BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Support This Business?

If it's not clear already - no I am most definitely not alright with this.

It makes sense why Hughes would join City business-wise. I get that part.

But so far I have believed the lie that football is not all business. I believed that business and money were a necessary evil to keep it going. But that is simply not true, is it? The football club IS the business. The managers and players are not there for some make-belief loyalty or affection for the club. Those are ancient principles, fabrications that simply do not exist. They are employees in the exact same way McDonald's has employees. They are there to work, get payed, possibly move on to a higher position. Nothing more, nothing less.

So that really begs the question why do I, or anyone else, love and support Blackburn Rovers FC or any other club? I do not understand. Why not support the tooth-pick factory across the street? Exact same principles, just different product. For what possible reason should we care, unless you have family/friends there I guess, how the club does? I just do not understand.

I might sound upset and I am, but I wanted to make this a topic of its own because I really want to hear people's opinions. Usually when you ask "why do you support the club" you get answers like "I was born there, my dad took me to a game once etc"....but I still do not understand "why". Why should a person feel any loyalty towards this business? Why should we care about the success of the club? If it makes perfect sense for employees to seek better positions, then why does it not make sense that everyone should support Man United since they play the best football and are currently the most successful?

I have often thought about this, Mr E, in recent years.

If I think about it rationally, I agree, why should our emotions be tied to the achievements of a bunch of people who you don't know? Is it not like the supposed irrationality of teenage girls and their boyband obsessions?

The only explanations I can give for footy fans obsession with a football business is:

(i) the sense of identity it gives you.

(ii) the sense of community it provides.

(iii) the intrigue of a perpetual soap opera within a soap opera.

(iv) the increased self-worth it engenders, by association, when your team hit the headlines.

(v) the increased self-esteem it gives you to become knowledgeable about your club and football generally.

(vi) a focal point for your enjoyment for playing football

Looking at those reasons, two things strike me. They're nearly all emotive and not rational. Secondly, aside from point (vi) they justify a McFly obsession as much as a football club obsession. Which just goes to show, supporting a football club is a realm of emotion and not rationality and there is the danger that we do not apply our rational faculties to our involvement with this 'hobby'.

Should there come a time when you put aside all the emotional kicks football supporting gives you and recognise that it is a glorified business in which the fan always loses? I'll never lose my love of football generally because of this: WHY I LOVE FOOTBALL

But, I really wonder, at times, how my support for Rovers and interest in the modern game relates to the IDEAL I have provided a link for.

If I think about it rationally, I agree, why should our emotions be tied to the achievements of a bunch of people who you don't know? Is it not like the supposed irrationality of teenage girls and their boyband obsessions?

The only explanations I can give for footy fans obsession with a football business is:

(iv) the increased self-worth it engenders, by association, when your team hit the headlines.

(v) the increased self-esteem it gives you to become knowledgeable about your club and football generally.

Looking at those reasons, two things strike me. They're nearly all emotive and not rational. Secondly, aside from point (vi) they justify a McFly obsession as much as a football club obsession. Which just goes to show, supporting a football club is a realm of emotion and not rationality and there is the danger that we do not apply our rational faculties to our involvement with this 'hobby'.

Should there come a time when you put aside all the emotional kicks football supporting gives you and recognise that it is a glorified business in which the fan always loses? I'll never lose my love of football generally because of this: WHY I LOVE FOOTBALL

But, I really wonder, at times, how my support for Rovers and interest in the modern game relates to the IDEAL I have provided a link for.

Recommended reading - The Soccer Tribe by Desmond Morris.

Why should a person feel any loyalty towards this business? Why should we care about the success of the club? If it makes perfect sense for employees to seek better positions, then why does it not make sense that everyone should support Man United since they play the best football and are currently the most successful?

Because I am an everyman and I will have my day. Not every day because that wouldn't be an achievement. But one day, one day in 1995 I will stick two fingers up to the glory hunters and all the surrey reds who need to feel loved and know that in a small way I was involved in p1ssing on their parade.

I don't do it because its easy.. but like JFK because it is difficult.

