BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pubs

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of an era as The Sportsmans closed at the weekend. It had seen far better days to be honest but still a shame to see yet another Blackburn pub close. It will mean one less pub on the Revidge Run in future as well. Thwaites are shutting it but making the sure the buyer cannot use it as a pub as part of the sale restrictions.

It still will have been one of only 52 pubs closing this week in the UK...

UK is losing 52 pubs a week

The Gibraltar is up for sale too.

.....also, the Railway pub in Pleasington is looking to change hands. Its tenancy is up for sale.

The Gibraltar is up for sale too.

.....also, the Railway pub in Pleasington is looking to change hands. Its tenancy is up for sale.

1. No matter how well kept the beer is in the Gib there are simply too many roofs all around with muslims under em for a pub to survive. How many pubs can folk on here rem shutting over the years on Whalley and Audley range? Dukes Brow / Revidge is rapidly following suit.

2. The Railway usually smells of 'drains'. Also for todays breathaliser intimidated society who buy expensive houses and cheap supermarket booze whilst watching gazillions of channels on Sky a good old fashioned local like the Railway holds no attraction.

1. No matter how well kept the beer is in the Gib there are simply too many roofs all around with muslims under em for a pub to survive. How many pubs can folk on here rem shutting over the years on Whalley and Audley range? Dukes Brow / Revidge is rapidly following suit.

Far out. That's quite a statement to make on this forum.

I think i know what you mean though :o

Far out. That's quite a statement to make on this forum.

Why? ES might put it a little more diplomatically by suggesting it's down to market forces but that might be misleading. Ultimately 'local' pubs in Blackburn aren't selling enough beer cos increasingly the local residents don't touch the stuff.

I got the local 'shuttle' through my door tonight. There was a bit in it about 'Blackburn in 2030' & what do people think it`ll be like??? :huh:

.....i just turned to my partner & said "asian".

Blackburn is doomed in my view.

On the subject of the 'railway' in plezzy, we went in last Sunday (i`d never been in before) it was small & quaint & sold one or two decent real ales. I had a couple of pints of Ruddles.....which were very nice ;)

TBH, we went in to have a nosey cos the pub company send me info on pubs up for grabs. I enquired about a pub last year & they send me regular info on pubs now.

I liked the railway, but they seemed to be asking rather alot of money for a tiny pub in the middle of the biggest pub slump probably ever.

I`d love a pub like that, but not at that price.

I got the local 'shuttle' through my door tonight. There was a bit in it about 'Blackburn in 2030' & what do people think it`ll be like??? :huh:

.....i just turned to my partner & said "asian".

Blackburn is doomed in my view.

On the subject of the 'railway' in plezzy, we went in last Sunday (i`d never been in before) it was small & quaint & sold one or two decent real ales. I had a couple of pints of Ruddles.....which were very nice ;)

TBH, we went in to have a nosey cos the pub company send me info on pubs up for grabs. I enquired about a pub last year & they send me regular info on pubs now.

I liked the railway, but they seemed to be asking rather alot of money for a tiny pub in the middle of the biggest pub slump probably ever.

I`d love a pub like that, but not at that price.

Thats why they keep changing tenants and that is also a reason that pubs are closing. The figures do not stack up.

Speaking of which I feel one of the the biggest scandals in recent years has been perpetrated bty breweries and pub companies in relieving people of their redundancy packages / property profits / family legacy's. Tenants have been put in places where the breweries know they have not a cat in hells chance of surviving simply to siphon off their bank balances. I know it's usually a case of a fool and his money is soon parted but if by a miracle they do survive and prosper the rent shoots up! :rolleyes:

the reason pubs are closing is because people just dont go in the numbers they used to ..... people prefer to drink cheap alcohol at home and then complain when the 'their' local closes?????

half a dozen pints in the pub, or 24 cans from the supermarket? everybody has a choice, and most people prefer to do the later ..... sad, but true!

the reason pubs are closing is because people just dont go in the numbers they used to ..... people prefer to drink cheap alcohol at home and then complain when the 'their' local closes?????

half a dozen pints in the pub, or 24 cans from the supermarket? everybody has a choice, and most people prefer to do the later ..... sad, but true!

I agree totally.

I worked for a big brewery until last year (made redundant). Whilst there, the company had regular monthly briefs with the staff. They`d give us lots of facts & figure on how their products were selling. Over the space of a few years, the general trend was off-trade (bottles & cans) was going up & up. On-trade (kegged beers) was steadily declining.

The bosses said they were concerned about the fall in on-trade but refused to admit it was because the off-trade was doing so well.

The stupid thing about it is, it is far far cheaper to produce & sell a pint of kegged beer than it is to produce & sell a pint of bottled/canned beer. The keg gets used over & over again (low costs) & can be moved in large volumes. Every can & bottle costs money, it comes in fancy packaging (costing more money) & is only used once......yet a pint of kegged beer is far far more expensive to buy:huh: work that one out eh?

When i started at the brewery, i asked how much is costs to produce a bottle of stella. I got told the total cost (brewing,bottling,packaging,handling) before it left the brewery....was about 12p a bottle. A pint of kegged beer costs in the region of 3p.

The breweries are a classic case of killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Their off-trade has destroyed their on-trade.....& it`s the on-trade that gave them the most profit.

The breweries are a classic case of killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Their off-trade has destroyed their on-trade.....& it`s the on-trade that gave them the most profit.

Don't forget that the Govt appears to be in cahoots with them. They tax alcohol like hell yet allow the supermarkets to use it as a loss leader. :angry:

People now skulk around in their front rooms watching Sky movies with a bottle of Pinot Grigio for company rather than strolling to the local for a couple of pints and a bit of company and conviviality.

Communities are in tatters these days. There are 3 main focal points where individuals within communities historically integrated, schools, church and the pub. In the past generation for a variety of reasons two out of three have withered away drastically and the traditional school gates meeting point is now a drop off zone. It's not good.

Don't forget that the Govt appears to be in cahoots with them. They tax alcohol like hell yet allow the supermarkets to use it as a loss leader. :angry:

I don't think that "The Govt" has any say in the marketing & pricing policy of any supermarket. The taxing policy is, of course, a whole different area.

Tesco & Asda and all the rest of the supermarkets would be pleased as Punch if every pub in the country closed down and we all bought our alchoholic beverages from them. They don't care that a social more (going to the pub) disappears.

As long as they keep their profits up and can pay out a dividend to the shareholders. That's all that matters to them.

Hey ho!

Archived