BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game also and on the whole agree with what Blue Blood has said.

However, just for those wanting to know Sam was at the game in the Upper Tier, there was a point where Benni was clean through and tried to be too fancy there was a look from Brunskill looked up to Sam and obviously they weren't too happy.

With Brunskill in the technical area was Bobby Mimms tonight.

Gunning is 19 and has played a few times for Ireland's youth teams is a possible one for the future if his development continues.

I personally thought that Doran had a super game tonight and I would put him as Man of the Match, very busy and always threatening with the ball even when he did have to cut back.

I agree about Olsson being possible wing material he did look dodgy at times tonight in defence but good going forward. I wouldn't worry about Simpson, unless we get relegated he certainly won't be signed.

Middlesbrough were a poor side really, they did well opening half hour after that we were all over them and our defence had a quiet game after the first 30 mins where Zurab managed to hit our own bar. Closest Boro came really.

Crowd was good not sure likewise about the actual amount but quite a few not many seats free. Wish they would have advertised it as free though then we may have got more fans in.

Good review Blueblood. I was at the game and I saw it very much as you wrote it. There were a number of interesting points to take home.

it was interesting to see Grella perform. Central midfield has been the problem for us all season and one wonders if Grella is an answer. I still feel like i don't kmow the player, so many half starts followed by injury. He was certainly very much involved in the game always there in the midfield, makes a lot of neat successful passes. Is this enough? He doesn't make the telling Tugay like pass.

Zurab was magnificent. So much time, so much control and so calm - apart from when he turned the ball on to his own crossbar but that can happen to anyone!

Gunning did not look out of place along side of him and I was impressed. Equally Doran did not look out of place besides Grella and his two goals were nicely taken.

Again Carlos was the most entertaining aspect on the field by a mile. Most shots and most telling passes. it is no wonder that so many get so excited by him and wonder if he could make a telling contribution at the highest level.

Lastly, benni was his usual enigmatic self. Always got the feeling he was not too concerned about the match but frustratingly saw what a magnificent talent he could be. After seeing Samba upfront on his own against Liverpool, I have little doubt that Benni has it in his armory to act as a target man if he chose to be one. He can head a ball and bring it down under control very well

You do know it was Hodge who scored two? :)

Doran played left wing, Hodge was centre mid.

Apologies, the comments were meant to be about Hodge who plays centre mid not Dorran the curley haired young lad who plays on the wing. It does sometimes take me a while to associate the correct name with the correct player. Unfortuneate that, as it was Hodge I was impressed with and a bit surprised as I had not heard alot about him before last night.

Doran looks OK but I take the points about him playing on the "wrong " wing. It seems a great pity at this stage of his development. He goes flying down the wing, looking like he is going to do some damage and then pulls up short to cut inside

• 3 weeks later...

Can't be bothered to moan about Rovers many errors so I thought I'd say that one of the few good things to come out of Rovers recent games has been the promise of Aaron Doran.

I guess he will be Rovers Young Player of the Season, won't he?

The new Duff? We can hope.

Can't be bothered to moan about Rovers many errors so I thought I'd say that one of the few good things to come out of Rovers recent games has been the promise of Aaron Doran.

I guess he will be Rovers Young Player of the Season, won't he?

The new Duff? We can hope.

Doran is more Damien Johnson than Damien Duff rover6.

The way Rovers have treat some of the young reserve players this season has been nothing short of atrocious. The bottom line is, If your not Irish and you haven't cost us a fortune, you've no chance. Not one local academy raised player as had a chance this season. Rovers have paid signing on fees or fees to Irish clubs for the likes of Flynn, Doran, Gunning etc all at the expense of the local players who are now mostly with other clubs. Doran apart, the others are certainly no better than the players released.

The one Irish lad they should have stuck with was Eddie Nolan, but they let him go to Preston for peanuts, where he's now a regular first team player, played 25 Championship games and keeping callum Davidson out of the team.

Brunskill's side should have walked their reserve league. They must be the only team in the division who regularly play 3 or more, sometimes as many as 6 Premier League experienced players in the team. Every other clubs rserve sides are an extention of their youth teams. This is probably down to the fact that Brunskill doesn't pick the team. He's told who's playing.

