BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] This Will Stop Jordans Plan

AndyR

The 39th game.  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Scudamore's proposal, as it stands?The vote is for Scudamore's proposal that from 2010 an extra prem game will be played at an overseas venue. The idea is that the game will take place in January and the top 5 clubs from the previous season, will be seeded.

• Definately against any Prem games played outside England, ever, no matter how much money is on offer.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the money is too much to refuse.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the game overseas was within the 38 games.
    • Possibly in favour of a 39th game overseas, but only if the top 5 aren't seeded.
    • Definately in favour of the present proposal. The game has to move forward and that's one way of progressing.
    • I'll go with Grooby. He's god.

So we get £5 million + from one of these games, in terms of a match fee, gate reciepts, merchandise sales etc. Meanwhile a Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool get the £5 million match fee plus being worldwide brands a huge amount of money from merchandising. I can guarantee you, these clubs will get miles more money from this proposal than the rest of the clubs.

And if the clubs become richer, the cost of players will rise as they have more cash to splash. We saw that with the tv money increase it added a sizeable increase in transfer fees e.g players that were worth £2 million, became £6 million.

It will increase the gap between the top clubs and the rest of the clubs as they just cannot compete from a financial standpoint.

exactly. all these people saying we'll get 5 million extra, SO WILL EVERYONE ELSE. and then some for the bigger clubs. can't people understand this?

and where will this extra money go? back to the fans? into grass roots football?! don't make me laugh. even if we do drop season tickets by a bit we can't really drop them by much as we'll need to keep up with our rivals, and while the latest season ticket drop was refreshing, it didnt increase revenue from ticket sales and if anything it decreased it if i remember rightly. all this extra money will pretty much go straight into the fat bloated pockets of the footballers, making them more materialistic, more wag and celebrity obsessed and thus exacerbating the vicious cycle that is our premier league today.

all the other clubs will have extra money, they'll be offering higher wages and so will we in order to keep up, and we'll still have at least as big, if not a bigger hole in our finances. clubs like us who dont have much of a global appeal stand to be the main losers from this, not the winners.

as people have already said it will skew promotion and relegation issues etc, there's absolutely no need for it except for money. when will this end, seriously.

i'm only 22 but i feel like an old man when i look at the premier league these days. even 10-12 years ago things were so different.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So that makes it right then Rev?

What about in 3 years when maybe we aren't?

Strange, you certainly seem to be changing your tune on the all ethos of Football or have you done an Emerton and redesigned yourself as MKII? :P

If we get relegated before this proposal comes in, then we'd find it extremely difficult to ever get back in the top flight, but I think that would be the case anyway with or without this proposal.

I just think it's manna from heaven for us, the Trustees withdraw their 3m p.a. financial support, if we can survive that long, all of a sudden we get the chance to make 5m p.a. just for playing one game!

And just think of all the extra revenue we could cream in worldwide by selling our extensive range of Rovers related memorabilia from the club shop.

Oh wait............ :unsure:

Yes the big clubs will get bigger because of their popularity, but that is happening anyway because they all do pre-season tours anyway! Only difference is that the rest of the prem dont do it!

IF we did then at least we could narrow some of the gap - at the moment we get £0 they get millions, at least we will get £5m + in the future! Imagine if we got United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea in Bangkok and beat them - would that not enhance our reputation, seeing the media darlings getting beat by us?!

How much do clubs get relegated by 1 or 2 points or goal difference? Every game makes a difference and by taking that opportunity away from the supporter (return ticket to China?) to see every twist and turn it’s unfair.

Everyone plays everyone else home and away = fair & level playing field. So now four teams have to play Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool 3 times, the season will end up reflecting how (un)lucky you were in a one sided draw! That’s unfair and down right unethical.

It’s about time the Premier league boat was rocked, overwhelmingly fans think this is a joke - why are the clubs so cowardly in defending the interests of fans over coportae greed of Football PLC? Will we really end up relegated for not towing the party line? The silence from clubs like ours over the Tevez issue, renegotiated transfers and this prostitution of the game is as deafening as it is alarming.

Its time Rovers differentiated themselves and openly defended the game for the fans - Jack Walker would have done.

WE BELIVE.....prove it!

exactly. all these people saying we'll get 5 million extra, SO WILL EVERYONE ELSE. and then some for the bigger clubs. can't people understand this?

If everyone gets five million, then comparatively speaking we're not as badly off as compared to the other clubs as we were before. If say everyone got twenty million it would be even less the case, why can't everyone grasp that?

If the bigger clubs use this opportunity to make more out of merchandising then so be it, but really there's nothing stopping them doing that anyway with or without this extra game.

Yes the big clubs will get bigger because of their popularity, but that is happening anyway because they all do pre-season tours anyway! Only difference is that the rest of the prem dont do it!

IF we did then at least we could narrow some of the gap - at the moment we get £0 they get millions, at least we will get £5m + in the future! Imagine if we got United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea in Bangkok and beat them - would that not enhance our reputation, seeing the media darlings getting beat by us?!

yes but this is going to make it even worse. we get £5 million, the clubs who we're competing against (everton, villa, man city) etc get £5 million too. they clearly have more overseas appeal and more potential for overseas appeal for us too so chances are they'll beat us on that front. if our competitors get the same amount of money as us for this, then it's worth absolutely nothing. zilch.

as i've said, this money is without doubt going to go straight into the player's pockets as every club will offer bigger wages to players to entice them to come or make them stay just because they can, so we're back to square one. only as ive said, the likes of city, villa etc will get more foreign appeal - especially with their foreign owners.

and on the small chance we beat man utd in bangkok, so what? you think all these thai man u fans will instantly become rovers fans? they'll still be above us in the league and they'll still beat us next time we play. it's not worth it just for the odd thai fan buying a £2 sweatshop made fake rovers shirt from the street vendors in bangkok is it?

look at the bigger picture, it's not pretty at all.

