BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Blackburn Bully Boys?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that's

Neill (Away Pompey) - Stupid tackle on halfway line - Deserved.

Todd (Away Pompey) - Rescinded

Tugay (Home Spurs) - Got the ball. Not even a foul never mind a red.

Henchoz (Home Newc) - Clumsy more than dirty but we'll give them that one.

Warnock (Home Sheff U) - Two silly tackles - Deserved.

Bentley (Home West Ham) - pushed by Neill in injury time into handling ball. Ref obviously having a 'mare (See West Ham "winning goal")

Roberts (Away Spurs) - Ridiculously told ref it was his first foul.

I reckon 3 out of 7 were about right.

So that's

Neill (Away Pompey) - Stupid tackle on halfway line - Deserved.

Todd (Away Pompey) - Rescinded

Tugay (Home Spurs) - Got the ball. Not even a foul never mind a red.

Henchoz (Home Newc) - Clumsy more than dirty but we'll give them that one.

Warnock (Home Sheff U) - Two silly tackles - Deserved.

Bentley (Home West Ham) - pushed by Neill in injury time into handling ball. Ref obviously having a 'mare (See West Ham "winning goal")

Roberts (Away Spurs) - Ridiculously told ref it was his first foul.

I reckon 3 out of 7 were about right.

The Tugay one against Spurs: He was nowhere near the ball actually, and although it was by accident, he did trip Ghaly with his trailing leg. The ref said Ghaly was robbed of a clear cut goal scoring chance - and incidentally, that is what happened. Though it was a bit harsh given fact that that rule isn't used consequently, and there are probably more players that get away with it than who gets sent off. Annoying to say the least, when Tugs was desperately unlucky...

The Tugay one against Spurs: He was nowhere near the ball actually, and although it was by accident, he did trip Ghaly with his trailing leg. The ref said Ghaly was robbed of a clear cut goal scoring chance - and incidentally, that is what happened. Though it was a bit harsh given fact that that rule isn't used consequently, and there are probably more players that get away with it than who gets sent off. Annoying to say the least, when Tugs was desperately unlucky...

To say that he tripped Ghaly suggests intent, which you admit wasn't there. With absolutely no intent that can't be given as a foul. It was a ridiculous decision, end of.

To say that he tripped Ghaly suggests intent, which you admit wasn't there. With absolutely no intent that can't be given as a foul. It was a ridiculous decision, end of.

Intent has nothing to do with it...if you trip someone then it is a foul. It's like when players say "I went for the ball"...yeah, will you missed so stop moaning!

Intent has nothing to do with it...if you trip someone then it is a foul. It's like when players say "I went for the ball"...yeah, will you missed so stop moaning!

Liverpool got a dubious penalty because of 'intent' against Shef Utd where there was no contact.

Liverpool got a dubious penalty because of 'intent' against Shef Utd where there was no contact.

Are you sure it didn't have anything to do with the lunge by the player which didn't connect? Oh and the dive by the Liverpool player to fool the ref?

Intending to win the ball is all well and good but if you miss the ball and get the player that is a foul isn't it?

Are you sure it didn't have anything to do with the lunge by the player which didn't connect? Oh and the dive by the Liverpool player to fool the ref?

Intending to win the ball is all well and good but if you miss the ball and get the player that is a foul isn't it?

With the foot you're actually trying to make the tackle with, sure, but a TRAILING leg?? Come on. I'm not sure on what the law is on this, and I'm not too bothered, because it shouldn't be a red for unintentional fouls, ever. To punish us for bad discipline due to stats when some of the incidents are like that is preposterous. What are they supposed to say to us? 'You'd better start amputating your players so that their legs never trail'?

With the foot you're actually trying to make the tackle with, sure, but a TRAILING leg?? Come on. I'm not sure on what the law is on this, and I'm not too bothered, because it shouldn't be a red for unintentional fouls, ever. To punish us for bad discipline due to stats when some of the incidents are like that is preposterous. What are they supposed to say to us? 'You'd better start amputating your players so that their legs never trail'?

Doesn't matter what part of you trips someone. Tugs made contact, player went down.

Of course red cards can be awarded for unintentional fouls; let us think about it, if you are an attacker of a team running towards the oppositions keeper, and the last defender is beside you, the defender goes for a tackle - trying to win the ball, but all he gets is your legs = red card. There is no way the defender can say "Well, I went for the ball, there was no intent" and stay on the pitch...