I doubt Brunskill will still be here next season.

The way Rovers have treat some of the young reserve players this season has been nothing short of atrocious. The bottom line is, If your not Irish and you haven't cost us a fortune, you've no chance. Not one local academy raised player as had a chance this season. Rovers have paid signing on fees or fees to Irish clubs for the likes of Flynn, Doran, Gunning etc all at the expense of the local players who are now mostly with other clubs. Doran apart, the others are certainly no better than the players released.

The one Irish lad they should have stuck with was Eddie Nolan, but they let him go to Preston for peanuts, where he's now a regular first team player, played 25 Championship games and keeping callum Davidson out of the team.

Brunskill's side should have walked their reserve league. They must be the only team in the division who regularly play 3 or more, sometimes as many as 6 Premier League experienced players in the team. Every other clubs rserve sides are an extention of their youth teams. This is probably down to the fact that Brunskill doesn't pick the team. He's told who's playing.

I doubt Brunskill will still be here next season.

If you're going to win things bananaman you need goalscorers in your team, when i've watched them on a couple of occassions they dont have anyone to fit the bill, never mind two strikers they dont have the One.

If you're going to win things bananaman you need goalscorers in your team, when i've watched them on a couple of occassions they dont have anyone to fit the bill, never mind two strikers they dont have the One.

Carlos has been pretty good for the reserves so I'd say we have one. He doesn't have anyone to play off though.

Also didn't think Nolan really stood out when I watched him for the reserves, whilst they've got rid of the likes of Kane (who's been poor for Carlisle) so think that's the right shout there.

Doran and Gunning - the latter to me in particular - have looked some of the most promising players i've seen in the reserves for a while. Can't criticise the club for promoting/pushing them.

I do think that given the resources pumped into the acadamy, and the importance of the youth team for smaller premiership clubs like ourselves, it is criminal we haven't developed more promising youths though.

Carlos has been pretty good for the reserves so I'd say we have one. He doesn't have anyone to play off though.

Also didn't think Nolan really stood out when I watched him for the reserves, whilst they've got rid of the likes of Kane (who's been poor for Carlisle) so think that's the right shout there.

Doran and Gunning - the latter to me in particular - have looked some of the most promising players i've seen in the reserves for a while. Can't criticise the club for promoting/pushing them.

I do think that given the resources pumped into the acadamy, and the importance of the youth team for smaller premiership clubs like ourselves, it is criminal we haven't developed more promising youths though.

When I watched Carlos against Bolton at Leyland he was totally ineffective. The young Bolton lads put him in their pocket until he was duly substituted. The vast majority of reserve players are nowhere near good enough to even play football at championship level never mind premiership level.

The other reserve teams are rubbish aswell, so for English clubs the future doesnt look good at all when you watch football at that level.

When I watched Carlos against Bolton at Leyland he was totally ineffective. The young Bolton lads put him in their pocket until he was duly substituted. The vast majority of reserve players are nowhere near good enough to even play football at championship level never mind premiership level.

The other reserve teams are rubbish aswell, so for English clubs the future doesnt look good at all when you watch football at that level.

Interesting - whenever I've seen him he's done well. I have serious reservations over whether he'll make it at a premiership player but from what I've seen even with his massive limitations his talent means that he's always one of the best playing.

Fully agree though that reserve team football is of a very poor standard. Loaning players is the way forward until they get this sorted.

Every credit to the youngsters, well done.

I hope we can see someone like young Ellis coming through in a few years (10!!) and making the grade as a top English striker in the future.

Who knows, he might just be Rovers first £100m sale !!!!!

Well done Simon Ireland and co.

The absolute waste of time that is called "The Academy" never fails to disappoint.

Apparently, Rovers did exceptionally well to sign goalie Bjoern Bussman ahead of many major German sides and the odd ENglish one. Rovers reputation, in terms of facilities and the fact that we had a few German lads at the club already, were significant factors, no doubt, in winning the race.

Now, the German U18 keeper has been relegated to the Rovers U18 subs bench. He has, according to some quarters, requested to leave Rovers.

