BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Treacy ?

He is neither quick (like a Gillespie), tricky (like a Duff) or technically gifted, (like a Bentley).

How is he ever going to make a regular Premiership starter ?

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, Treacy's two biggest problems are a lack of determination (nullified by a few rough tackles) and lack of vision (doesn't know what to do with the ball in a very Emerton kind of way).

The question is, does he lack the above because he's nervous and still coming to terms with playing with the 'stars'. Or does he lack them full stop.

With each game he gets, it becomes more reasonable to conclude the latter but I still think that you can't reach a concrete conclusion yet - unless you have seen him play regularly for the reserves, I guess.

Never mind the vision, we have plenty of first teamers on tens of thousands a week, who struggle to see a pass; if Treacy could show more guts, readiness to battle and run his heart out, Rovers could benefit from his presence in the squad. However, if he is a poltroon, then he won't last.

To me, Treacy's two biggest problems are a lack of determination (nullified by a few rough tackles) and lack of vision (doesn't know what to do with the ball in a very Emerton kind of way).

The question is, does he lack the above because he's nervous and still coming to terms with playing with the 'stars'. Or does he lack them full stop.

With each game he gets, it becomes more reasonable to conclude the latter but I still think that you can't reach a concrete conclusion yet - unless you have seen him play regularly for the reserves, I guess.

Never mind the vision, we have plenty of first teamers on tens of thousands a week, who struggle to see a pass; if Treacy could show more guts, readiness to battle and run his heart out, Rovers could benefit from his presence in the squad. However, if he is a poltroon, then he won't last.

I think we're looking at another Jason Wilcox at best. I like my wingers to have a trick or a burst of speed. He appears to have neither.

Rovers reserves welcome Nick Blackman into the fray.

And you thought Ince was history... you thought that the dredging of lower league players was over....you can think again. It will never be over.

Out now. Certificate 18.

:rover:

But no, the influence of Paul Ince can still affect Rovers and so it is with this signing, which is clearly a deferred purchase from the Ince era. Ince gave Blackman his debut for Macc and clearly considered him a rising talent - despite the injuries. Apparently, the guy has suffered from a number of quite serious knee injuries and this explains why he has only made one league start. (And might explain why I fear that he will make no impact at this club - but that's only a irrational hunch which you can take or leave).

info on Nick Blackman

Rovers reserves welcome Nick Blackman into the fray.

And you thought Ince was history... you thought that the dredging of lower league players was over....you can think again. It will never be over.

Out now. Certificate 18.

:rover:

But no, the influence of Paul Ince can still affect Rovers and so it is with this signing, which is clearly a deferred purchase from the Ince era. Ince gave Blackman his debut for Macc and clearly considered him a rising talent - despite the injuries. Apparently, the guy has suffered from a number of quite serious knee injuries and this explains why he has only made one league start. (And might explain why I fear that he will make no impact at this club - but that's only a irrational hunch which you can take or leave).

info on Nick Blackman

On Radio Lancs yesterday, MacDonald was saying they had not seen him in a match, that he appeared quick and he would get his chance in the next few months to see if he could make it with us.

I'm surprised Blackman's got a 2.5 year deal with us. That's not exactly short-term for a guy with no relevant experience (literally) and a history of serious knee problems. ANd released by Man U and Preston.

Anyway, off the doom-mongering, apparently he might play today against Oldham in the Lancashire Senior Cup, ko lunch-time.

Some good points Den, but I think there are a lot of different factors involved in strikers making it at this level. Derbs has shown a fair bit in his time, a nose for goal for sure, however this season he has not looked great, missing quite a few chances. I am not overly optimistic about him ever really making it, I would like to have seen a bit more from him other than running about a lot, but I still believe there are plenty of things for him, and other players 22 and under, to learn through coaching, experience and natural changes in his body, and in his case I believe he is far too young to judge as a 'never gonna make it at this level' kind of player. Most players improve quite a bit between the ages of 20 and 25, strikers included, if they are developed well by their club and get a fair bit of pitch time.

