BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sorry! But You Lot Need Some Education!

Practise/ Practice is a big talking point in school and I always get my reports back because I have used the wrong one!

I think every year I have nailed it and every year I have done it wrong!

Practise - is the verb

Practice - is the noun

So if I am right the practice in the post I quoted should be spelt - practise because it is the verb of to practise, isn't it???

I googled it and found mainly "practice".

Then I looked it up in my wife's Concise Oxford Dictionary-a school prize when she attended a Grammar School in Coventry, and that had a refence to " as practice makes perfect ".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many people on here sing the Rovers songs/chants in perfect English?

During the City game the Bburn End sang to the City fans, " you'll never win f**k all"....and "you've never won f**k all."

Both double negatives, of course.

After the game a City fan came up to me and thanked the Rovers fans for their endorsements. <_<

WOW! - I only wanted to have a bit of a moan about something rather trivial (for this MB)! Seems like some people aren't vg at language so have a moan at the red tape of grammar rules "can't be bovvered wiv all dat". Fair enough. I dont really care how people communicate (especially on here) but if you cant get the basics right don't expect to be taken seriously when it comes to the serious things like job applications!.

Oh and this is the ICBINF forum so I'm just expressing an opinion. You can give yours too (as long as you dont get at the mods! :ph34r: ).

I think 2 weeks without proper football,and the bitter Savage saga,and treatment of David Bentley,as got us all a bit uptight :rolleyes:

I think we can all put this down as just going through a bad "spell"

If I can understand the basic message that a poster is trying to state,then it's not really a big deal.

I've been trying to get into college for the last 2 years,but because I'm very hard of hearing,they can't learn me until I get an hearing aid.It's very fustrating,because I builtt my hopes up,and now have to put everything on hold until next September.

I'm trying to find out how to become a full time student when I'm 40 + in years,but until I sort this hearing aid out ,then I'm wasting my time.

A serious question.

English language is a very important qualification,but is English Literiture a necessity as an essential G.C.S.E

A serious question.

English language is a very important qualification,but is English Literiture a necessity as an essential G.C.S.E

Possibly not, but there are still merits to it that I think benefit a well-rounded education. I did English Literature as my degree subject and found that my spelling/grammar etc subliminally improved an awful lot simply from reading some of the best authors of all time. I've always found literature a lot more interesting than language, and I know this was the same as a lot of my peers. Especially at GCSE level, if a student is more enthused by reading good prose than listening to mind-numbing lessons on grammar, then I think they are far more likely to pick up the grammatical things that they are supposed to be learning anyway.

Possibly not, but there are still merits to it that I think benefit a well-rounded education. I did English Literature as my degree subject and found that my spelling/grammar etc subliminally improved an awful lot simply from reading some of the best authors of all time. I've always found literature a lot more interesting than language, and I know this was the same as a lot of my peers. Especially at GCSE level, if a student is more enthused by reading good prose than listening to mind-numbing lessons on grammar, then I think they are far more likely to pick up the grammatical things that they are supposed to be learning anyway.

Well I tryed tthem both last year,at Blackburn College,English Language and English Literature.I thought I could cope,and just fall back on the paperwork,but I couldn't handle the classroom.I was missing to much.As hard as I was trying,I had to give it up.

Hopefully next week,I'm taking my first steps towards getting an aid fitted,and with the loop system in college,I will be able to compete on a fair level.

I want to try Travel and Tourism,and even Conservation,but until I get an aid,there's no point taalking to student servivces .I'm fustrated ,another year wasted,but I'm not giving up.

They say Travel and tourism is an advanced course.Basically,I'm trying to concentrate on getting the essential G.C.S.E'S ,so I can go further ,hopefully a degree.

Of course it's not a necessity, but we can't just educate people on what's essential or not. Then we'd just have a country of kids who could read, write, do sums and eat their five a day.

If anything more GCSE's like English Lit should be taught at GCSE level instead of more 'practical' lessons, hopefully they'd understand the worth of learning/using correct English etc. if they had an appreciation for it and a good knowledge of it's history and roots.

i use words like "tidy" which is a common word here where i live and some board members would never of heard it in a sentence like mine before.

