BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sorry! But You Lot Need Some Education!

Just a little lesson for some of our (younger?) contributors .........

Its not "could have been/done/etc" its "could have been/done/etc"

Its not "should of" but "could have"

Its not WOULD OF but bloody WOULD HAVE!!

Ohh it makes me so bloody mad.

Can we start a language and grammar section to the MB? All miscreants must pass several tests before being allowed back into the big world!

I bet all our foreign readers know what is correct.

Come on Britain! At least learn to use your own language correctly.

If I have not written it proper then I should of and I apologise like. innit.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats the same you tit :rolleyes: and theres an apostrophe in it's

this is a message board for all ages chief, yeah some folks may not have the same grammar qualities as yourself but the bottom line is their heart is in the right place and i can deal with that :)

text speak is banned, no offense to the oldies but most of their generation don't understand or like it which is fair enough.

tip: if you use your internet through Firefox there is a automatic spell check option which is handy.

i admit my grammar isn't top of the class, i use words like "tidy" which is a common word here where i live and some board members would never of heard it in a sentence like mine before. i can see where your coming from but at the end of the day theres always the ignore option if you find it's causing you to have a stroke etc.

we have members contributing from all over the world on the team i love on this board, yeah some grammar may do your head in but this isn't a English class and they are trying their best init boyo ;)

Can we start a language and grammar section to the MB? All miscreants must pass several tests before being allowed back into the big world!

You should start at the top so to speak!

try listening to the BBC news, its not exactly the Queens English is it

:rover:

It doesn't bother me too much most of the time.

'Should of' is annoying - it derives from 'should've (should have) ; 'would of' is would've (would have), and really, to someone who paid attention in their Grammar classes, shouldn't (should not) happen.

I think the main gripe with the 'old school' is not with the posters but with the system that has let them down. I first noticed a major deterioration in the understanding and writing of English around twenty-five years ago when I was in the Civil Service where one would expect good literacy amongst the recruits.

I remember not so long ago correctly typing 'their' in a letter and a spell checker changed it to 'there' - that raised the blood pressure a bit........

The misuse of the apostrophe is annoying too, it's (it is) so easy to remember the correct use!

However, this is a message board. I am grateful for and enjoy the input of diverse Rovers fans and would hate to stifle anyone's creativity by commenting on their English. I am also grateful for the rules regarding text speak (I don't have a problem with understanding it but many do) and use of swear words - on so many boards people's lack of ability (or laziness) to use perfectly adequate descriptive words result in every other word being a profanity.

lol

Presty don't take it so personally.

Yes I made a momumental faux pas in my first sentence as you so astutely pointed out.

Just having a bit of a gripe about the ridculous way that "of" has been transposed for "have"

Using new words and slang like "tidy" are fine. In fact thats how language develops. And english is propbably the most fluid language in that respec innit. But the of/have scenario is a different matter as it really BUGS me and offenders should be bloody shot.

Oh I'm glad someone posted this. I can't handle seeing "would of" "could have" "should of" etc. all over the place, it's so annoying.

Actually Damage, I did want to post in the topic you created in Ask Admin about this, but as you had a pretty intense debate with Ste B going I didn't want to intrude. I was going to ask why the filter was change at some point, I liked the one that used to replace an incorrect 'of' to something like 'have (like you should HAVE paid more attention in school).

Please can we have that back?

To be fair, I think it's come about because when people speak they usually say things like "could've", which does sound like 'of' in fairness. Still, I don't think there's any excuse for writing it when you get older than 12 or something, surely by that age people should have read enough things to know that's not how it's written.

It's idiots like you that do my head in.

Who do you think you are.

Do me a favour ,never sit next to me at a football match.

It's you sir that needs the education when it comes to knowing the difference between a football fan and a college student.

lol

Just having a bit of a gripe about the ridculous way that "of" has been transposed for "have"

Isn't it because that is how the Yanks say it and like everything else then gets used over here?

The ones that make me laugh are :-

we was (we were)

we where (we were)

three off (three of)

Most of the Norwegians on here write excellent English with hardly any grammatical errors in what is their second language. I wonder why?

lol

Presty don't take it so personally.

Yes I made a momumental faux pas in my first sentence as you so astutely pointed out.

Using new words and slang like "tidy" are fine. In fact thats how language develops. And english is propbably the most fluid language in that respec innit. But the of/have scenario is a different matter as it really BUGS me and offenders should be bloody shot.

You want to ram English down peoples throats ,and then you use words such as Faux pas to emphasise yoour point.

If you really must try to educate people into English grammar,then at least speak in English and not French.

Imagine having your native tongue 'rammed down your throat', shocking business altogether.

Anyway, from the 'Ask Admin' forum:

Can previous misdemeanours be brought out and held against posters in perpetuarty no matter which thread they were made on?

I presume you mean 'perpetuity'? ;)

You want to ram English down peoples throats ,and then you use words such as Faux pas to emphasise yoour point.

If you really must try to educate people into English grammar,then at least speak in English and not French.

From the Compact Oxford English Dictionary

faux pas

/fo paa/

• noun (pl. same) a social blunder.

— ORIGIN French, ‘false step’.

I think this topic should be taken as tongue in cheek and not seriously, EB. Life is is too short........

Imagine having your native tongue 'rammed down your throat'. Shocking business altogether.

Anyway, from the 'Ask Admin' forum:

I presume you mean 'perpetuity'? ;)

Mybe we should all just write a thousand lines,or better still just go and stand in the corner with our hands on our heads.Until Sir says otherwise.

"I can't go Rovers tonight,mam.I'm in detention "

Archived