BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] This Will Stop Jordans Plan

AndyR

The 39th game.  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Scudamore's proposal, as it stands?The vote is for Scudamore's proposal that from 2010 an extra prem game will be played at an overseas venue. The idea is that the game will take place in January and the top 5 clubs from the previous season, will be seeded.

• Definately against any Prem games played outside England, ever, no matter how much money is on offer.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the money is too much to refuse.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the game overseas was within the 38 games.
    • Possibly in favour of a 39th game overseas, but only if the top 5 aren't seeded.
    • Definately in favour of the present proposal. The game has to move forward and that's one way of progressing.
    • I'll go with Grooby. He's god.

Who says managers want to? Steve Bruce doesn't, Gareth Southgate doesn't, to name 2. Keegan has to say anything to keep his job at the moment so he says good idea. Roy Keane gives it a qualified approval. From the others there isn't much comment. They won't go against their chairman at the moment. But I reckon behind closed doors there will be plenty being said.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how many Australians would watch Derby vs Birmingham then?

Yup, in a nutshell, that's why it will be seeded. Even the die-hards who'd rather headbutt a brick wall than criticise their team have begun to admit that certain ties against fellow mediocres are getting a little dull.

This will happen because every club will benefit from the money. Blackburn may not be a brand but we are part of the Premier LEague, which very much is, esp. with its collective TV deals. More publicity for the Prem will be a financial boon to Rovers.

However, I do firmly disagree with the principles behind this. More money is not the an answer to the problems of the Premiership. It's inequality. This footy imperialism will widen the gap because the biggest winners are the massive clubs who can finally have that tangible relationship with their global fanbase.

However, I ask, how can we argue against this? The Premier League is underpinned by capitalist ideology. This is simply the next logical steps in a whole march towards global branding. Nothing we can do people.

Good lord. I have read this messageboard with interest for years, and disagreed with many a view expressed on a range of topics, without ever feeling the need to log in to vent my spleen. However on this issue I did expect a degree of solidarity, but no it appears that the Premier League party line has been swallowed hook line and sinker by plenty of people.

Just think back...what made you fall in love with football in the first place and Rovers in particular? Money? A guaranteed place in a phoney franchised premiership? The prospect of selling souvenirs in Singapore? Or was it partly the dream of seeing our glorious club fighting on merit against the big city boys on a level playing field in ENGLAND'S top division?

I do not want this post to seem overly nostalgic as times have moved on, however this is a step too far and it angers and upsets me that my club appears to have jumped in bed with the 'bigboys' without even having the balls to come out and explain why to its fans (we really can't call ourselves the 'lifeblood of the club' anymore).

I have held season tickets since the age of seven. I have travelled to the vast majority of away games since the age of thirteen. I have lost a marriage and had to reflect that my inflexible devotion to 'the cause' may have been a factor. I have cried tears of joy and of sorrow. I have had some of the greatest times of my life following my team through Europe.

I do not make these statements to try and appear a better fan than any other person but to illustrate my anger when I hear Scudamore come out with comments such as "imagine the heart warming stories on TV of fans who have not missed a game for years making their way accross the globe to see their team"....NO, NO, NO! THIS IS EXACTLY THE FAN YOU ARE SCREWING WITH THIS FECKLESS HAIR BRAINED GREEDY SCHEME OF YOURS!!!

There is only one thing bigger than Blackburn Rovers in the world of football....and that is the game of football itself. Those of you saying that this is a good idea, and that "we are in the Premier League, so ner" please reflect..

- when we have been out of the top divison would you really have been quite so keen on such an idea?

- If in we go down by one point partially because we unluckily drew a third game with the seeded Man Utd in Beijing (be realistic teams of our stature will occasionally have such relegation battles, think long term not just in this golden Hughes age)

- Do you really, truly, deeply think that if they get away with this it is going to stop at one game a season? Are American owners of teams not going to want the occasional game for 'their team' in their own back yard?

This may be a rambling post and I'm not going as far as saying the end of the game is nigh, but I will say that my synicism is higher than ever. I would prefer to be a poor honest man than a rich criminal, and for the same reasons we all want our club to be in the right hands rather than sold to the any old shifty character, we should not be jumping for joy simply at the prospect of a one game, too good to be true pay day.

These people have toyed with our emotions and devotion for far too long, this my friends may be the good fight we just have to fight!

Spot on

However, I ask, how can we argue against this? The Premier League is underpinned by capitalist ideology. This is simply the next logical steps in a whole march towards global branding. Nothing we can do people.

Nothing we can do except find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon...................oh we have already had to do that. One game is unacceptable but probably tolerable, when it becomes more games, which it will, I'll just stop going because all we will be left with is Rovers v Boro. The big games will not happen any more.

Theres no way it will happen. Fifa will block it. I read soem good comments from Platini this morning and aparantly him and sep blatter both reacted to the proposals by laughing out loud.

Its the biggest load of rubbish ive ever had to read. The premier league doesn't care about the fans. Football is already half ruined because of the big 4....this would be the final nail in the coffin. God how we miss our great game.

