BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there not somewhere more local where the reserves could play?

Does Darwen have a ground?

I don't know Darwen's ground but the pitch needs to be of a good standard which is one of the main considerations - imagine . There's plenty of grounds around - I know that North End have sometimes played at Chorley, whcih has adequate facilities but a pitch that is barely acceptible for the Unibond.

I reckon we should turf Bolton off the LFA and play there!

It's a scandal that Notlob have the LFA pitch and we don't....Leyland has far more connections to rovers....I'd definately go to more reserve games if they were closer to home...

Yeah, but the kick off is at 6pm....!!?!?!? Is it me, or are rovers trying their hardest to cock it all up. Surely, if the kick off was 7, then more fans would consider it.....

Yeah, but the kick off is at 6pm....!!?!?!? Is it me, or are rovers trying their hardest to cock it all up. Surely, if the kick off was 7, then more fans would consider it.....

I think it might be you... the article in question says

To co-incide with a Team Rovers Fun Day at Ewood Park

assumedly to encourage kids to attend :glare:

Ahhhh, that makes so much more sence. I couldn't figure how more than 150 people wouldn't want to watch some of those footballers in action for the fraction of the cost of a normal home game :huh:

Thanks!

Love how some folk go straight into rovers fan bashing from t'other side of the world without facts.

Yes Darwen have a ground, and apparently rovers did once consider it - however the facilities were not good enough I believe.

Surely even Accy's stadium would be better for Rovers fans that all the way to Christie Park.

have you seen accys pitch? the last time i saw it,it was awful ,not 100% sure if its improved but it was horrendous.

I don't know Darwen's ground but the pitch needs to be of a good standard which is one of the main considerations - imagine . There's plenty of grounds around - I know that North End have sometimes played at Chorley, whcih has adequate facilities but a pitch that is barely acceptible for the Unibond.

I reckon we should turf Bolton off the LFA and play there!

Surely something could be sorted, our groundsman/men could give advice or a little time?

Travelling to Morecombe its a bit like having two away teams. Plymouth used to commute to Tiverton in Devon now its only an hour away but it must have always felt like an away game. Whilst not the best they moved to Saltash and now as opposed to the old average of under 100 fans they went up considerably (400 plus for the derby). However the pitch issue was the reason they switched to Home park and now only use tiverton when the pitch is in poor condition. But they plan to get it back in Plymouth as soon as possible.

Surely the money saved on travel costs could be used to bring the pitch up to a better standard?

Den,

Fair play to the club for trying to get more people involved. Once the contracts up though I'd like to see us play closer to Blackburn. Accy's ground is a great shout its not too far and can't be that bad if they're league two.

Fair play to the club for trying to get more people involved. Once the contracts up though I'd like to see us play closer to Blackburn. Accy's ground is a great shout its not too far and can't be that bad if they're league two.

I think another League club use Accy's ground for their Reserve games.

Yes Darwen have a ground, and apparently rovers did once consider it - however the facilities were not good enough I believe.

Surely even Accy's stadium would be better for Rovers fans that all the way to Christie Park.

There's no problem travelling to Christie Park :closedeyes:

Andreas Arestidou?? this is the lad who came in from Liverpool for a trail in the summer, is it not.

I didn't know we had kept him on, is he on loan or what?.

Sorry if I have missed something. Ignorance is bliss. ;)

No, Arestidou is a half-Cypriot (i fink) lad who has come through the ranks at Rovers. He was an England youth team goalie and looked to be a real prospect. Then Frankie Fielding and Bjoern Bussman emerged and Arestidou was near enough shown the door. He went on loan to his home team, Lancaster City (i fink) and was, as far as I know, going to be released.

However, since Allardyce has taken over, Arestidou seems to have won back the reserve team jersey

We really do have a glut of talented goalies. From what I read, we got Bussman ahead of some of the biggest teams in Germany and major Premier League clubs. However, having so many goalkeepers is arguably a weakness for their individual development because now Bussman can't get a game for the ressies.

If we do have good young keepers, then 1 or 2 should be loaned to some crap league 1 or 2 teams like Barnet or Crewe, so they can get more practice. Dunno how Fielding has been doing this season at whichever club(s) he has been.

Which of course can be counter-productive, when they're shipping goals left, right, and centre. Won't do much for the youngsters' confidence. It's better they play for a balanced team before they get thrown into the lion's den.

Just seen that - get the man out of retirement

I don't think so Hughesy - he's 71 now.

:rover: father of one of our better posters as well :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Why thank you waggles :unsure:

Cool Claret? Or maybe Sam Dingle? After all Jim Furnell was associated with Burnley.

That's always going to be there isn't it? How annoying (for me).

The old fella started there and played a single solitary game for that lot before escaping to Liverpool. Now don't get me wrong, that's one game too many as far as I'm concerned (and many others no doubt), he was clearly young and foolish and probably desperate and possibly blackmailed. He then went on to spend 17 years at Ewood in various roles starting in 1981. Still attends all games at Rovers since he left the club.

So yes you are right bazza - but that was one game half a century ago. You wouldn't let it lie!!

The old fella started there and played a single solitary game for that lot before escaping to Liverpool. Now don't get me wrong, that's one game too many as far as I'm concerned (and many others no doubt), he was clearly young and foolish and probably desperate and possibly blackmailed. He then went on to spend 17 years at Ewood in various roles starting in 1981. Still attends all games at Rovers since he left the club.

He is in good company though Bob-Andy Todd, James McEveley... the list is endless.

Archived