BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pubs

Theres plenty of lighter versions of Stout/Guiness I quite like you get in Irish pubs ... Cant name them though maybe .Caffreys or Beamish?..I Remember Guiness XXX ..That was a tough drink..Almost solid in texture..

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of pubs and real ale, back in November, visiting the Good Food Show at the NEC, we sidled into Birmingham city centre one day and discovered The Wellington, 37 Bennetts Hill.

There were 15 (that's right; fifteen) real ales on sale.

The ladies were disappointed because they didn't do food but the licensee said we could bring in our own food. So they popped next door to Philpott's bakery bringing back very tasty sandwiches for us and two other blokes who had overheard.

The pub even had plates and cutlery available for the use of those bringing food in.

As we were leaving a chap came in with a plated-up dinner. He worked at the pub up the road that did food but often brought his lunch from there to here.

Now that's what I call innovation. We hope to revisit.

On the subject of pubs and real ale, back in November, visiting the Good Food Show at the NEC, we sidled into Birmingham city centre one day and discovered The Wellington, 37 Bennetts Hill.

There were 15 (that's right; fifteen) real ales on sale.

The ladies were disappointed because they didn't do food but the licensee said we could bring in our own food. So they popped next door to Philpott's bakery bringing back very tasty sandwiches for us and two other blokes who had overheard.

The pub even had plates and cutlery available for the use of those bringing food in.

As we were leaving a chap came in with a plated-up dinner. He worked at the pub up the road that did food but often brought his lunch from there to here.

Now that's what I call innovation. We hope to revisit.

Only my opinion but a pub should only do 2/3 real cask ales maximum at a time. Real ale wants drinking as soon as it is settled imo. 15 real ales will simply ensure that some go sour.

Depends how quick you can shift them. The Postal Order usually has at least eight on and they shift them very quickly. I try my best to help them.

Liverpool's main real ale pub, the Ship & Mitre, always has at least 18 real ales on and the landlord told me he would have more, but for space restrictions in his cellar.

The guy who manages the Brown Cow (Damien) on Livesey is leaving tonight. He`s moving on to other things & says he`s sad to go but needs to do something else.

The pub isn`t changing hands, his step-mum Carol (from the Beehive) is taking over the helm.

The tennancy was up for sale a year or two back, but many thought they were asking too much. Can`t see them keeping the pub much longer IMO

The guy who manages the Brown Cow (Damien) on Livesey is leaving tonight. He`s moving on to other things & says he`s sad to go but needs to do something else.

The pub isn`t changing hands, his step-mum Carol (from the Beehive) is taking over the helm.

The tennancy was up for sale a year or two back, but many thought they were asking too much. Can`t see them keeping the pub much longer IMO

A family of mancs IIRC ... try not to give them my money if I can avoid it. Not the best of places either on non-match days :blink:

On the subject of Blackburn pubs see the Ewood Arms has gone up for sale AGAIN.

Heard Jerry did a 'groundhog day' & did a runner with the takings again. :rolleyes:

The place was a shambles before the West Brom game. Took me 17 mins to get served ... and apparently not long after we left someone complained about the service at one end of the bar ... and in response the bar manager dished out a load of abuse and effectively shut that bit of the bar by refusing to serve anyone who was stood there!

Well said John and bang on the money. Now the Blackamoor - there's a pub...

Wanted to call in yesterday but it's got fencing around it and the sign has gone off the wall. Is it finished for good anyone know??

If you mean the Blackamoor I believe it is just being refurbed at the moment.

Blackamoor looks shut again - is it terminal this time?

Only my opinion but a pub should only do 2/3 real cask ales maximum at a time. Real ale wants drinking as soon as it is settled imo. 15 real ales will simply ensure that some go sour.

Speaking generally you're right but not in this case. The Welly shifts that much ale (they average something like 10 barrels a day) that it never sticks around for long.

If my memory serves me right, the bar didn't seem to have much else to offer other than a load of hand pumps, each with a different real ale badge.

Signs outside on the pavement boasted "Real ale pub of the year 2004,2005,2007" or something similar. Whether that was in Brum or UK I don't know.

Anyway, if you are ever in Brum City and you love real ale this is a "must" pub to try.

Price quoted for the pub is £270,000. Are they having a laugh

£270,000!!!!! :huh: Jeez!!! last time it was on the market, they wanted £180,000 for it. That`s less than a year ago.

.... just like i said,

the people who run the Brown Cow are pulling out. The place may close within a fortnight.

There`s 2 interested parties i`ve heard of. One of them is a board member on here ;)

Thats a lot! Are you sure?

I think so. They keep a running total of different beers sold. I'm sure I've seen it in the 3000s one December. Certainly there's ales coming on bloody regularly (and the gaffer's probably his own best customer).

Is Blackburn still as bad for a decent pint? I'm thinking of using the train for a few home games next season.

I saw the above mentioned gentleman outside the Ewood Arms today, so not to sure if the above could be true ..... but then again who knows!

Told he ran off abroad with a 19 year old maiden but now he is back.

Archived