BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's News Ticker

CASTILLO - well, he must have looked murder in training...this is a big letdown as so much effort was made to get him in and clear up the third-party issues...it also shows the perils of signing someone off a DVD...fair enough, if the manager has decided on him in three days that shows he can make a decision...but where is the 'midfielder with legs' that is being looked for...Andrews? Bresciano?

VILLANUEVA - a little bit puzzled that Carlos said his farewells, the club announced the deal and yet he is not coming in until next week...almost a week late...I will be happier when he is in the building.

The clock is ticking now, there are two or maybe even three midfielders needed and no-one has signed.

I said before that these weeks will decide how the season goes and I think that will be right.

It can't be that surely...the new keeper might take an extra £1 million out of the budget.

Maybe the manager has seen another midfielder on video that he fancies more. ;)

All the fuss about Castillo, came from Castillo himself and his agents.

I've never heard a word from Ince or Jw about him. Maybe he thinks highly of himself.

No, let's get it right.

Rovers approached Castillo and his agents...asked them over...went through the third-party issues and the prices...fixed up the flights...

Now it appears Castillo's agent has told the player he had a three-year deal waiting and this was no trial...where did that information come from?

So there have been a few stories told on this one.

The fact is that an experienced Ecuador international, with more caps than David Bentley among others, has been brought in under false pretences...and not measured up in THREE DAYS?

One way or another a lot of time has been wasted here...and not just by the South American guy.

Nicko, is it true that Bentley and Robinson have the same agent?

Yes.

Nicko or anyone else, do you have any Idea why Vogel only has been given 45 minutes in the preseason matches so far? Is he out of favour? Won't he be used next season?

Injury.

ON BRESCIANO...I am always wary of players described as 'versatile' - a pal of mine watched him for another Premier League side last season and said he wasn't good enough.

ON WARNOCK...does the player want to go?

ON PENNANT...Never ever been worth £6 million. Won't happen at that price.

ON CASTILLO...dying to see his side of the story in the Ecuadorian papers...to describe him as having a 'bad attitude' is ludicrous.

The Warnock thing is worrying. Have you heard of any further bids from Newcastle or anyone else?

No, but I am starting to expect one...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're starting to expect one from Newcastle or someone else?

My Newcastle man reckons they have been speaking non-stop for a few days about the Warnock deal. There is also interest in Shorey, but Warnock is first choice.

Keegan has had a nightmare signing defenders so far and they believe this one 'can be done.'

Now, someone must be encouraging them. It's that simple.

There is always the possibility that they know the guy is uprooting his life to move thousands of miles away and they are letting him get his affairs in order....

It sounds like a work permit issue. But I don't see that as a snag.

However the info from another American poster yesterday was that a rival club thought they could sneak in.

I will feel a lot better when the boy actually turns up.

Nicko, are you saying that the signing of Castillo has been cancelled or that so far he is not impressing Ince in training and that it looks doubtful?

Rovers have called it off 'at this time' - whatever that means. He obviously was not the player the manager thought he was. I wonder if they will try and negotiate a cheap deal if they don't get anyone else on the list?

are you trying to hint at something Mr Nixon that we might go for a cheap deal andrews rather go for the others on the list, Who else is on that list anyway nicko, anyone worthwile

Well Castillo was on it and at the top, Andrews was on it and then conveniently pushed down a bit, so frankly I don't know...

I do know there is a big summit of the scouts in Portugal today to get some names together.

So perhaps there isn't an orderly list at the moment...

Nicko, do you know if David Tuttle, the chief scout at MK Dons under Ince, has been brought into the Ewood Park set-up? I've heard that someone has been appointed to scout the opposition and wondered if this was the role that Tuttle had got?

I think that is the case - the guy Barry Whitbread seems to be heading up the scouting of players and some guy cvalled Martin Glover [?] is looking at younger players.

Maybe Tuttle is a 'match assessor' but it's hard to be sure with all of the upheaval.

Can't agree Alan....In the closing games of last season I thought he looked sharp and was going past players with ease....I'd like to see him at Rovers.

nicko, any news on rovers bid for robinson

and possible names being mentioned IF robinson does not come off

Pennant at £3 million - maybe. Pennant at £6 million - not happening.

This only goes to show that there are not many good replacements for Bentley around...

I understand it's cash down plus installments to around £3.5 million.

Spurs want more.

But - as they say - the gap is closing. :lol:

Yeah, but people talking £18 million for Bentley.....You telling me that Pennant is a sixth of the player Bentley is...? :lol::lol:

That's about right.

Nicko, if a deal isn't done by Monday for Robinson can you see us walking away from that option?

I don't know of a time-scale, but it would be sensible to have one.