I might be only 16 but i feel this idea is completley wrong and is a sign that the top dogs at the Fa like your Scudamores who don't give a crap about football or the roots of football. I personally dont even have enough money as it is to travell to every home and away games so i just go to every home game, well imagine if we play in ny or oz i will have to buy a flight, hotel, game tickets and food that would cost me 700 quid or more and its screwing the real die hard football fans over because not everyone or every loyal supporter will have enogh money to go abroad.

I dont give a crap about ohhhhh you can earn 5 million because thats crap because you will get your franchise fcs like your utds to go to saudi arabia and get there 5 mill because eveyone wants to watch Ronaldo,Rooney etc but who wants to watch Rovers in Turkey say. We will suffer because we wont get that 5 mill but you top clubs will but once again we roll over to it and wipe the big boys bums clean.

I love Rovers and ive been a supporter since i was lil kid but this is one step too far for me and im afraid to say it would mean losing die hard fans like myself if this happens because we are the premiership and not the MLS.

We struggle to get 22 thousand or more anyways so what makes the FA think we will take this amount abroad :~ ?

Scudamore ought to sort out our national team first and get young players projects up and running before he comes up with something like this farce again. Bet you Liverpool etc are happy because they know they will be in the money. Football is money nowadays and i sit in Ewood at times and think why do i watch players who dont give a crap on 30 grand while i sit there watching them with a half eaten half baked soggy pie. Football aint what it used to be.

O anyone notice Ferguson saying why go abroad and play extra games, what a hypocrite.

Scott Sellars` post on the last page sums it up brilliantly! :tu:

i HATE to say it, but a little part of me (no willy jokes thanks <_< ) agrees with what the fans of FC United of Manchester stand for. They saw the direction football with the Glaziers would go & how little their support was appreciated & decided to bail out & take their hard earned cash elsewhere.

Are there any arguments in favour other than just money?

Well, to look at this objectively:

More money for all the clubs through sponsorship, advertising and merchandise.

Therefore - more pulling power on world's best players

Therefore- theoretically, better standard league (or top teams)

Therefore - Champs League clubs can better compete in Europe and the rest are in a better position to avoid the drop

Therefore - the gap between the haves and have nots gets bigger.

So basically, it is to the long-term detriment of the competitiveness of the game but is a short-term financial boon.

All these gimmicks - bringing Celtic/Rangers into the Prem and now this, they're all going to happen in the end, imo. One day, we'll see them as nothing more outrageous than adverts on football shirts.

It's sad but is this what happens when you mix virtually pure free market economics with sport?

Therefore - Champs League clubs can better compete in Europe and the rest are in a better position to avoid the drop

So basically, it is to the long-term detriment of the competitiveness of the game but is a short-term financial boon.

All these gimmicks - bringing Celtic/Rangers into the Prem and now this, they're all going to happen in the end, imo. One day, we'll see them as nothing more outrageous than adverts on football shirts.

It's sad but is this what happens when you mix virtually pure free market economics with sport?

To me, it's the first step to forming a global league. A different tactic after G14 has floundered.

All very well, but eventually the game will become too big for the town of Blackburn.

Will we then see the Walkers take their 'Franchise', as it will become, to a major city somewhere else in the world?

What will we be left with then, nowt. Hopefully someone will re-form Blackburn Rovers and apply to join the Northern Premier League.

What a shocking idea.

Atleast it wont happen now, Platini speaks out.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal...rem/7234304.stm

For once i agree with him

"In England, you already have no English coach, no English players and maybe now you will have no clubs playing in England. It's a joke."

Well played,stupid idea. Shows that the FA are just money grabbing ######. Atleast pick some decent cities to go to , Beijing and Johannesburg, more like Prague and Amsterdam please.

"I think Everton and Reading should be given immense credit really. They are obviously playing poor football on purpose so that fans from other countries don't actually want us to export the Premier League."

SergeiTheToffee on 606

:lol:

Where was all this outrage when you all sold out the O2 arena for two games between the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks?

This sort of thing has been going on in American sports for 5+ years now and I'd say it hasn't killed the sports over here at all and it's not nearly as equitable over here as what they're proposing for the premiership. Here you'll have say only 2 baseball teams go play a series in Japan, or only 2 american football teams go play a game in London or Mexico. All the while taking away home games they'd otherwise have and heaping travel on those 2 teams compared to the rest.

As for my thoughts, selfishly I'd love to see a Rovers vs Liverpool game here in the future at the new Dallas Cowboys stadium if Hicks still owned Liverpool at that point. I'd be there first in line to buy a ticket in my Blackburn regalia. If Rovers were go to abroad anywhere, I think it'd be either America (because of Brad) or Johannesberg (due to Mokoena and McCarthy).

I "ballot" of some kind, of fans before the next game would be an excellent media friendly stunt. Surely the BRISA could organise something.

I just think of it as another away fixture- for both teams, and the majority of Rovers supporters don't go to them anyway- whining because of the cost. ("ooh Bolton are charging £25- that's outrageous"). So what you play one team three times? One year that'll be Derby, the next Manure. It'll even itself out eventually.

And it'll keep the teams in the Premiership out of sight of the Championship.