That isn't the point though. I'm sure everyone uses words and phrases in every day speech that they don't type on here, because they just look daft when written down. I wouldn't dream of exclaiming "THAT'S WELL NECTA!" on here, but I doubtless say it a fair bit in real life. Using it in real life isn't an excuse for writing it really, especially when it reads horribly, I'm sure it wouldn't kill you to replace 'well tidy' with 'very good/excellent' etc.

I think 2 weeks without proper football,and the bitter Savage saga,and treatment of David Bentley,as got us all a bit uptight :rolleyes:

I think because of your personal situation EB, you kind of took what Damage said and exaggerated it tenfold. All he said was that people using 'of' instead of 'have' is very annoying (which it is). There was nothing about university educations etc. implied at all, that sort of basic English is learnt before GCSE level.

Abbs I think the main reason people see English literature as important is because it encourages children and young people to read. In an age when we have to hide the remote, the mouse, the connector cables and the keyboard to get them off their backsides this is very important. As bellamy has said, read a well written book, it doesn't have to be great literature, and one will learn better how to use the language and be well entertained and have to think. Plenty of benefits in there.

It's an education Abbey. It's no coincidence that schools/colleges/universities that focus more academic courses like English Lit/Languages etc. achieve better results and therefore their pupils go into higher paid jobs. In reality, 'real world' skills can be learnt relatively quickly, there is no need to teach it at GCSE level.

I really don't like that idea of 'what good is it in the real world'. There's plenty of time to live in the real world, but from 4-18 let people have the chance of being educated properly, they can learn how to fit pipes or mend cars if they so wish when they're finished.

Aside from that point, there are practical uses to English Lit. type courses anyway. The ability to read, understand and analyse a piece of someone elses work is a very good skill to have, and a very difficult one to do properly. All skills that are developed like that an early age can be transferred into so many different jobs, it's a very tunnel-visioned view to think it only applies to things like librarians and authors.

You're all as bad as each other, except Damage, who really should at least have an advanced grip on the English language before preaching over grammar and spelling!

Such poor use of English and so many grammatical mistakes...

Fortunately, I am completely infallible! :lol:

Personally, I think that people should always try to write the best standard of English they are capable of. For those who don't or argue against doing so, would you rather read a book, magazine, newspaper or even personal, opinionated literature such as blogs or diaries, etc in poorly constructed sentences, littered with poor spelling and grammatical mistakes?

Using capital letters, for one, is such an easy thing to do and makes posts easier to read and will not put people off reading them.

I'm not saying that everybody has as good a grip on grammar, or even the English language, as others, but as long as they try, then you can't really be faulted.

but mending pipes and fitting exhausts is how most people earn a crust...and you dont need a degree on here to post.

Of course not, I said people can choose to do that after they leave school if they wish. I'm from a very working class family Abbey, I'm not trying to come across as snobbish or anything, I'm really in no position to. If children were taught practical things like that at school above academic things like English Lit. then you'd really be restricting how far they could go, not to mention how much they'd learn.

If they decide, for whatever reason, it's not for them at 16/18 then fair enough, but at least give them the chance to begin with.

(I've really digressed from what I wanted to say here, about how this topic wasn't about education. :ph34r: )

think because of your personal situation EB, you kind of took what Damage said and exaggerated it tenfold. All he said was that people using 'of' instead of 'have' is very annoying (which it is). There was nothing about university educations etc. implied at all, that sort of basic English is learnt before GCSE level.

Well I left school early,and got work in factories most of my life.My hearing was always a factor in leaving school early.

I went to basic English class's 2 year ago,on advice from studemnt services,but after 2 months the teachers agreed I shouldn't be there because I should already be doing G.C.S.E,and they couldn't understand why I had been sent to Gateway in the first place,but the term had started and it was too late to get enrolled.Last year,I went to G.C.S.E,but the pressure to cope with listening in a classrom was too much,and I couldn't keep up.

The college have been great and supported me ,it's the powers that be that are letting me down,but now they are being forced to listen to me,and I'm getting support ,at last.

So,yes.I do agree,even though literature doesn't seem important,it is still an important qualification as far as employers are concerned.

What I need to know.Have I the right to be considered a full time student at my age (40+).I don't think I will be able to get back into college until next term, but I want to know what are the right questions to ask.