It's comical really the extent to which everyone on here thinks our players are worth a fortune, and everyone else's players are worth peanuts.

I'm not a huge fan of Pennant, but to suggest Bentley is worth six times what he is, is quite ludicrous.

If we could get an inflated 18m for Bentley, I don't think 6m for Lennon or Pennant would represent the worst value ever.

Of course if we could get either of them for a giveaway 3m, so much the better, but it's not very realistic.

I am not biased towards Rovers, but Bentley is justifiably worth the fee - or close to it - as he is a rising star who plays every week for his club and is a current England player.

Pennant is a hit-and-miss winger who can't get in his club side except when there is an injury crisis, he left his last club when they were relegated and bareky got a kick for his first club. He may/may not ever be a Premier League player. He is a Liverpool reserve and they are worth about £3 million.

Is there a chance Villa could get fed up with this whole process and pull their interest in Brad, if it drags on for a while?

Martin O'Neill is a cuatious type. I think he will give it a week or two before he gets nervous.

Where does he get a better keeper for the money?

QUOTE (Paulsman @ Jul 24 2008, 12:44 )

In terms of other clubs Nicko. Any truth in the following:

- Newcastle are in for Reyes and Baptista...REYES IS NOT THE PLAYER HE WAS - SO HE WOULD BE IDEAL FOR NEWCASTLE. KEEGAN WANTS A LEFT BACK, CENTRE HALF AND A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD SITTER. MAYBE AN EXTRA ATTACKER IF HE CAN.

- Spurs are closing in on Arshavin...HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN YESTERDAY, BUT IT'S SPURS SO THE TIME DRAGS BY.

- Everton are in for Moutinho...WANTED HIM BEFORE, THE AGENT DOING THE DEAL HAS A SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THE EVERTON MONEY MEN...SO THAT IS POSSIBLE. BUT VERY EXPENSIVE.

Hmmmm..................... fair shout but if Pennant was a Rovers player and playing every week, and was on the fringes of England selection, and Bentley was at Liverpool and couldn't hold down a regular slot and was being shuffled in and out of the side, would Pennant suddenly be worth 17m and Bentley 3m?

But he's not...

And if Pennant was in the Liverpool team and England squad he would be valued at about £12-15 million.

ZABALETA - is a right back but Rovers have not taken an interest since Sparky left.

CRETIEN - may want a move to England, but Rovers have not decided on a right back yet.

GARDNER - no great money in that for Spurs, a loan deal with a view...that will collapse in disappointment.

ROBINSON - there may be progress.

Andrews will not be coming to Rovers, that was a red herring.

Do you want to break that news to Andrews...because he still thinks he is.

Now why would that be?

If Ince was serious he would be at Rovers by now...I can't see it..

I said all along that the game plan was to sign some good players and then sneak him in...

Still waiting on the 'good players' part, but the rest of it is still in hand.

Nicko, do you reckon we could interest SWP? Unlikely i know, but would do you reckon would happen if we made a offer?

SWP will probably sign for Portsmouth very shortly - the Sulley Muntari sale will give him them money to make that happen.

Big price, big wages.

QUOTE (Anti-Dingle-Brigade @ Jul 24 2008, 19:20 )

Is Castillo no longer "on", then? NOT LOOKING TOO LIKELY...

Robinson in for Brad. LOOKING PRETTY LIKELY...

Bentleys replacement - cross that bridge when we get to it. MAY BE A LONG WAIT FOR THAT ONE...

Pineapple head - Work permit and medical? HOPEFULLY NEXT WEEK.

Castillo - Still on? SEE ABOVE...

QUOTE (Anti-Dingle-Brigade @ Jul 24 2008, 19:25 )

I just realised I asked about Castillo twice... Oops. STRESS.

I seem to remember Orr was being touted around a lot, as well as Osorio (sp?). LOTS OF RIGHT BACKS BEING WATCHED.

If we don't get Castillo it'll be interesting to see if Ince decides to bring in another player in the same mould or stick with the ones we have. THERE WILL BE AT LEAST TWO MIDFIELDERS COMING IN, MAYBE THREE, POSSIBLY EVEN FOUR.

nicko you said recentley that we were trying to sign a player a player you said was top drawer,i know you wont reveal his name but is there any chance of rovers going back in for him once they sell bentley?

No, he is happy at his club and thinks he is going to play.

Maybe even 4 midfielders, stil coming in? You sure its that many Mr Nixon?

Nicko - in your opinion are any of the players we're looking at better than the ones we have already?

(JohnS where have you been?)

It could be four by August 31.

As the midfield needed strengthening, then any arrivals have to be welcomed.

Whether they are the answer or not is something only time will tell.

Friedel or Robinson? Big question mark.

A genuine right back? Has to be an improvement.

