BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

Under 18's beat Newcastle 2-1 at lunch time today.

Rovers went 1-0 up against the run of play after Banton (Yes him again) robbed the ball off the defender to leave him one on one and he slotted it home well. Newcastle equalised on around the hour mark I think with a shot beating Swann at his near post. Rovers then got what was the winner with a brilliant curling shot from Michael Potts, hitting it from 25-30 yds out and curling it into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

For Newcastle they had Sami Ameobi (Shola's youngest brother) a huge guy who played out wide but won very few headers and whined a lot, very similar to his brother then.

Rovers lined up with Josh Swann in goal, Jackson Ramm at right back, Damilola Ajagbe at left back, and Matthew Pearson and Anthony O'Connor at centre back. Midfield three of Gearoid Morrissey, James Knowles and Michael Potts (who generally stayed deep) with Micah Evans and Jason Banton supporting Tom Hitchcock from wide positions. So basically 4-5-1 defending and 4-3-3 in attack.

Swann- Made some brillaint saves when the odds were against him even though he let the goal in at his near post he saved more certain goals.

Ramm- Good game for him against Ameobi for most of the game who had a lot of height against him but he stuck at it, not afraid to get stuck in and good going forward also.

Ajagbe- Right footer at left back but did very well there, very quick which helped him get up and down the pitch very well. He also did well when Ameobi swapped sides later on in the game.

Pearson and O'Connor- Probably the reason, along with Swann, why we are undefeated so far this season, they are there to clear everything in and around the penalty area must have won 90% of headers today.

Potts- Good ball playing midfielder who can get stuck in and get forward as well as shown with his brilliant goal, Captain for the side also which I think shows how high he is rated I reckon. (Not a striker as FM reckons) I would say he was the Under 18 version of Tugay.

Morrissey- Has played for the reserves already this season and it shows, very confident on the ball, being able to hold it up, run with it and with his passing, strong player who can bulldoze his way past players.

Knowles- Got stuck in very well especially first half and was always around to put pressure on the ball.

Evans- Played right wing in the game and seemed to struggle a bit I think this may be due to the fact that he is used to playing up front. Tracked up and down well though.

Banton- Possibel star in the making if he continues to work. Can make something out of nothing with his skill and determination as shown with his goal. No defenders could handle him convincingly when he got the ball, needs to get more involved at times though.

Hitchcock- Not the tallest of players but won a lot of headers for teammates. Full of running and came close to scoring with an overhead kick.

Newcastle started well but soon Rovers came out on top, Newcastle had good spell in the second half leading upto their goal which was due to a wide space in midfield left by Rovers.

Newcastle players and coaching staff weren't happy with the Ref at all, including the coach (Kenny Wharton) at the end telling the ref it was the worst performance he's ever seen. SOUR GRAPES because the ref wasn't that bad just decisions were very close calls. They had a pen appeal turned down but I reckon Swann got the ball.

Also I think the under 16's also beat Newcastle, I think the score was 3-1.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of interest who appoints the Acadamy boss and who is he accountable to? Is the acadamy a seperate strand to the business or are all footballing matters overseen by the same senior management structure?

Not certain but I THINK it's the same management. Would like it confirmed, mind.

He certainly has a fair bit of experience, but these guys only get judged on what they produce...and that takes years.

An awful lot of people fancied that post, so there will be some disappointment around elsewhere.

Pass on our regrets to Owen Coyle that he was over-looked this time. ;)

He certainly has a fair bit of experience, but these guys only get judged on what they produce...and that takes years.

An awful lot of people fancied that post, so there will be some disappointment around elsewhere.

I've heard that he's seen as a very good scout and signed Walcott for Swindon when he was 10. Did he spot many when he was at Everton Nicko? Any idea why he left Derby after only one year?

Got to say, I hoped we might go for someone with a more impressive CV. He hasn't much of a record as an Academy Manager has he?

Who would you have gone for Bish?

I'm not dismissing Cannon, he seems to be a good scout from when he was Head of Recruitment at Everton. He hasn't much of a CV as an Academy Manager though.

Assuming we were never going to look abroad I would have liked to have seen us really push the boat out and try for Jim Cassell at City. They have just brought in Brian Kidd over his head at their Academy and he might be unhappy there. Perhaps he would have still been unattainable though.

There's also Steve Holland at Crewe and Dave Hockaday at Watford. Both have good track records. As does whoever heads Southampton and Crystal Palace's Academies...

I've heard that he's seen as a very good scout and signed Walcott for Swindon when he was 10. Did he spot many when he was at Everton Nicko? Any idea why he left Derby after only one year?

Got to say, I hoped we might go for someone with a more impressive CV. He hasn't much of a record as an Academy Manager has he?

Walcott seems to be the guy's main claim...but he has got plenty of experience up and down the country.