Talking about English ,and what annoys certain people,my English teacher used to make me laugh.She hated the word "nice".

" I want any adjective ,but nice."

but chuck its not school its a message board

I know, I just said I get annoyed by the of/have thing. It's something that annoys me everywhere, not just on this messageboard. This messageboard is the best in terms of lack of text speak etc. that I've posted on, so it is a minor grievance to have really...maybe I was best just saying nothing.

What I need to know.Have I the right to be considered a full time student at my age (40+).I don't think I will be able to get back into college until next term, but I want to know what are the right questions to ask.

I'm sure some people I went to sixth form with were 40+. I think the problem there would be money, I don't think the government would supply any funding, although I could be wrong. You'd almost certainly have the right to be considered a full-time student if you went to university, you may be able to do a HND course for a year before going on to do a proper degree. Stuwilky can probably give you much better advice on this, I believe he works in this sort of area.

Just a little lesson for some of our (younger?) contributors .........

Its not "could have been/done/etc" its "could have been/done/etc"

Its not "should of" but "could have"

Its not WOULD OF but bloody WOULD HAVE!!

Ohh it makes me so bloody mad.

Can we start a language and grammar section to the MB? All miscreants must pass several tests before being allowed back into the big world!

I bet all our foreign readers know what is correct.

Come on Britain! At least learn to use your own language correctly.

If I have not written it proper then I should of and I apologise like. innit.

Don't sweat it mate. It will all be over soon. Not too long now you'll all be talking Pakistani or Indian anyway.

I know, I just said I get annoyed by the of/have thing. It's something that annoys me everywhere, not just on this messageboard. This messageboard is the best in terms of lack of text speak etc. that I've posted on, so it is a minor grievance to have really...maybe I was best just saying nothing.

I'm sure some people I went to sixth form with were 40+. I think the problem there would be money, I don't think the government would supply any funding, although I could be wrong. You'd almost certainly have the right to be considered a full-time student if you went to university, you may be able to do a HND course for a year before going on to do a proper degree. Stuwilky can probably give you much better advice on this, I believe he works in this sort of area.

Cheers,LeChuck.

Well,like I said,I've to be patient.Next week I'm going for an hearing assessment,then in about 6 weeks it should be ready.Meanwhile I've took up with some Scuba divers who at moment are just helping me to snorkel to get used to the equipment,but when they feel I'm ready they'll learn me to scuba,and tell me when I'll be ok to advance to an open water course,and then hopefully ocean college.

In the past I've been happy with my lot,but now education is means everythingg because one day I want to work in marine conservation.

At moment it's all "ifs" and "buts".Getting the first step on the ladder is important.

Afterall,life does begin at 40.

Don't sweat it mate. It will all be over soon. Not too long now you'll all be talking Pakistani or Indian anyway.

You might not be on to something. I didn't see on the front page of the Mail the other day: 'Britain to implement two languages that don't actually exist'.

You might not be on to something. I didn't see on the front page of the Mail the other day: 'Britain to implement two languages that don't actually exist'.

Urdu is not an appointment at the barbers, but if you can speak it, you will have no problem buying your veggies down the Khyber pass. That's the one in Blackburn I mean :lol:

i read loads of books paul but it doesnt help me when im working ..

But it helps you as a person and makes you the individual, and a thoroughly decent one in my view, that you are. More important than work, in my opinion.

(ABBEY @ Sep 14 2007, 15:06 )

but mending pipes and fitting exhausts is how most people earn a crust...and you dont need a degree on here to post.

It's not just that, though, is it, Abbey. If you have a fair command of English and you have to, for example, put in a complaint about customer service, describe what happened in an accident, or write letters to your children's school, it's all so much easier. If you can't express yourself properly in good English it makes life so much more difficult.

If you work on your own account you need to know how to deal with customers and authorities, no good doing the work if you can't write a bill or add it up. Even if you are an employee fitting exhausts you may need to know how to deal with customers' queries, answer the phone, discuss a complaint, query your wage slip etc.

Most people that you come into contact with in everyday life are not too impressed if you are unable to string a few words together without swearing.

ewoodblue, I did an HND when I was 50. I was also offered employment by the College when I had completed it. It's a disgrace that you have been messed around and I wish you all the best in your future. Keep us posted.

Archived