Villanueva? Could be an ideal addition.

Fowler or Rigters? Has to be an improvement if he is fit.

A Bentley replacement? We shall see.

Another get-about-the-park midfielder. Yes, good idea.

So it's not all bad...but the time to judge is going to be at the end of the window - the time to be sure is later.

The 11 o'clocker can't wait...the steamy heat and the chance of a betting frenzy on Celtic v Cardiff means it has been brought forward.

ROBINSON - I understand this will be done, maybe even tonight but almost certainly tomorrow...the fee should be around £3 million and rising in installments...I am saying around £3.5 million in total but it could be more.

BRAD - Waiting to join Villa. Hail and farewell. And those who doubted the story in the first place should stand up and be lashed several times.

The figures on those two seem quite satisfactory in the end and a difficult situation is about to be solved.

BENTLEY - NOT in the Robinson deal and no sign of Spurs reaching the magic figure. Shame, could do with him going and seeing some real money spent.

No other names for you at this stage. I believe the Portugal 'talent' discussions summit is a two-day affair...must have lots to talk about. ;)

I look forward to tomorrow night's game and finding some new names by Sunday for the paper.

The condensed version should be nicko's posts moved across ban all others from posting apart from the Mod's instead of deleting posts they can be moved across.

Maybe they could arrange it so that when Nicko posts a copy is added into this thread.

This is a great idea! keep it as it is now however came up with the condensed version should be applauded!

The condensed version should be nicko's posts moved across ban all others from posting apart from the Mod's instead of deleting posts they can be moved across.

Maybe they could arrange it so that when Nicko posts a copy is added into this thread.

This is a great idea! keep it as it is now however came up with the condensed version should be applauded!

Woah woah woah.

That is going a bit too far. Nicko is one of hundreds of posters and thousands of members, at this rate it'll just be Nicko's forum.

And anyway, I think Nicko enjoys engaging in the banter on here (he certainly gives as good as he gets), I'm not sure he'd want people just coming here for to read his titbits and then leave. Not really fair on those who make an effort to join in with what he's talking about either, is it? If Nicko wanted to operate a kind of news service then I'm sure he would, but this is a board for discussion not just catching up on gossip. I don't want you to feel I'm speaking on your behalf there Nicko (if you even read this), but it feels like some people are a bit 'take take take' and very little 'give'.

Woah woah woah.

That is going a bit too far. Nicko is one of hundreds of posters and thousands of members, at this rate it'll just be Nicko's forum.

And anyway, I think Nicko enjoys engaging in the banter on here (he certainly gives as good as he gets), I'm not sure he'd want people just coming here for to read his titbits and then leave. Not really fair on those who make an effort to join in with what he's talking about either, is it? If Nicko wanted to operate a kind of news service then I'm sure he would, but this is a board for discussion not just catching up on gossip. I don't want you to feel I'm speaking on your behalf there Nicko (if you even read this), but it feels like some people are a bit 'take take take' and very little 'give'.

Twas why I did this, people who want to engage can and people who don't wont.

This is just the summary of everything not topical and chin wagging (which I enjoy immensely), this here thread is to give the people who don't want to "plough" a quick reference area.

I nag and harass Nicko as much as the next poster so I did this on my own without asking anyone to do any extra labor.

Woah woah woah.

Understand, the concerns, but it does save the need for all the search options, which I believe cause problems with bandwidth.

It does not stop the banter or debate, you just go back to the main thread to post your comments and join the debate. To me it act as a sort of an easy reference page.

You'll never know if you don't try it, run it by Nicko, if he agrees try it for a week.

Woah woah woah.

I never said close the other one just have two condensed and the current one. HAVE TWO!!! HAVE YOUR PIE AND EAT IT!!

This is what we have been asking to happen in the main Nicko thread. Nicko puts his updates in there and the chat about a certain player or happening is talked about in the relevant thread.

As you can see above it makes for better reading. The reason we asked for it to be done by Nicko is that it would be just like his news ticker. The problem with you copying is quotes into here yourself is that you would have to live here 24 hours a day to keep it up to date.

I thought you would have recalled your 'exclusive' that Brad was going to Man City to bond with his own goalkeeping coach.

That was the story doing the rounds that day - and not just at your 19th hole.

Brad had got back from holiday, knew nothing of Man City and was happy to stay.

By the Friday of that week Villa had offered him a life-changing and head-turning contract.

The minute I knew that there was a story about it in the Sunday People.

For the next few days after that the Grandees were clucking and saying there 'was nothing in it' and looking for the nearest sandpit to stick their heads into and waiting for the LET to do their usual half-wit denials.

Sad to say, it is proving to be the case.

