BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] American Keepers

Paul

Yesterday Howard and Brad were at opposite ends of the pitch, Fulham have Keller and Reading have Hahnemann. A quarter of the first choice keepers in the PL are American. I just wondered if any of our our American members can comment on why keepers seem to be so succesful when other positions don't produce PL quality players from the USA.

i had a discussion a few years back about this with some friends, but they were all americans, so it may not have much merit behind it... seeing as though the theory has to do with cultural differences between countries, and none of us have ever actually left the USA. lol.

anyway, one theory was that part of it has to do with the culture of american sports, and the culture of european sports. we were saying that americans are more willings to be keepers than a lot of other countries seem to be. someone even brought up how in ice hockey, a lot of children choose goalie as their favorite position, just because of the fancy equipment, and the fact that they stand out more. it's almost a prestige thing to some to be a keeper, because you're 1 of 1, instead of 1 out of 5 in hockey, or 1 out of 10 in soccer...

we thought that maybe in europe, a lot of the most athletic players want to be the goal scorer, or in a less thankless job than goalkeeper... that may not be true, like i said, since i'm not an expert on european culture.

but it's possible that americans put more emphasis on the glory of goalkeeping in soccer, and goaltending in hockey than other countries, as a culture... which could lend to their success overseas.

take it all with a grain of salt though, as we were just a bunch of idiots talking with nothing to back anything up. :)

Interesting viewpoint there Cole.

In my youth, (long time ago :blink: ) the last kid picked usually ended up between the posts.

Who were usually those with no ball control, couldnt run, not very athletic didnt understand the rules and had national health spectacles, with a patch over one lense.

When they grew up the became referees. ;)

Back to Paul's point, I wonder whether it's to do with American upbringing within their own form of Football, where hand coordination and body movement appears to be the norm.

It would appear from tv and movies that kids in america tend to play catch ball a great deal, where we tend to throw a ball for the dog to retrieve, parents in the USA throw balls for the kids.

I think a lot of it could have to do with the fact that American sports are usually hand related. My American friends are much better at throwing and catching than the vast majority of my English friends, even when comparing some average athletes to some very good ones.

Along with the hand-eye co-ordination sports, as mentioned, the average American is built bigger stronger and more athletic, I think there are just more physical specimens whose body types are well suited to being keepers.

And I suppose you all have bigger willies as well, and invented everything............ :lol:

I think Eddie and Alan 75 are right with their opinions. And such ways of think would lead the goalkeeper to be as much a hero as a striker, and not as Ruud Gullit once said there 'because they can't play football'.

More than anything it has to do with the fact that even Americans who really like Association Football just don't grow up with a ball constantly at their feet the way kids in the rest of the world do. Goalkeeper is the one position you can learn to play at a high level without developing most of the skills normally associated with Association Football.

Well, it's funny i came across this topic. Now, I'm not big or strong, but for 14 years I played American football and baseball. When I started playing soccer, the kids I was playing with had been doing t most of their lives. I couldn't get a decent two touches in a row to save my life, so I tried out keeper. Right away I knew it was the spot for me; I was quick enough to move and adjust, and had enough height and jump ability to cover the upper 90's. My hand-eye coordination has always been above par due to popular American sports and I think thats the main reason behind it.

When I'm not playing keeper, I still play LB or RB, but thats just cause i can't dribble; I'm much better at kicking it to the people who can. =]

Well, it's funny i came across this topic. Now, I'm not big or strong, but for 14 years I played American football and baseball. When I started playing soccer, the kids I was playing with had been doing t most of their lives. I couldn't get a decent two touches in a row to save my life, so I tried out keeper. Right away I knew it was the spot for me; I was quick enough to move and adjust, and had enough height and jump ability to cover the upper 90's. My hand-eye coordination has always been above par due to popular American sports and I think thats the main reason behind it.

When I'm not playing keeper, I still play LB or RB, but thats just cause i can't dribble; I'm much better at kicking it to the people who can. =]

Thank you for making my point. (see above)

I have to agree. I grew up playing football since i was 2-3 years of age. I remember first playing keeper when i was about 8 or so and before i started playing keeper i had played baseball, basketball,hockey and american football. I also rememeber making my first "real" save and knew it was the spot for me. i hvae been playing keeper since i was 8 and even got to play in costa rica. Have pretty much played it my whole "football" life. im not that big and have dove very well for my self. Still dont get the whole "you have br 7'8 to be a good keeper" I guess that why i have a speical place in my heart for pepe rena. Also i remember watching Big Brad growing up and watching him making fantastic saves and thinkg "man i wanna be just like him" Over all i think the hand eye cordanation thing REALLY helps A LOT. GO USA!!! :D

Archived