BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] This Will Stop Jordans Plan

AndyR

The 39th game.  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Scudamore's proposal, as it stands?The vote is for Scudamore's proposal that from 2010 an extra prem game will be played at an overseas venue. The idea is that the game will take place in January and the top 5 clubs from the previous season, will be seeded.

• Definately against any Prem games played outside England, ever, no matter how much money is on offer.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the money is too much to refuse.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the game overseas was within the 38 games.
    • Possibly in favour of a 39th game overseas, but only if the top 5 aren't seeded.
    • Definately in favour of the present proposal. The game has to move forward and that's one way of progressing.
    • I'll go with Grooby. He's god.

BAD, REALLY BAD!!! GONE CRAZY, i can see my interest, passion for rovers becoming equivilent to my interest in international football the way things are going! And i personally find international football pointless, dull and unwatchable!!!! CAN SOME BILLIONAIRE PLEASE FORM A BREAKAWAY LEAGUE, THAT DOES'NT HAVE SILLY WAGES BANKRUPTING CLUBS, NO POXY EUROPEAN QUALIFYING ASPECTS, AND DEFINITELY NO FORIEGN GAMES, AND NO BIG 4 AND NO SPUDS!!! I WOULD LOVE THAT!!! :angry2:

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just another nail in the coffin of Football as a sport. Well actually it is already not a sport just a big money making scam whereby the Asosciations, Leagues, clubs and their owners all get their snouts in the trough, and this latest proposal is just another way of increasing the income to the get rich quick merchants at the expense of the poor "fools" that actually do all the paying at the gate and/or on TV. They obviously see us as fools; there can be no other reasonable explanation. Unfortunately they are actually right in the main. They will milk every last drop of revenue that can possibly be exploited from the unthinking masses, and believe me that will be plenty.

Then when even the most stupid and avid followers of trends and fashions eventually realises what an idiot he has been the cash cow will die, and the multi millionaires that our beloved game has created will clear off to find something or somebody else to exploit in another way. One day you will wake up and realise I am right; until then keep on paying up at their command. I will keep on supporting Rovers from afar and East Fife at the gate.

This is just another nail in the coffin of Football as a sport. Well actually it is already not a sport just a big money making scam whereby the Asosciations, Leagues, clubs and their owners all get their snouts in the trough, and this latest proposal is just another way of increasing the income to the get rich quick merchants at the expense of the poor "fools" that actually do all the paying at the gate and/or on TV. They obviously see us as fools; there can be no other reasonable explanation. Unfortunately they are actually right in the main. They will milk every last drop of revenue that can possibly be exploited from the unthinking masses, and believe me that will be plenty.

Then when even the most stupid and avid followers of trends and fashions eventually realises what an idiot he has been the cash cow will die, and the multi millionaires that our beloved game has created will clear off to find something or somebody else to exploit in another way. One day you will wake up and realise I am right; until then keep on paying up at their command. I will keep on supporting Rovers from afar and East Fife at the gate.

In which way do you support rovers from afar, Fife? You don't go, and you think the fans that do go are fools. I'm sure the club love supporters like that.

You could have commented on the proposals [pro's and cons, - and there are some pro's about it], rather than us fans who do actually "support" our club.

I also suspect that you would re-word that post, if you thought about it.

Spot on Den, get off that high horse of yours fife your having a nose bleed! :rolleyes:

Would some of you deny Rovers the chance to explore possible financial income from abroad,merchandise etc and the possibility of expanding our fanbase worldwide?

At a time when our manager is being given peanuts financial wise and expected to perform near miracles lets have some perspective and sense please.We are talking about 10(?) games being played abroad to a possible worldwide audience...a rare chance for a town club like ours to really push our proud name and tradition.

Would some of you rather we were playing Walsall on a wet Wednesday......get real folks we are in the BIG LEAGUE now!

In which way do you support rovers from afar, Fife? You don't go, and you think the fans that do go are fools. I'm sure the club love supporters like that.

You could have commented on the proposals [pro's and cons, - and there are some pro's about it], rather than us fans who do actually "support" our club.

I also suspect that you would re-word that post, if you thought about it.

Believe me Den I have thought about it , and it almost breaks my heart to do what I have done. Some years ago I realised the way things were going in the Premier Leagues of all countries, and I was directly affected by my support for both Rovers and Dunfermline. At the time I had a second home in Poulton near Blackpool which we used to visit and stay in almost every fortnight or so. This amongst other things enabled me to actually pay and support Rovers at Ewood for most matches throughout the whole season and this I did for over 3 years on my retirement in early 1999. I was also able to get back home to Fife and support Dunfermline as well which I had done since 1980. Then I started to suffer serious ill health and decided to sell the second home, so my visits to Ewood became more intermittent, and the last time I was able to actually attend at Ewood was December 2005 (Rovers v West Ham). I have always stayed loyal to the Rovers in spirit though and have been a supporter and a season ticket holder for more years than the majority of people on here can claim. Does any of the foregoing make me less of a supporter than you?

I also saw the way the wind was blowing regarding the way football fans were being exploited by the Premier Leagues, and so with the greatest reluctance and much soul searching I decided to stop paying on the gate at Dunfermline as well. This was not because of any loss of loyalty or feeling for my two supported clubs, but was a stance that I felt bound to make to satisfy my conscience. I have taken the stance that I will always support the idea of football as a genuine sport, but not as a get rich quick scheme for mney making and exploiting scoundrels. That is why I will still go and support my nearby local Scottish 2nd and 3 div clubs, and now that Dunfermline have been relegated and are in the 1st div I will go and support them again. The proviso for all this is: Health allowing!