NO updates this morning - although the detail in the Inde article is quite good. Robinson's agent is away on business...but they spoil that by saying Brad is going for £2 million...it is £2.75 million.

Are Spurs still in talks with Rovers regarding Bentley?

Both sides know the figures - but there is not much progress on that one.

It makes you wonder how badly they want him...

You need to find a new pal. :rover::P

He's "versatile" in the sense that he can play anywhere Bentley can.

The guy involved is chief scout at a club who were keen on him...until he watched him.

Well isn't that a very good example of tapping up?

You would have a tough job proving it...

I have no problems with tapping if people see the thing through. Approaching players and only unsettling them is another matter.

PS Paul Robinson is in the building...

Nicko, Will Robinson be signed any time soon, it seems like an Eternity, i believe i've grown some white hair in this transfer window. Also Spurs Kaboul is playin silly beggers i see, apparently the earthquakes not hit Sunderland and its heading towards Bham, where Friedel will pop out too.

Kaboul and his agent have probably hit a late cash hitch with Sunderland...and done the old 'we're off to Villa' routine. Dull.

As for Robbo...see above.

Thanks for the comeback. :D

I also wonder at what exactly are the attributes some of these scouts look at when evaluating potential players. But when this pal of yours says he isn't good enough, who isn't he good enough for? Manchester United? Blackburn? Hull? And how isn't he good enough? And what exactly does he mean by not good enough? Did he mean as a first team regular, as a squad player, as a back-up, or just not good enough period?

Not good enough to buy a year ago when they were watching...his opinion.

So do you think the Friedel deal will be done today, wouldn't it be good if we sign Robinson and tell Villa Deals Off. I know it will never happen, but Friedel teaching Robinson a thing or too could only benefit him.

Brad will go to Villa once Robinson is sorted out - personal terms, medical etc.

As for both being at Rovers...I don't think that will happen somehow.

nicko, according to this is sounded like either the agent was offering neimi to us, or rovers were interested in him if robinson didnt come off, mind you replacing brad with neimi wouldnt have gone to down with a lot of fans let say -_-

http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Footb...britain-locale/

Also nicko, i know youve mentioned a number of times that a number of right backs are being mentioned, osorio being 1 of them who didnt play last weekend, what is he dosent play this week again, could you give us a name or 2 of others being watched

Niemi is a possible as reserve...I have a funny feeling Brown won't be staying.

As for right backs, you will have to wait until Sunday for that one.

Any good?

Still going through the checking process...but I have a new name of one of the targets. That's all it is, a candidate, but interesting. No more questions on this please.

Are City totally out of this, or will Friedel finally getting permission from Rovers to speak to Villa trigger a reaction from Eastlands? ;)

Man City don't have the money to match Villa's package of fee and wages.

Credit where it is due...very good info.

So, Man City are back in with a late bid?

Yes, Rovers have given him permission agreed to speak to both clubs...but Brad is at Villa right now.

Interesting.

Will no doubt be on Sky Sports News very shortly... ;)

Okay. Any feeling about the way this one will go, or a straight fight?

I would say Villa are still red-hot favourites as there is a huge contract there and the likelihood of three years as number one, maybe guding Guzan through later on.

However Man City's persistence suggests they must think they have a chance. I have heard Sparky is trying to sell someone today to help finance this. I wonder how Joe Hart feels? Sparky obviously does not care. I quite admire the fact that he goes for it - even if the odds are against him.

So I think Villa will get their man...but I just hope Brad does not get stuck in the M6 on a Friday or that might swing it back to City... :lol:

Friedel is at Villa as we speak just seen on the tv in work kitchen

Nicko - Is Robinson having a medical today then?

Yes and probably yes - as long as he has agreed terms which I think is very likely.

I don't think that clip they showed was him being shown round villa park.

No, it's his American soccer academy.

I find the Citeh Massif interest a bit strange. I thought they had a couple of decent keepers at the Council House already. Particularly Hart.

Sparky wants better right now...if I was Hart I would be a bit peeved.

Wonder where he will go if he fails on Brad.

So have they accepted a bid for Friedel from Man City

Yes...down to the player...who is currently at Aston Villa.

Nicko i have family in glasgow and they are telling me that scott brown will be playing for rovers next season?

That would be Albion Rovers judging by his recent form in friendlies...

so no truth

I don't think so, but I will check. It's not a name I had heard of, but the way things are just now anything could pop up.

Oh, and a bunch of stuff about balls and aunties, but that is irrelevant.

Nicko,

I've heard a rumour that Robinson has actually come in a swap for Bentley & 12m. Any truth in that? Also, surprised that Brad hasn't been confirmed by Villa yet.

No to the swap.

Brad will sign for Villa...

I believe Brett Emerton is on the right wing tonght...interesting.

Archived