Who cares if we're bottom of the fairplay league? Really, why does it matter?

Someone's got to finish bottom.

It costs us money.

It gives the press another stick to beat us with.

It highlights for Premier refs we are a dirty team.

The first year this happened, it was merited as Rovers had been a tough outfit.

Now this is proof that the EPL referees are completely rubbish.

In fact I am rather proud of our achievement.

3 years in a row, hardest team in the league and we have cemented the reputation of bully boys in the rags.

yeah we may get a fine but just think that fight and comitment over the season from the the players has earned us alot of points which took us up the table for more league revenue money.

if we had fannied about and lost games because we wouldn't get in to them, yeah we wouldn't be bottom of the fairplay league but financially we would be worse off.

I think Presty is right - i'm glad we put the boot in where necessary. But I think this season our reputation has cost us point in the league, by refs giving the opposition more free kicks/penalties and sending our men off -or booking them making them tread on egg shells for the rest of the game.

I'm sure that refs talk about specific teams at their cosy get togethers.

It probably went along the lines of 'book savage for his first tackle and he'll calm down for the rest of the game' (which incidently is true, but unfair.)

The first year this happened, it was merited as Rovers had been a tough outfit.

Now this is proof that the EPL referees are completely rubbish.

In fact I am rather proud of our achievement.

It's really not something worth worrying about: Tugay, Bentley, Pedersen, Emerton, Derbyshire, Nonda, Henchoz and Zurab are absolute kittens. The cards we get aren't rooted in reality, as has been discussed in this thread.

When you're fielding half a team that couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag, yet still leading the league in bookings, what can you do?

Looking objectively, what do you do with a team which consistently (3 years in a row) ignores the warnings given to them and refuses (3 years in a row) to mend their bad boy ways? Despite heavy fines.

Points deduction? How wonderfully controversial. The west ham scenario might have saved us starting the season -1 point!

Personally our reds and yellows have been a joke for some time, just playing devils advocate.

The worst of all the cards I saw (or at least the one that infuriated me the most) was surprisingly the yellow card given to Savage vs. Essien. Essien didn't play the ball, and all but knocked Savage out. Savage GOT the ball. Savage got booked. I know a yellow card was overturned in the Championship for "mistaken identity" this year. Rovers should have gone in with the video and said the same.

Tugay was deperately unlucky, it was a penalty, but as far as it goes, the last man argument was dubious as was the goal scoring one, Todds was rescinded Bentley's was so incredibly ludicrous that the ref should end up down in the Championship and as for Roberts one... It was barely a foul, didn't deserve a booking, and the ref went crazy after that. It's nuts. Do what Big Sam did, go to the refs association armed with evidence, and ask them why the hell they're victimising a team.

Doesn't matter what part of you trips someone. Tugs made contact, player went down.

Of course red cards can be awarded for unintentional fouls; let us think about it, if you are an attacker of a team running towards the oppositions keeper, and the last defender is beside you, the defender goes for a tackle - trying to win the ball, but all he gets is your legs = red card. There is no way the defender can say "Well, I went for the ball, there was no intent" and stay on the pitch...

Explain to me the point of a system that punishes people for accidents. The point of red and yellow cards is to avoid people cheating, to avoid them playing dirty INTENTIONALLY. Punishing people for accidents does nothing to deter them in this regard. It only takes football a step closer to being a non-contact sport, the way jerks like Platinin want it. That Tugay decision was preposterous. A booking would have been harsh.

Looking objectively, what do you do with a team which consistently (3 years in a row) ignores the warnings given to them and refuses (3 years in a row) to mend their bad boy ways? Despite heavy fines.

Points deduction? How wonderfully controversial. The west ham scenario might have saved us starting the season -1 point!

Personally our reds and yellows have been a joke for some time, just playing devils advocate.

And looking at it objectively, you can't judge a team on the number of yellows and reds it gets, as it doesn't tell the whole story. We haven't ignored anything, we've played fair, honest football ever since Hughes' first full season. What bad boy ways? The video evidence of our reds and yellows shows we are being victimised, and I expect Hughes to present that to the league if they try to dock us points or give us a huge fine. If anything, WE should be getting compensated for crap refereeing that has cost us points!

Archived