EDIT To those of you that can't see it the way I do, I say: Each of us sees things in our own way. I believe that I was being quite deliberately exploited by the ideas and planning behind the introduction of Premier League Football. To those of you that disagree I simply say: It's your money and you do whatever you like with it. Personally I refuse to contribute to making these people rich at my expense. And before anyone says that's the way it has always been I say You are WRONG. It has most definitely NOT always been that way, and there are still a few of us around that can remember when it was not like that, and Football was a very cheap and affordable entertainment for far greater numbers than attend now. And it was superb entertainment at that as well.

Oh, and just one more thing: I wish you could all have heard the conversation I had with a friend who lives nearby and who is still a season ticket holder at DAFC. I ran into him in my local supermarket just yesterday morning, and we got talking about the Pars, and it was then that I said to him that I intended to go back to watching them again now that they are no longer in the SPL, and I said to him "and I hope they NEVER get back into the SPL"

It doesn't seem like such a crazy proposal to me. Most English clubs play friendlies abroad anyway, sometimes during the normal season. It would be better if there was something at stake.

Maybe teams could do something different on the overseas weekend, like have a pub quiz or play It's A Knockout.

Why dont they set up an Anglo-Asia / Anglo-American / Anglo-Australasia Cup (depending what country we're visiting) and just let Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea go.

That way we are all happy.

Absolutely! And beter still; keep them there for evermore, them and their Essex man supporters (or should that be Piltdown man?)

Terrible for football as we know it in this country and maybe a final victory for them (the money men) against us (the fans). Even worse for clubs like BRFC. People who talk in terms of global brands are certainly not interested in small town teams like us. This would signal the end of our chances of being a top flight team for good. Anyone who says "its gonna happen anyway...." ight as well get themselves down to Old Trafford as this is the nearest place to Blackburn where there'll ever be Premiership football again.

Just think, if they can push it this far they can do anything and excluding teams with low average crowds is conservative compared to this aberation.

Believe me Den I have thought about it , and it almost breaks my heart to do what I have done. Some years ago I realised the way things were going in the Premier Leagues of all countries, and I was directly affected by my support for both Rovers and Dunfermline. At the time I had a second home in Poulton near Blackpool which we used to visit and stay in almost every fortnight or so. This amongst other things enabled me to actually pay and support Rovers at Ewood for most matches throughout the whole season and this I did for over 3 years on my retirement in early 1999. I was also able to get back home to Fife and support Dunfermline as well which I had done since 1980. Then I started to suffer serious ill health and decided to sell the second home, so my visits to Ewood became more intermittent, and the last time I was able to actually attend at Ewood was December 2005 (Rovers v West Ham). I have always stayed loyal to the Rovers in spirit though and have been a supporter and a season ticket holder for more years than the majority of people on here can claim. Does any of the foregoing make me less of a supporter than you?

It means that you used to be a supporter Fife - and no doubt a very avid roverite, once upon a time.

I fully understand what you're saying, but take you up, when you tell us that you wouldn't go to watch rovers even if you had the opportunity, - tell us to stay away and also tell us that we're fools for doing that.

Apart from that, I've no doubt that you are a very nice man! :)

I cannot get over how ridiculous this is.

Perhaps a one off regular season fixture would have turned my stomach, but a "showpiece" game for the likes of Manchester United or whoever else wouldnt upset me on a personal level.

But the officials of my own clubs supporting a wholesale change to the league to add an extra match, WITH SEEDING TO BENEFIT THE RICHEST CLUBS ALREADY.

What an absolute joke, cheerio top flight football. Hello full time Unibond attendance. I also fully intend to contact both Rovers and the league with my views.

Very mixed feelings about this. I simply cannot see any way this extra game can or will be seen to be fair which at least the Premiership currently has the mathematical veneer of being.

There is no ideal time to hold the game nor any good formula for selecting opponents. A 39th game in Dublin would be one thing whilst a 39th game in Sao Paolo or Seoul quite another. Imagine Rovers being denied a UEFA spot by a jet lagged performance in Melbourne in the middle of the Australian summer? Will AESF get his wishes come true with a nice away trip to Riyadh? What happens if Abramovich buys a game to be played in his Russian Province facing Alaska? Or some African raids the Country's Treasury to stage a game.

With the news that ESPN are going to bid head on against Sky, who knows where the Premiership numbers are headed on the next deal even without becoming so internationally-marketing friendly.

Having said that, I expect we will be bidding for a game for Malta.

I suspect this overseas games idea is a cunning (and not very subtle) way of getting concessions from FA and UEFA. If they propose something like this they can maybe reach a compromise to get a couple of the bigges games and maybe the Charity Shield or something played overseas. In my view ANY game played overseas is unnaceptable and can't be allowed to happen. I think its up to all fans who feel strongly about this to contact BRFC and voice your opinions.

den and sg19 in my opinion you have been rather harsh in your replies to the above post by FR.

I have for some time become very dissillusioned by the premiership and their attitude towards fans, they have taken the game away from the working man. It has become a multi million poud business and is no longer a sport that can be afforded by the true lovers of the game. The powers that be and players have forgotten football as a sport and are more concerned in feather their own nests.

den and sg19 in my opinion you have been rather harsh in your replies to the above post by FR.

I have for some time become very dissillusioned by the premiership and their attitude towards fans, they have taken the game away from the working man. It has become a multi million poud business and is no longer a sport that can be afforded by the true lovers of the game. The powers that be and players have forgotten football as a sport and are more concerned in feather their own nests.

You wont find me disagreeing with that anywhere Alan.

Fife advocates rovers fans boycotting Ewood. He seems to think that will sort out football. Well it wont, will it? It will though, finish BRFC.

So what's harsh? B)

[and as I said, I'm sure Fife's a very nice chap]. :tu:

Archived