BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

Quick Sparky Marky, tell Wenger!!

Wenger has made a career out of developing and buying young french lads. Petit, Gallas, Viera, Henry to name but four, ok he is French but he has done quite well out of them.

I didnt mention Cantona, Zidane and such like, the French players are technically excellent and the young players over there are miles better than our young lads!!

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but how many of these had you heard of until they left france.

To be honest only Zidane and Dugarry as Rovers tried to sign them under Dalglish, but they all had almost immediate impact in the prem or La Liga

A young reserve side enjoyed a convincing 5-1 win at Vauxhall Motors tonight. A good team display with Jason Lowe and Geariod Morrissey looking particularly impressive in the centre of midfield. Maceo Rigters was included up front alongside Julio Santa Cruz.

The first half was fairly even with the Rovers holding a slender lead thanks to Santa Cruz. However, during the second half the Rovers looked the stronger team with Marshall and Haworth causing problems down the flanks. The Rovers stormed into a 4-0 lead despite the heavy rain that fell for much of the second half.

An unfortunate mistake by Jake Kean allowed the home side to pull a goal back but the Rovers immediately responded with a fifth goal. Rovers scorers - Santa Cruz, Lowe, Marshall, Morris (pen) and Haworth.

Rovers researves beat southport 3-1(Blackman Marshall and Gunning)...................

fille.p.jpg

Rovers new star intake Filip Pivkovski a Swedish youth international took the limelight in Spain and was one of the outstanding players............The Attacking Midfeilder/Winger can be seen in action in the link.......

There is another International Striker due this week in for a 2 week trial.......meant to be very hot!...............

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find anything on the official site so thought I'd ask here. What happened to the lad that we got from Arsenal? Banton is it? He sounded extremely promising (scoring two on his debut for under 18's unless I'm mistaken) but I've heard nothing since.

Edit: He's got an academy profile on the official site, which says he played in around 14 games last season for the academy.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this on another thread and feel this is worth posting here!

The real problem with the development of players is the constant tampering with the laws of the game!

Firstly, we get now a starting eleven and now 7 substitute on the bench!! OK only three can play but that is 18 players out of the squad involved in the first team!

So, the consequence is, that Reserve team football then simply becomes an extension of the academy, players are not really moving up levels, years ago, a young lad would go into the reserve team and be playing against seasoned proffessionals, as a young player they would have the technique/ability and they would then apply it against bigger stronger

pro's who had the experience of first team football, so you bridge the gap between Academy/Youth football to the first team.

This doesnt happen now and the gap (due to the foreign imports) is getting wider.

Look at Rovers reserve team last year, made up basically of academy players, whats the point of that, not only at Rovers, but other clubs as well.

So we need to bridge the gap somehow and its not going to happen under the present system for a young player will not be given a run of games to adapt to first team levels, especially in the premiership!!

On the positive note there's some good news about some of our younger players today.

Fielding has been named in the U21 squad for England again, I still really think we should keep this kid and hopefully the talk of him going was just speculation. I understand perhaps he needs some more first team football so perhaps a loan move could be a good option again but I want us to keep hold of him. He's a good young keeper that's going to get better and although it seems a long way off now he'd qualify in Europe as home grown which is always helpful.

Marrow and Gunning have gone out on a months loan to Oldham and Tranmere respectively. I find the one month deals a little odd, perhaps it's a case of letting them have a look before they commit any further. I was hoping that Gunning might get chance to play in the championship this year but perhaps he's not quite ready yet, at least he'll hopefully be getting some regular competitive football.

Marrow has certainly come on a long way from a kid that one a keepy up comp or something similiar not much more than a year or so ago.

Did anyone watch the England under 21's tonight?

Just been reading a report on the Sky Sports website and young Frankie Fielding was mentioned a few times:

"English counterparts Scott Loach and Frank Fielding caught the eye with a string of saves, with each side guilty of poor finishing."

"However, Watford keeper Loach stood firm in the England goal before being replaced by Blackburn youngster Fielding at half-time."

"And Fielding secured a draw for England as he pulled off an outstanding save to deny Vurnon Anita with just two minutes left."

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_re...3177343,00.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That young lad who we signed from Arsenal, Banton, bagged 5 as the academy beat Barnsley 5-1.

I remember Nicko saying that he was an exciting prospect - looks as if he may be right.

Seems to be a good team spirit between them all. Watching the banter fly around on facebook.

Banton seems pretty down to earth for an ex-arsenal youth as well.

Archived