Gally is a couple of years older and will be 25 by the start of next season, so I think time is starting to run out for him. It is a real shame because he is a player I like to watch, if I were Sam I would like to take a closer look at him and make a proper well informed decision on him. I would really like to take a close look at him in training, check on his performances for Plymouth, see how his attitude and application are, and other things like that because he definitely has 'something' about him that we are a bit short of at the moment. From a distance however, if he is good enough to play for us he should really be turning it on in the championship, and while he appears to be doing quite well, that is not really good enough.

Blackman is another young signing, like the Northern Irish lad, Olsen (although he was only 17 IIRC) and probably quite a few more. Obviously someone, and I expect that it was not just Ince but probably our scouts too, so let's hope he turns out well. I don't really get people being annoyed at him coming to Rovers.

• 3 weeks later...

Ipswich v Plymouth today featured a whopping 6 ex-Rovers men:

Ipswich - Alex Bruce (Once hostaged by the Taffy mafia) , Jonathan Walters (Robin Hood of Lancashire, or so he might say), Jonathan Stead (messiah); Plymouth - Paul Gallagher (has a more pestilential 5 year plan been overseen since Stalin?), Alan Judge (ejected in favour of Spit Dioufy), David McNamee (another of Souey's obscene Scottish dalliances).

IS that a record for a league game not involving Blackburn?

BTW: No normative inferences are to be read into this post.

Don't know if it's worth considering but Liverpool fans seem gutted that Rafa has sacked Steve Heighway who apparently had built up a top class youth system and won the FA youth Cup.

God knows we need to try something at that level.

Steve Heighway was given the boot/retired in 2007

I've had a thought on our kids, no not like that.

We developed a habit of signing some young promising foreign kids who just disappear. I assume all the youths stay in accommodation at Brockhall, living together. So they live where they work, their mates are their colleagues, how claustrophobic is that. From having an escape IE home/family/stability to that no wonder they disappear. Why doesn't the club place kids with families like on the continent/past.

People have a habit of falling out of love with things if that thing is all they have. It must just be Football 24/7 for those kids, as much as I love the game you need other aspects to your life, perhaps our kids do too.

I notice a ex rover has broken into the first team at a Champions league club, congrats to Toni Kolehmainen he made his debut a couple of weeks ago, well done.

Not sure he ever played for us, he went back to Finland after being too homesick to continue.

2004-05 with the youths no first team app's. Why was he homesick here and not in Holland????? I ask this purely because almost every youngster we have signed in recent history from abroad seems to dissappear once they pull on our training kit.

Can I ask do the kids live as I have been told all together in a dorm at Brockhall?

Yeah they live in the dorms at Brockhall or with the houseparents down the hill depending on their age groups

Checked my stats, he made one sub appearance for the under 17s

Thanks.

Over 16's at the Dorm and younger with the families, I assume?

I think he was 16 when he joined us, and moved to AZ in 07. He's now a Right Back at AZ doing well.

Where on earth did you get 04-05 stats for the under 17's?

I think the living arrangements might be the other way around, youngers in the dorm (16 and above) elders (17/18s) down at the houses at the bottom.

The player profiles from all the departed players are still on the website system, so I can get access to their details

I think the living arrangements might be the other way around, youngers in the dorm (16 and above) elders (17/18s) down at the houses at the bottom.

The player profiles from all the departed players are still on the website system, so I can get access to their details

So you really are JW's stooge? I'd assumed you'd just edited it.

Nice one, it must be every fans dream to work at Ewood.

Not sure he ever played for us, he went back to Finland after being too homesick to continue.

Lee, are you sure he left because he was homesick or was it because the hapless academy staff thought that he was not good enough.

We can argue all we like about the academy but no-one can defend the awarding of a contract to Martin McCubbin - a midfielder who is currently on loan to a non-league club.

Every watcher of our U18s/reserves has recognised that McCubbin is NO-WHERE NEAR good enough and yet he was given a new deal.

It seems totally bizarre that such an inadequate player (let's face it, he's on loan in the non-league for a very good reason) was given a fresh deal when others in the past have been booted out without so much as a reserve sub appearance.

Archived