WHY can't we keep any of these guys and actually convert our investment into results? If it happens once or twice, you can dismiss it as bad luck. But it happens with ALL our foreign academy recruits - and many British ones. They show early promise but nothing comes of it.

No doubt, we spent a fair amount of money luring a hugely rated German youngster to Rovers. Why bother in the future? It's all just a waste of money.

The absolute waste of time that is called "The Academy" never fails to disappoint.

Apparently, Rovers did exceptionally well to sign goalie Bjoern Bussman ahead of many major German sides and the odd ENglish one. Rovers reputation, in terms of facilities and the fact that we had a few German lads at the club already, were significant factors, no doubt, in winning the race.

Now, the German U18 keeper has been relegated to the Rovers U18 subs bench. He has, according to some quarters, requested to leave Rovers.

WHY can't we keep any of these guys and actually convert our investment into results? If it happens once or twice, you can dismiss it as bad luck. But it happens with ALL our foreign academy recruits - and many British ones. They show early promise but nothing comes of it.

No doubt, we spent a fair amount of money luring a hugely rated German youngster to Rovers. Why bother in the future? It's all just a waste of money.

The problem is that Bussman has not been very good this season. He has had some terrible games and looked far from being a potential Premiership goalkeeper. I really can't say that I am surprised by the decision.

The problem is that Bussman has not been very good this season. He has had some terrible games and looked far from being a potential Premiership goalkeeper. I really can't say that I am surprised by the decision.

Is that down to Bussman or the coaches? It just seems to happen too often. Some of the Brockhall staff seem to be bomb proof and I dont think much productivity arises from comfort zones.

Tsumou

Kohevelian

Bussman

De Vita

Donnelly

Pezzoni

Peter

Interesting to note that 3 of them now hold down places in a top european league teams, Koln, Frankfurt and AZ. I'm afraid Rover6 is right even if you just look at those few all of them where very highly rated before coming to Rovers, Donnelly died once he reached the U18's he'd captained england for two years???? before. So all deemed not good enough or wanted out for whatever reason and three have now broken into the first teams in their respective leagues (that are all of a high standard). Surely now questions can be asked?????? Bussman was 15 and playing for both Colonge U17's and for Germany, Highly rated comes to Rovers now not highly rated, Perhaps it has something to do with the compo we would have to pay Colonge if he signs pro-forms??? (don't know if he has or not can't find anything)

This trends been there for years.

Tsumou

Kohevelian

Bussman

De Vita

Donnelly

Pezzoni

Peter

Interesting to note that 3 of them now hold down places in a top european league teams, Koln, Frankfurt and AZ. I'm afraid Rover6 is right even if you just look at those few all of them where very highly rated before coming to Rovers, Donnelly died once he reached the U18's he'd captained england for two years???? before. So all deemed not good enough or wanted out for whatever reason and three have now broken into the first teams in their respective leagues (that are all of a high standard). Surely now questions can be asked?????? Bussman was 15 and playing for both Colonge U17's and for Germany, Highly rated comes to Rovers now not highly rated, Perhaps it has something to do with the compo we would have to pay Colonge if he signs pro-forms??? (don't know if he has or not can't find anything)

This trends been there for years.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that any of these lads are good enough to hold down a place in the English Premier League Majiball. In all the time the academy has been in existence, not one player who has been released has then come back into the Prem, with any other club. You say that's because the coaches at Ewood are "spoiling" the lads? I suggest that the trend you mention, is in fact a trend of bringing in youngsters that are simply not destined to be good enough.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that any of these lads are good enough to hold down a place in the English Premier League Majiball. In all the time the academy has been in existence, not one player who has been released has then come back into the Prem, with any other club. You say that's because the coaches at Ewood are "spoiling" the lads? I suggest that the trend you mention, is in fact a trend of bringing in youngsters that are simply not destined to be good enough.

OK, I don't have a problem with that view. We employ two scouts full-time at the academy, and have done for a considerable time, they are answerable to the academy director and if you look at it from your point of view, then again it is a failing of the running of the academy.

At the end of the day if Sam signed a bunch of dud's in the summer we'd be calling for his head, not the scouts. All these forgein signings will surely have been approved by the man in charge and thus he is accountable for the decision.

Archived