BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pubs

Haven't read this thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before. Yesterday we ended up at the Royal Arms, Tockholes. A proper pub, good beer, roaring fires and unexpectedly good food.I hardly ever go into pubs but this one may well see us again on a Sunday lunchtime.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't read this thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before. Yesterday we ended up at the Royal Arms, Tockholes. A proper pub, good beer, roaring fires and unexpectedly good food.I hardly ever go into pubs but this one may well see us again on a Sunday lunchtime.

Good to hear - and noted.

Conversely, we rocked up at the Tockholes Black Bull (I think - the one on the road from Darwen to Feniscowles) for a bite to eat before the game on Saturday (already plan B - we were headed for the Clog and Billy but got held up).

There was a lad at the bar who had ordered two sandwiches at 1250 ... he finally got them at 1350. By which time they were refusing to even take any food orders. It wasn't busy - just hopeless. We only wanted 3 sausage butties and a soup of the day!

Won't be going back ... :!:

• 3 months later...

Popped into the Royal Arms tonight for an early evening pint - very nice it was too. Sat outside, with Darwen Hill stretching up to the tower on one side, and the evening sun lighting up the Irish Sea in the distance on the other. Perfect. We'd have been just as happy inside though - what a great little pub.

• 4 weeks later...

Word on the grapevine is Hughie is to come back in to the Whitebull on Livesey Branch Rd.

He`d retired but is said to be coming back in.

The last people in the whitebull had made a right tosh of the place......full of drugged up kids & chavs.

Jerry Bell is now back in the Ewood Arms & his last pub (the Moorgate) has new management in.....a guy called Andy Joss (sp?) & his missus. He`s a decent bloke by all accounts.

The Brown Cow is still the Brown Cow........nothing ever changes in there.

Good news about Hughie coming back Cletus-it went very very bad after he left. LBR needs more good pubs really. Not had a drink there for a couple of years -ish, more of a Navigation gu these days. (First post in a long time Cletus?)

(the Moorgate) has new management in.....a guy called Andy Joss (sp?) & his missus. He`s a decent bloke by all accounts.

I know him - he used to be in the car trade . Decent enough bloke .

Must like a challenge to be moving into the pub business in these desperate times . Good luck is all I can say .

• 4 weeks later...
I know him - he used to be in the car trade . Decent enough bloke .

Must like a challenge to be moving into the pub business in these desperate times . Good luck is all I can say .

He`s still in the car trade (Peugeot Blackburn) & he`s been in the pub game for a few years too. I think he ran one of the pubs on Redlam for a while.

....& yes, sadly he`s a Bolton fan :(

I can also remember seeing him in a Spurs shirt too, if my memory serves me right.

Any reason you care to share ? You are one of the better posters IMO!

Just thought it was getting a bit tiresome on here.

All the personal feuds seemed to have taken over the majority of the threads....to the point of boredom.

I just moved on to other more interesting things.

I still visit & read some of the threads, but don`t feel the need to contribute as much these days.

Thanks for the kind comment tho ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've hated Thwaites mild for decades. The best mild in my formative years was a product from Whitbreads that went under the name 'Chesters Mild'. My local serves Black Cat which also seems to be popular.

Personally I'd rather suck worms than drink mild beer.

I've been looking without success for a pub serving Thwaites Mild- any recommendations?

Navigation in Mill Hill do and last time I was in (before the Larissa game IIRC), so did the White Bull on Livesey Branch Road

I've hated Thwaites mild for decades. The best mild in my formative years was a product from Whitbreads that went under the name 'Chesters Mild'. My local serves Black Cat which also seems to be popular.

Personally I'd rather suck worms than drink mild beer.

You're in good company- typed whilst watching a hen blackbird in the garden.

Yet another thing we will have to agree to disagree on.

If you go in the Navigation on the canal, go through the right door into the room with the big telly in, and on the right hand side of the bar there is a wonderful example of a fully cantilevered calendar person.

The best mild in my formative years was a product from Whitbreads that went under the name 'Chesters Mild'. My local serves Black Cat which also seems to be popular.

Chester's is long gone. Aye, Whitbread's took them over and for quite a while did their own mild as well as Chester's, then stopped brewing Chester's (20 years since?) then stopped brewing. Anyway that's enough of tonight's history lesson.

Postal Order (the Wetherspoon's in the middle of Blackburn) often has Black Cat on. Decent pint. They'll usually have a mild or two on amongst their many ales, haven't had Thwaites in there for many a moon though.

The first few drinks I had in life were lager (Dirty Duck in Bburn). Progressed to mild fairly quickly as my father in law to be drank it. Loved the stuff. Gradually, over the years it became harder to find, especially if you were away from the north west. Started to drink bitter, didn't like it at all at first, but soon got the taste. Now I always drink Thwaites Smooth. Pure nectar! If I'm just out for a couple then it's hard to beat Guinness.

On the subject of Guinness, went to watch Rovers at Southampton a couple of seasons after we won the title. Coach dropped us off at 13.45, straight in the pub on the corner behind the away end at The Dell. Managed 7 pints of the black stuff by 14.55, can't remember 'owt about the game, just sat and swayed for the full 90 minutes. We got beaten 2-0. Do remember the barman saying that when Rovers played there, there is very little trouble but we drink them dry. Out of all the clubs' supporters in the PL he said we out drank them all. :lol:

The first few drinks I had in life were lager (Dirty Duck in Bburn). Progressed to mild fairly quickly as my father in law to be drank it. Loved the stuff. Gradually, over the years it became harder to find, especially if you were away from the north west. Started to drink bitter, didn't like it at all at first, but soon got the taste. Now I always drink Thwaites Smooth. Pure nectar! If I'm just out for a couple then it's hard to beat Guinness.

On the subject of Guinness, went to watch Rovers at Southampton a couple of seasons after we won the title. Coach dropped us off at 13.45, straight in the pub on the corner behind the away end at The Dell. Managed 7 pints of the black stuff by 14.55, can't remember 'owt about the game, just sat and swayed for the full 90 minutes. We got beaten 2-0. Do remember the barman saying that when Rovers played there, there is very little trouble but we drink them dry. Out of all the clubs' supporters in the PL he said we out drank them all. :lol:

That matches with UEFA's description of Rovers supporters abroad: amiable but we like a drink!

Round here Banks's mild is ok but mild is very hard to find outside real ale pubs.

Archived