Breakfast over the past decade, especially the current blob and his band of sycophants. Unfortunately neither do I like Wogan on 2, Christian O'Connell on Virgin, Jonny Vaughan on Capital, or Jamie Theakston on Heart. And I need music in the mornings, so that rules out 4 and 5. Talksport is out of bounds for me - I get to listen to enough idiots as it is, I don't need to tune in to any more.

XFM London breakfast was good until Lauren Laverne left a few weeks ago, her replacement (called Tonks apparently) is crap. So I'm giving BBC6 a try this week - Shaun Keaveney has replaced Phil Jupitus in 6's breakfast slot after a spell at XFM - however I need to invest in new bathroom radio technology to give BBC6 a fair early morning hearing.

I have no problems with the rest of the weekday Radio 1 line up - I used to hate Edith Bowman when she shared the show with Colin Murray, but on her own she seems to have improved. I used to hate Scott Mills full stop - Mark and Lard's slot was sacred - but I actually quite enjoy his show these days.

And whilst the playlist on R1 contains elements I dislike, a decent song is never far away - it's so much better than it was 2/3 years ago. And it'll need to be ...

Radio is interesting at the moment as access to Digital soars. XFM have confirmed that their three stations (London, Manchester and Scotland) will operate without DJs between breakfast and drivetime - starting next Monday (29th May).

Which is a step change in the way we listen to music radio - the bigger stations will be watching with interest.

I'm a fan of Radio 4, but I am told that if you listen to it all week, you hear a lot of repeats.

It's certainly true there are repeats but the second broadcast tends to be at an obscure time rather than main listening periods which for me are 7.0am to 7.00pm. I have friend who does a lot of items for Women's Hour inparticular and other R4 programmes. I was explaining I'd drifted away from R4 because of repetition and I thought Women's Hour was especially bad for this. She confirmed Women's Hour does repeat the subjects of a period of years on the basis the listening audience has changed ~ clearly I was listening for too long

6 Music's breakfast show with Shaun Keaveney is great. He can be quite funny and the music is usually fantastic. In fact, 6 Music has taken over from XFm as my radio station of choice these days.

Always enjoy Radio 5 though, and I don't understand how anyone can listen to the berks on TalkSport!

I must admit I do enjoy listening to Alan Brazil in the morning on Talk Sport. I can well do without the tools such as Adrian Durham and Patrick Kinghorn though.

I did start listening to XFM Manchester for a while, but i've switched to The Revolution 96.2 which seems a far better bet for decent music. Some decent Dj's too such as Mike Joyce from the Smiths, Mani from the Stone Roses and Martin Coogan.

I must admit I do enjoy listening to Alan Brazil in the morning on Talk Sport. I can well do without the tools such as Adrian Durham and Patrick Kinghorn though.

I did start listening to XFM Manchester for a while, but i've switched to The Revolution 96.2 which seems a far better bet for decent music. Some decent Dj's too such as Mike Joyce from the Smiths, Mani from the Stone Roses and Martin Coogan.

I had heard of Revolution but forgot about it. I'll programme that into the car radio.

TalkSport drives me nuts and Kinghorn and Durham are a couple o' pr1cks. I do like Nigel Pearson, Micky Quinn and Gab Marchotti though. TalkSport dont half love an advert! It is however, the only almost exclusively sport station around since the sad demise of Teamtalk 252.

Did Talksport 252 take over from the early 90's station Atlantic 252? I ask as I used to be at boarding school in Cumbria, and that was the only music station we could recieve. And it was bad in hindsight, They used to play Reel 2 Reel's I like to Move it, Urban Cookie Collectives Song about having the key and that Mr. Vain song all the time.

TalkSport is intolerable these days. Its like a quiz station. Take away the needless half hour news bulletins, travel, adverts, How-Low promotions, lucky letter things with a 1 in 1000 chance of winning, boring quizzes inevitably sponsored by Budget Van Insurance, and you're left with probably 6 minutes of actual content in an hour.

I used to listen all day but now just listen to Brazil and Beeky (although they irritate me with their "TEXT IN AND CALL BEEKY A TUBE - 50P PLUS NORMAL SENDING CHARGES!") and the wonderful H&J. Gaunt is an odious man who cuts off callers after 10 seconds, the majority of whom are admittedly cockney van drivers with an IQ barely in double figures, and Durham is just a stupid wind-up merchant.

Did Talksport 252 take over from the early 90's station Atlantic 252? I ask as I used to be at boarding school in Cumbria, and that was the only music station we could recieve. And it was bad in hindsight, They used to play Reel 2 Reel's I like to Move it, Urban Cookie Collectives Song about having the key and that Mr. Vain song all the time.

It did indeed! 24 hours of sport, 7 days a week! Plus it featured James H Reeve in the afternoon. A very droll Mancunian who loved City and Lancs ccc in equal measure. He loved to take the p155 out of the Yorkshire Cricket correspondant! It was broadcast on the Long Wave and I think that is what did for it in the end.

As for Atlantic 252, your school days must have just flown by :blink:

Archived