It is possible to form an affinity with other clubs, I know since I was exiled at the age of 15, but the original points still stand. Its in my blood. Standing on the terraces as a teenager with my mates, playing the primary school finals on Ewood park, taking penalties at half time.

I guess as a small boy Rovers were the centre of the universe. Its undoubtably different now with so much sky coverage. To support another team is akin to being an immigrant or an orphan.

Yeah. But the thing is for my entire life I've been supporting Rovers based on ideals that have just evaporated and crumbled in a puff of smoke. People will say it's my own fault for deceiving myself, and I guess thats true. But I don't know anymore. I can't just stop caring about Rovers, but the foundations are no longer there. I'm very confused and maybe still don't want to accept it, but I guess the reality is what I believed to be "Rovers" is an ideal that does not exist.

It's been a while since I last posted here. How is everyone? ...oh wait. Probably not a good question seeing as Prozac sales have shot through the roof in the town of Blackburn. Why don't Prozac simply open up a stand next to Ewood Park (not just on a Saturday afternoon but throughout the entire summer when our best players move on, our manager gets pinched, etc)

I firmly believe this is the end for Blackburn Rovers FC. Our next manager will not have the know how or the va va voom factor and after years and years of punching above our weight, we are finally found out.

It's gotten to the stage when school kids in Blackburn should dread every summer knowing their team is going to lose a valuable player or member of staff.

What are the odds that Bentley will move to Liverpool this season? (am getting a sense of deja vu with Bellamy here)

What will Fat Sam do to our beloved team? Will we somehow sign the Inter coach? All these questions and for what purpose?

What is the point of it all? We are only ever going to get our hopes dashed supporting this club. Blackburn Rovers are in myopinion a well managed club. I got the sense the staff are very supportive of each other and you get the feeling of stability behind closed doors. And now Hughes wants to move on, not to Man Utd but to their citeh neighbours.

I am off to work in Brisbane on a 2 year contract in 5 weeks time - perhaps distance from the UK might help in alleviating the subdued feeling I get when I see the word Hughes in the newspaper.

but somehow I doubt it.

I am off to work in Brisbane on a 2 year contract in 5 weeks time - perhaps distance from the UK might help in alleviating the subdued feeling I get when I see the word Hughes in the newspaper.

but somehow I doubt it.

No it doesnt help, I went to Ozz for a year a while back and watched every Rovers game i could. I found my affinity for the club got even strong (if thats possible).

The general question for this thread though is really, "Why do you support a team". For glory, fine no reason to support Rovers ahead of Man Ure. For pride in carrying of a family, town and personal tradition then Rovers win by a mile (at least for me). Once you support a club you support them, if you simple change your team for success then you are never a supporter of any club, but just of success. I think anyone who has that frame of mind is missing the point of what that success means and the increased sense of pride you get for simply competing in the same league as clubs like Man U. There are plenty of reasons for changing your team, moving for instance. I live in Manchester and still support Rovers but if I had a kid and the kid wanted to support Man U as all his friends do and he lives in the town I would try and take him to games and might well end up support them, the exact same thing happened with me (and brothers) and my dad and his transition from Bradford to Rovers some 30 years ago. I see that as a fair reason to change your team and there are probably others like that. But simple for success, you dont get the point of competition if you think like that.

How do you explain your loyalty to the Rovers? Tradition, home but most of all a feeling of belonging and shared pleasure/pain.

I've followed Rovers for a lo-o-ong time and I can't say how many highs and lows I've had.

When the good times come they are great and the lows only serve to add to the pleasure of the highs.

Don't try and explain it, it just is.

How do you explain your loyalty to the Rovers? Tradition, home but most of all a feeling of belonging and shared pleasure/pain.

I've followed Rovers for a lo-o-ong time and I can't say how many highs and lows I've had.

When the good times come they are great and the lows only serve to add to the pleasure of the highs.

Don't try and explain it, it just is.

Robbie Coltrane gives a similar speech about gambling in Cracker.

Something great about following a team through the lowest of lows and seeing that all turn around. Funny in these situations, my best memories haven't been the plateaus, but the moment(s) where you knew things were turning around.

Archived