BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Riversiders

cletus

well of course I wouldn't want an empty stand, but a little bit of life isn't too much to ask (from the able bodied) surely?

It takes all sorts Ben. The worst imo and deserving of sniper treament are the complete knobeds who stand most of the time with their backs to the pitch, arms outstretched bellowing some awful raucous foulmouthed ditty that we are all heartily sick of in the hope of encouraging like minded individuals to follow suit. Yeuuuk! :angry: Don't get me wrong we do need is a good atmosphere but what I do think is sad is the lack of invention in the singing / chanting.

btw Don't know how they do it but I'll take my hat off to the red scum just this once as imo they are by far the best at inventing new songs / chants, generating atmosphere and collective singing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me JW Upper is as bad as the Riverside, i swapped seats with my mate just for this game (West Ham), i'm a Season Ticket Holder and usually sit in the BBE Lower, when the BBE started chanting 'There's only 1 greedy b******' to Lucas Niell, I joined in and this old women just starred at me. I was like it's a football game FFS.

No but she should expect that, it is a football match :wstu: , I didn't stop chanting but not everyones the same, others might stop because of people like that.

Alas, football is no longer the domain of the working class male.

There's been a big, successful push to get the ladies to the football. With ladies comes a bit more decorum (usually?) If there's a lady sat near me I am a lot less likely to swear, although there are times when I cannot help myself, admittedly.

A footy match now is a different animal to a footy match 20 years ago. If the wives and girlfriends of the aformentioned working class male were there 20 years ago there'd have been a lot less swearing etc then, as well.

btw Don't know how they do it but I'll take my hat off to the red scum just this once as imo they are by far the best at inventing new songs / chants, generating atmosphere and collective singing.

I agree with you there,the ronaldo song last season at rovers was one hell of a bloody sight.Mind you it helps when they have a full stand to go at :angry:. imo this contributes a lot to why we struggle to beat well supported clubs at ewood.(I`m not blaming rovers board for this as we need to make as much money as possible)

hopefully this season we can get better home support to swing the atmosphere back in our favour. :rolleyes:

It pains me to say this looking at the time scale :( , but I was on the terraces 40 years ago and enjoyed every minute - and there were plenty of other females around. Of course, that was in the south............. :ph34r:

It pains me to say this looking at the time scale :( , but I was on the terraces 40 years ago and enjoyed every minute - and there were plenty of other females around. Of course, that was in the south............. :ph34r:

On the terraces you could stand where you wanted though. If you wanted to be in the throng of 'THE LADS' then you'd go and stand; shout and swear. Or you could stand off to one side and be a bit more civilised? Now you have your seat and that's where you stay (except in the Riverside where you can sit where you want - last season anyway!)

Another thought occurs...maybe Roversmum was a bit of a raver 40 years ago? ;-)

Maybe I'm getting old myself but I got severely non-plussed at Preston. There was a group af lads a couple of rows in front of me up and down like yo-yos, shouting obscenities at the Preston fans for no apparent reason. Any little thing and they'd be up. I just moved in the end as I wanted to actually see the game...

Maybe I'm getting old myself but I got severely non-plussed at Preston. There was a group af lads a couple of rows in front of me up and down like yo-yos, shouting obscenities at the Preston fans for no apparent reason.

That`s the difference between witty & moronic. There`s nothing better than a good sing-song that teases & takes the p1ss, but some people don`t have the brain capacity to realise when they`ve crossed the line.

You say pathetic but it works. Their away support is great and he can take some credit for that.

I hate to praise anything red and Manc but you can't deny the results.

Orchestrated singing is the very opposite of what support should be in my opinion. It should be spontanious (sp), passionate and if possible witty. The Manyoo "songbook" fails on at least two of those.

Besides that I find their songs very irritating and general have to watch their games with the sound down. If it wasn't for Scousers they would hardly sing at all. They seem obsessed.

Besides that I find their songs very irritating and general have to watch their games with the sound down.

I can give you a really helpful tip here. Stop watching their games. It's made me a lot happier person!

Six of us moving over from to The Riverside (I'll never call it anything else), row 9 seat nos mid 30s (I'm guessing that is somewhere around the BBE penalty spot?) from JW lower Darwen end. I feel like I'm going back to my spiritual home! A little boy who used to have a fold up canvass chair that he put up beside the wall mid way between the half way line and BBE, so that he could see over. Said canvass chair sadly no longer with us as it did not survive me jumping up and down on it when the 3rd goal in our 5-2 victory over Plymouth went in after being 2 nil down in 1975.

Although old seats in JW lower were excellent and I will miss the crack we had there with others around us and linesmen and subs warming up. We did try to get the occasional singing going, but overall we've probably failed.

I remember walking down the embankment when the 'new' Riverside stand was first built and commenting how great it would be if the entire ground could some day be like this all the way round!!

Apologises to anyone around our new seats, my brother-in-law George (regular on Radio Rovers) and me can be a bit opinionated!

Orchestrated singing is the very opposite of what support should be in my opinion. It should be spontanious (sp), passionate and if possible witty. The Manyoo "songbook" fails on at least two of those.

Yeah I've never even heard em sing 'gerrintoem'. :rolleyes:

For me JW Upper is as bad as the Riverside, i swapped seats with my mate just for this game (West Ham), i'm a Season Ticket Holder and usually sit in the BBE Lower, when the BBE started chanting 'There's only 1 greedy b******' to Lucas Niell, I joined in and this old women just starred at me. I was like it's a football game FFS.

btw it's "Lucas Neil"

Anyway I'm reading "Clough The autobiography" at the moment (50 pence at the church fete :tu: ). I was reminded that Cloughie was so offended by the swearing and uncouth chants from the mob behind the goal that he had a sign erected saying "No Swearing Gentlemen".

Even now I rem that the crowd worshipped Cloughie so much that the tactic actually worked! Over to you Sparky.

Archived