I just think it's manna from heaven for us, the Trustees withdraw their 3m p.a. financial support, if we can survive that long, all of a sudden we get the chance to make 5m p.a. just for playing one game!

If everyone gets the same what changes really? Nothing its all relative.

But everyone wont get the same, gate money, merchandising will be greater for the bigger clubs. The rich get richer the divide gets wider. It's the stupidest idea yet.

This is good for Rovers - I can't believe the gullibility of some of you.

If everyone gets five million, then comparatively speaking we're not as badly off as compared to the other clubs as we were before. If say everyone got twenty million it would be even less the case, why can't everyone grasp that?

If the bigger clubs use this opportunity to make more out of merchandising then so be it, but really there's nothing stopping them doing that anyway with or without this extra game.

but this money will just go back into paying players' wages and transfer fees. everyone will offer more in terms of wages and we'll still be left behind, the numbers will just all increase. our wage bill will go up and we'll be in the same position as before.

and as i've said, its not just the big four. everton, city, vila, newcastle, spurs are all much, much more likely to build up significant fanbases abroad than we are.

Basic Example:

Man United - £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Arsenal- £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Chelsea- £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Liverpool - £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Rest of the clubs:

£5 million each

Can you not see a major problem there!?!? both in the short and long term.

This season i think the gap has shortened between some of the clubs at the top and the ones below. The big sides are dropping points and if you take the lucrative 4th place its pretty wide open and could go to the wire. Allowing the top clubs to gain more money will without doubt increase this gap.

Strange, you certainly seem to be changing your tune on the all ethos of Football or have you done an Emerton and redesigned yourself as MKII? :P

Interesting Capt, what makes you say that?

I don't think I've changed my stance on this particular issue, I've never been that bothered by not playing all games at 3p.m. on a Saturday etc. I couldn't really care less when we play.

Specifically as regards my earlier post, in a utopian world we'd all like to be playing the Dingles, Nob End and Blackpool in the Premiership, in the real world it would be better for us if they all went out of business. I've held the view we need to more or less wipe out all our local rivals ever since Jack took over. Unfortunately it's survival of the fittest out there.

What else have I changed my views on? :unsure:

Basic Example:

Man United - £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Arsenal- £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Chelsea- £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Liverpool - £20 million (£5 million for participating in the game rest of the money from merchandise)

Rest of the clubs:

£5 million each

This season i think the gap has shortened between some of the clubs at the top and the ones below. The big sides are dropping points and if you take the lucrative 4th place its pretty wide open and could go to the wire. Allowing the top clubs to gain more money will without doubt increase this gap.

well not sure if they'll get 15 million worth of merchandise but also to add to that point, everton, city, villa, newcastle, spurs, probably even the likes of portsmouth will get more from merchandising than we will too.

well not sure if they'll get 15 million worth of merchandise but also to add to that point, everton, city, villa, newcastle, spurs, probably even the likes of portsmouth will get more from merchandising than we will too.

I know, it was just a basic example trying to highlight there will be a big difference in the amount of money some clubs will get from such a proposal ;)

Basic Example:

Rest of the clubs:

£5 million each

No different to the Champions League set up at present really :unsure:

Current example!

Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal - All must earn minimum of £10-20million a season anyway now!

Rovers, Bolton, Wigan - Earn £0

In future they might earn even more, but at least WE are getting something extra! If it stayed as it does now, then the others would progress, but we would never make a penny from it!! 10% is better than 0!

Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and probably others already have found a market over there and will continue to - its a case of if we dont get involved then we miss the bus and get left behind.

Basic Example:

Rest of the clubs:

£5 million each

Current example!

Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal - All must earn minimum of £10-20million a season anyway now!

Rovers, Bolton, Wigan - Earn £0

In future they might earn even more, but at least WE are getting something extra! If it stayed as it does now, then the others would progress, but we would never make a penny from it!! 10% is better than 0!

Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and probably others already have found a market over there and will continue to - its a case of if we dont get involved then we miss the bus and get left behind.

So we get £5 million from this, meanwhile champions league clubs get the £20 million from that competition and a further £10 million plus from this extra game. :rolleyes:

Yeah we can really be competitive...

The big teams will get that income regardless of if the rest agree anyway because they are already exploring that market - so why worry about something you cant stop! Others are alrady half way there!

Therefore its a simple question.

Would you rather have £0 or £5 million?

The big teams will get that income regardless of if the rest agree anyway because they are already exploring that market - so why worry about something you cant stop! Others are alrady half way there!

Therefore its a simple question.

Would you rather have £0 or £5 million?

it's nowhere near that simple.

i'll refer you to my previous post..

yes but this is going to make it even worse. we get £5 million, the clubs who we're competing against (everton, villa, man city) etc get £5 million too. they clearly have more overseas appeal and more potential for overseas appeal for us too so chances are they'll beat us on that front. if our competitors get the same amount of money as us for this, then it's worth absolutely nothing. zilch.

as i've said, this money is without doubt going to go straight into the player's pockets as every club will offer bigger wages to players to entice them to come or make them stay just because they can, so we're back to square one. only as ive said, the likes of city, villa etc will get more foreign appeal - especially with their foreign owners.

this extra £5m for everyone will just increase our wage bill and put us in the same position as now, opening up the gap, skewing the league table and selling the soul of our national game.

so i'd rather take £0. end of story.

Archived