I don't think he was at Everton as long as people have suggested and I'm not sure he is directly responsible for too many of their captures. But he must know the area well.

The Derby departure was because he was a Paul Jewell appointment and paid the price when Nigel Clough came in.

Good to see the academy being taken seriously...although it is ironic that 'discoveries' like Hoilett, Jones and Lowe are starting to come through now from previous regimes.

Jones may get a game with the first team soon. Lowe is well-respected and looks the part to me. Hoilett is obviously a talent.

From the two matches I've seen them, Lowe struck me as a physical midfielder, but perhaps not the most skillful player. Jones looked good, but not many young defenders excel at senior level. Are these considered the two most promising reserve teamers at the moment - Hoilett excluded? What about Doran? I think he'll find it hard to break into the squad with the depth we have at the moment, might a loan period be on the cards?

What kind of talent is Jason Banton? He seem to have scored a lot. Is he a striker or can he play on wing too?

I've only seen him once, the game against Newcastle last week, but he is a very skillful player with a lot of pace. Defenders seem scared when he gets the ball and foul him if necessary so he stops. Can make things happen from nothing it seems! I'm hoping to watch most of the Academy home games this year so will let you know more. He played on the left of a 3 man attack (or 5 man midfield) on Saturday but I believe he does play up front mainly.

From the two matches I've seen them, Lowe struck me as a physical midfielder, but perhaps not the most skillful player. Jones looked good, but not many young defenders excel at senior level. Are these considered the two most promising reserve teamers at the moment - Hoilett excluded? What about Doran? I think he'll find it hard to break into the squad with the depth we have at the moment, might a loan period be on the cards?

I think sending him out on loan may be a good idea but to the right club, he does seem a very confidence type player and with Sam also saying today about sending some of the youngsters out on loan I think he may be one of those earmarked.

I would say that Jones is very highly rated, he's only 17 or 18 and playing in the reserves and was on the bench for the Carling Cup when he could still play for the U18 obviosuly. Lowe seems to have just snuck up from nowhere really, he played against Dundee Utd in pre-season, but herbergeehh says he's a hard working midfielder but not skillful but both times I've seen him I would say he was the opposite in the way that he likes to get forward and look for killer passes. Although I've only seen him twice also.

Lowe seems to have just snuck up from nowhere really, he played against Dundee Utd in pre-season, but herbergeehh says he's a hard working midfielder but not skillful but both times I've seen him I would say he was the opposite in the way that he likes to get forward and look for killer passes. Although I've only seen him twice also.

He might have deceived me if that's the case, to me he looked like an ankle biting midfielder. (is that the term?)

If he can do more attacking roles, I stand happily corrected.

It's hard to find suitable clubs for players like Doran, I guess that's why Sheffield United and Oldham both have two of our players, and why Plymouth has had a few of them. (Judge is currently out of the team though..) I hope that's why, anyway, picking the right employers for our young ones should be a top priority. Olsson and Doran in particular are at a point in their careers where it's, not make or break, but very important to get games and become senior players.

Banton and Hitchcock in the ressie squad to face Wigan today.

Parsonblue, it looks like the U18 forwards, however unready, are going to supersede Santa Cruz II soon.

BTW: Interesting fact; we have the son of Austrian legendary striker, Ivica Vastic, on our books. His name is Toni and he plays the sub role for our U18s.

Academy drew 0-0 against United down at Brockhall yesterday morning. An entertaining game though none the less, with both sides having chances but neither getting the break through. Not many clear cut chances for either side but Rovers probably just about created the better ones, with the majority coming from turns and shots from edge of the area, although United did hit the post in the 1st half. I personally thought that Rovers finished the game the stronger despite what United's website says about the match I thought it was two strong sides cancelling each other out.

Rovers team: 4-3-3 (4-5-1) Kean, Ramm, Hanley, O'Connor, Hall, Parry, Morrissey, Potts, Banton, Morris, Hitchcock. Subs: Evans for Morris and Vastic for Hitchcock.

Morris and Banton looked lively on the wings and constantly swapped sides which caused problems, Banton again looked threatening when he had the ball. Parry played extremely well as the midfield holder especially as I think he is a centre back normally, but he delivered some amazing passes around the pitch. Ramm gets a lot of stick off his team mates for taking time over a lot of things, some is justified but I think they could give him more positive feedback seeing as we only signed him from Cambridge in the Summer and it's likely to be quite different in terms of pace of the game. Potts looked good breaking from midfield a very tidy player and in a way reminds me of Emerton on how he can break from midfield and with control and passes.

Vastic put in a lot of work for the time he was on the pitch putting United under a lot of pressure.

I think the Academy will be pleased with the result to remain unbeaten and with an England Scout there as well I think a few may have given him food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I challenge anyone to find a better game of football for free.