Well it's pretty obvious where all this extra money will end up. The clubs will foolishly try to outdo each other in the search for the best players and their wages will go up and up. Most clubs lose money now and most will lose money when this harebrained scheme comes in. So they'll try and get a second match abroad to make up for their losses. etc, etc. Wasn't it Alan Sugar who talked about money in football as the prune juice effect? The more you put in at one end the more comes of the other.

That's correct of course. We can also look forward to finishing somehwere between 6th and 14th every season as well. How very exciting it's all becoming. We'll get to play the same teams all the time! OK three will get relegated every year but they'll be back the year after because of parachute payments and the money from playing a 39th game in Beijing and a 40th in San Jose.

Exactly! And that is the reason why you should never mix free market economics with sport. One is 100% purely and simply aimed at making money, and the other is meant to be ....Well SPORT!! Nothing to do with money making per se, but obviously needs to be able to generate enough income from it's supporters to sustain the club and its environs, pay it's employees, and provide safe accomodation and access for fans and media. What else is necessary?

Where was all this outrage when you all sold out the O2 arena for two games between the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks?

This sort of thing has been going on in American sports for 5+ years now and I'd say it hasn't killed the sports over here at all and it's not nearly as equitable over here as what they're proposing for the premiership. Here you'll have say only 2 baseball teams go play a series in Japan, or only 2 american football teams go play a game in London or Mexico. All the while taking away home games they'd otherwise have and heaping travel on those 2 teams compared to the rest.

As for my thoughts, selfishly I'd love to see a Rovers vs Liverpool game here in the future at the new Dallas Cowboys stadium if Hicks still owned Liverpool at that point. I'd be there first in line to buy a ticket in my Blackburn regalia. If Rovers were go to abroad anywhere, I think it'd be either America (because of Brad) or Johannesberg (due to Mokoena and McCarthy).

Don't be ridiculous. 2 "regular season" games between the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks has about 1/50th the impact on who wins The Stanley Cup (& remember: nobody gets relegated to the AHL) as compared to the impact 3 points has on the final Premier League table. Same is true for baseball and the NBA. Now the NFL on the other hand is a different story, but though more comparable to this proposed nonsense than other American examples, it still does not possess, even in the worst scenarios, the potential to have as egregious an effect on the league's final results as this stupid 39th stuff would have on the PL. And if you want to see Rovers in a counting FA or UEFA match then get on a damn airplane. But in the meantime, drive to Orlando. :)

I just think of it as another away fixture- for both teams, and the majority of Rovers supporters don't go to them anyway- whining because of the cost. ("ooh Bolton are charging £25- that's outrageous"). So what you play one team three times? One year that'll be Derby, the next Manure. It'll even itself out eventually.

Totolly, ###### then should we get relegated and the mercenary players jump ship, because they want a free jolly to some far off city .

What I mean with this Rev is that from your postings your concerns always seemed to fall to the side of Football with Rovers being your medium for it - as you know we have agreed upon many an issues in the past with the same feelings

IMO, with all due respect, recently alot of your postings read to me that you are now 'on board' with all this 'money driven' aspect of the game and Rovers (Or any P/L clube for that matter) must do everything to be part of it

So correct me if I'm wrong ( most probably) it just doesn't seem the 'real' you at the moment if you don't mind me saying, and I am being sincere here.

Hmmm........... been mulling on your post for a while Capt. Over the last thirty seven years, I've been watching Rovers for about twenty three seasons out of the top flight and around fourteen years in it.

Got to say, I'd far rather watch us in the top flight than out of it, in fact I'd go as far to say that I'd have a hard time adjusting to lower league football if we ever got relegated.

Unfortunately it's a fact of life that money (quite a lot of it) is necessary to thrive or even survive in the Prem. It took twenty six years of blood sweat and toil, no little heartbreak along the way (Palace away?) and Jack's heart, soul and fortune to get us to the promised land. Now we're there, it seems a lot of people don't like it.

Like Lou and Andy off Little Britain it seems to me - "Want that one - Don't like it"

I think we should fight tooth and nail to preserve our status and preserve Jack's legacy - and that applies to particularly to the his Trustees. <_<

I don't think you 'get' Rovers supporters Jan if that's your view.

You might be able to afford to follow the blues 'round the globe. I. and most others, can't.

Football is essentially about the sense of place, this nonsense breaks that link. It stinks.

There is only one thing bigger than Blackburn Rovers in the world of football....and that is the game of football itself. Those of you saying that this is a good idea, and that "we are in the Premier League, so ner" please reflect..

Comments like that are very noble but totally unrealistic in my opinion, (Capt. I think you also hinted at this)

What are we meant to do, just relinquish our place in the Premier League and give it to someone else because although a particular proposal might benefit us, we feel it is unethical and possibly not in the interests of the game as a whole?

Do we think the club replacing us would give two hoots? Of course not.

Does anyone think for a minute the "big four" or six or eight for that matter would hesitate for a second if they could implement an idea which had cropped up which would benefit them but would disadvantage the other twelve clubs in the Premiership?. Of course not.

Luckily voting rules are in place to ensure a minority of clubs can not steam roller measures throough but you get my drift.

Archived