BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel Vs Lehman

Maybe you'll all find this prospect as humorous as I did, but I figured I'd post it anyway. I know a bunch of Arsenal fans. All of whom insist that Lehman is and always has been a superior keeper to Friedel. They also maintain that all the top four teams' keepers are better than Friedel, and blissfully ignored me when I told them that Ferguson would probably have bought Friedel if he had been as cheap as Van der Saar, as both keepers were recommended to him by Schmeichel. So, although this probably isn't the least biased place to bring this up, I thought I'd get everyone's opinion on this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only keeper in the premiership I'd have over Friedel is Cech and that is mainly because of his age. He's reliable and can pull off some fantastic saves. His basic skills can sometimes be brought into question, but I don't think it is a major issue. Certainly there is no competition between he and Lehman.

I have to say i think Friedels great strength is his consistency and it is rare for him to make a mistake.Whereas Lehman has made 2 howlers in a week,before sunday i can`t remember the last time Friedel dropped a clanger.So i would say i rate Friedel better than Lehman.

I know it is easy for me to say this as i am Rovers through and through and may be a bit blinkered !

Out of interest though i will ask my mates at work what they think.We have a good variety of different fans there ie:city,dingles,united,chelsea,liverpool etc.

I have to say i think Friedels great strength is his consistency and it is rare for him to make a mistake.Whereas Lehman has made 2 howlers in a week,before sunday i can`t remember the last time Friedel dropped a clanger.So i would say i rate Friedel better than Lehman.

I know it is easy for me to say this as i am Rovers through and through and may be a bit blinkered !

Out of interest though i will ask my mates at work what they think.We have a good variety of different fans there ie:city,dingles,united,chelsea,liverpool etc.

Er, Friedel dropped a clanger against Arsenal. Apart from that, I can't remember the last time he dropped one either.

And personally, it's not even close between the two. Friedel is by far superior. He's the most consistent keeper in the Prem. Cech is better though.

As far as I'm concerned, Friedel is pretty much every season in the top 3 keepers that season, something no other keeper who has been around for quite a while can claim. Often there'll be one keeper who impresses me as much or possibly even slightly more than Friedel (Niemi, Jaskelainen), but overall I wouldn't swap him for anyone in this league except Cech.

Edit- I just read that Lehman has won European Goalkeeper of the Year twice, in 1997 and in 2006. How the hell did he manage it in 2006??? Just because he had a good World Cup of what, 7 games?

Last weekend Friedel made the first mistake that I can remember since following Rovers avidly some five seasons ago.

He is a far better keeper than Lehmann who, other than having a bad temperament, is also prone to making regular mistakes. Two absolute shockers in two Premiership games so far.

The only keeper I would take over Friedel right now is Cech, and he is probably the best keeper in the world. The likes of Cudicini and Scott Carson would be great replacements, mind.

The amusing thing is that both keepers cocked up at the weekend. Friedel's was the worst mistake I've ever seen him make, and it wasn't as bad as Lehman's (MOTD's words, not even a blue-tinted eye's opinion). Further, Lehman's wasn't the worst I've seen him make, and the one he did LAST WEEK was worse!!

Haha, he may have had a couple of shockers, but surely he's better than Almunia?! German number one as well, over Oliver Kahn at the world cup too.

I think he's usually quite solid, but with a bad temperament. Not in the same league as Friedel though.

I rate Almunia, I'd certainly be playing him at the moment before Lehmann. The latter made another clanger tonight and was only saved from embarressment because Owen couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat!

Oh, and he's a complete prick too!

The only keeper I would take over Friedel right now is Cech, and he is probably the best keeper in the world.

There is a little known guy at Juventus and a young bloke at Madrid who would probably disagree

In the league I would only swap him for Cech, and to be honest with the exception of Buffon, Casillas and Julio Cesar, I would rate Brad with all the top keepers in the world.

Van Der Sar, Canizares, Toldo, Dida, Reina ect are all about equal

No offence to all the Friedel fans here but i think it's time we consider changing a keeper.

Personally i think his reflexes are quite slow nowadays compared to his peak a few years back. Quite often, you'll notice that he'll just be standing still when a shot goes into the net.

He's been a great player for the club (still remember a couple of years back when we played arsenal and they couldn't get one pass him though they totally dominated us) but considering his age, i think it's time to give brown or someone else a chance.

There is a little known guy at Juventus and a young bloke at Madrid who would probably disagree

In the league I would only swap him for Cech, and to be honest with the exception of Buffon, Casillas and Julio Cesar, I would rate Brad with all the top keepers in the world.

Van Der Sar, Canizares, Toldo, Dida, Reina ect are all about equal

Agreed, but lets also not forget ...

Van Der Sar - Ferdinand, Vidic

Canizares - Cannavaro, Sergio Ramos

Toldo - Materazzi, Samuel, Chivu

Cech - Terry, Carvalho

Buffon - Boumsong (just kidding :lol: )

Anyway you get the point I guess. Though I wouldnt replace the bulldozer that is Samba or the Admiral, you can't say that on a world scale they are not such big names...

In that respect Brad should be given even more credit

However I do sometimes tend to fear corner kicks and free kicks because he can sometimes tend to be a little static. But when comparing that to reflex saves, numerous penalties saved, one on one saves etc, you can find that one little defect is quite acceptable.

...love you Brad !

I happen to think that Timo Hilderbrand is a very good keeper and very underrated.

And i honestly believe that Brad is the best keeper in the Prem.

Cech will only ever have to make a few saves a match where as Brad is called into action more often.

So of shots to saves ratio i'd go with Brad.

In my opinion Casillas is one of the most overrated players in the worlD.

Why is that Eddie? Madrid have been woeful at the back for a number of years yet he manages to keep a shed load of clean sheets.

He is brilliant

I probably only watch a Real Madrid game twice a month, so I'm not the best judge, but I've seen him make mistakes and not position himself well relatively regularly. He just strikes me as a keeper who no one would mention if were playing for pretty much any other side. I'm not saying he's awful, for me is an average top level keeper; which in my mind makes him overrated.

Archived