Rovers Under 18's beat Man City 4-3 today.

Lining up with their usual 4-5-1 (4-3-3) but with a few changes to the team that has played recently, I'm guessing due to international call-ups.

Swann, Ramm, O'Connor, Parry, Hall, Potts, Bowen, Morris, Evans & Banton (on wings), Hitchcock.

Bench: Billington, Ajagbe, Knowles, Pearson, (not sure if there was a sub keeper but I know Urwin was injured for under 16's)

The game started off with City on top with Rovers pressuring well but finding it hard to get their foot on the ball. With this in mind Rovers surprisingly took the lead with their first proper chance on goal. Ramm and Evans combined down the right before Evans beat his man whipped in a cross where Hitchcock caused a problem for the two centre halves, the ball fell to Hitchcock who lay it off to the edge of the area and Morris put his foot through it and it was passed the keeper before he could move.

Rovers took heart from this and started to pass the ball about with more confidence and pushed forward with good runs, this was where the downfall came for the equaliser. After Rovers had pushed forward they were caught in possession with players forward and City broke quickly. Playing the ball down the right they crossed to the far post where Ramm was caught under the ball and City Winger heads to goal which Swann can only palm into the net. Then just before half time the same scenario, with City hitting us on the break again and this time playing it down the left they crossed to the far post with a City played unmarked who took the ball very well on the volley giving Swann no chance.

Rovers seemed deflated as they went off for half time. At half time Banton was subbed off after a quiet half for him due to him not getting much time on the ball. This meant Bowen moving from CM to the left wing and Knowles coming on in CM. City again started the better going close with a few chances. However, Rovers came back again with Evans breaking down the left he had a good shot saved from the keeper which went through the keeper, Evans rounded him stopped the ball from going out and ended up poking the ball home from a tight angle.

Rovers then went into the lead for the 2nd time in the game. Once again great work by Evans helped him skip past 2 City players before delivering a pin-point cross into the middle and Hitchcock jumped high to head into the far corner with a well directed header. Rovers needed to keep things tight but unfortunately straight from kick-off City pushed forward and Ramm made a rash challenge in the area giving the referee no choice but to give a penalty which was well taken giving Swann no chance.

Both sides saw the chance for 3 points with each side having good chances. Rovers should have had a couple but for a brilliant block by a City defender and poor finishing by Pearson from the resulting corner. However, Rovers grabbed the winner in what turned out to be almost the last kick of the game. Bowen broke down the left and slipped a ball through for Evans who capped off a brilliant performance with a powerful finish. City just had time to take kick-off before the final whistle went.

Either side could have won this and maybe a fair result would have been a draw but Rovers certainly won't mind, especially against Brian Kidd's Academy team. Rovers battled well and took the chances they had very well.

Swann in goal- Couldn't do anything about any of the goals, didn't have to save many other than that but made a couple of great blocks when called up on. 6

Ramm Probably his best game I've seen him play. His reserve appearance (even though he was sent off) looks to have had a good effect on him. Did give pen away though with a rash challenge. 6

Parry caught in possession a few times and struggled with the City CF's, was subbed half way through the second half for Pearson. 5

O'Connor looked more comfortable than Parry on the ball, won plenty of headers and always made himself free along the defence. 6

Hall again playing at LB which he did well in but can be caught out by the wingers runs, he does support well going forward though. 6

Potts brilliant first half but found it difficult in second half to get his foot on the ball and pass like he can do, got more space towards the end though and made things happen. 6

Bowen struggled a lot in the first half in the centre of midfield. Was put out on the left in the second and played better but was reluctant to take his man on, when he did well his crosses were good. Brilliant ball through for the winner. 6

Morris good performance in CM with good passes and very good movement, City found it hard to keep track of him. Very good finish for the first goal. 7

Banton Didn't see much of the ball in the first half but was threatning when he did have it, caused problems with his pace and trickery. Subbed at half time for Knowles. 6

Evans My man of the match with involvement in every goal including scoring 2. Caused many problems with his pace and has a good cross and finishing on him, best performance I've seen from him so far. 9

Hitchcock I'm beginning to understand why he has got a pro contract. Puts in so much work in harassing the CB's and has a good jump on him to flick balls on, not the strongest of players but there's promise from him. Took his goal very well with a well placed header. 8

Subs: Knowles Got stuck in well and good passer of the ball a very good option to have in CM. 6

Pearson Did well when he came on letting nothing get past him at the heart of defence. 6

I do feel if we would have had more attacking options on the bench Bowen would have been brought off. I think Hanley and Morrissey were on international duty. Not sure when Vastic was today.

Brian Kidd and Scott Sellars were both there today. Also U16's drew 2-2 and are also unbeaten so far this year so well done to them!

Archived