BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Help, Advice Needed?

I have a well fast metabolism and i'm struggling to put weight on and have had enough!

Most people with weight issues want to lose the pounds but my case is the opposite. I went to the quacks a few years ago and she said my metabolism will slow down when i get older but that was years ago, so i went again and after tests etc...it was the same diagnosis and just give it time.

I've tried:

protein diets of pasta, chicken, cheese etc - didn't work!

creatine, muscle tablets etc - didn't work!

weight lifting down the gym - didn't work!

4 meals a day, last one before I go to sleep - nout!

I'm currently working as a lifeguard, with surfing as a hobby too, i must swim 10+ miles every week. I play football for my local side, so theres no lack of effort and I'm fit.

I have large one's on the weekend, put away a good 20 pints over a weekend which apparently is the best form of calories i can get for putting weight on but still nothing!

I've been on the weed to get the "munchies" which helped me eat more crap but still no gain.

I don't get stressed often(apparently causes you to lose weight), if I was anymore laid back I'd be horizontal!

Apparently during sex you lose the most calories, and there's no way I'm giving that up, I love the ladies too much.

The gym dudes say I'm "ripped" and the only option availible is the roids and thats not a route i want to take in all honesty. I can't be doing with all that rage!

I also smoke, not many but I heard it's a problem and I'm not giving that up either.

Anybody with any ideas or solutions folks?

Let nature take it's course. I was a scrawny SOB for most of my early life (6'2" 145lbs). Once I hit my early 20s, I became an overweight SOB (210lbs), with no change in diet or anything.

In most cases, your metabolism does catch up to you.

You can get stuff from your GP to put weight on, my Mam's on it. Shakes, fruit juice - I was stunned how they work. She did all the usual stuff that works for us - pies, bread, refined carbs, sugars, chocs, junk food, to not much avail. She then was given these foodpacks, and you would never imagine they'd work, simply due to the size of them. However, it must work like stuffing pigeons with flour and water or something, as she's turning into a right bloater now!

Can you be a bit more specific what your goals are, other than 'putting weight on'? What's your long term plan, to convert it to muscle? Or simply just to tip the scales more? Or is it a means to an end to changing your physique in the long term?

I could probably find out the details for you if you wish, PM me to remind me in the morning....

Thanks for quick response folks

I'm now 26 and still no signs of my metabolism slowing up unfortunately.

As for fast food takeaways, I'll probably go through about 5 a week. Really fond of the breakfast menu at mcdonalds on the way to work, have got a bk outlet in the complex where I work so easy for dinners and some evenings and most weekends I'll get a chinese, Indian or kebab after a night on the beer.

I really like fruit too, have about 10 different fruits a day. Anything from kiwi fruit to bananas. That just makes me healthy and not put weight on though.

I not bothered about the muscle as with all the physical activities I do, I'm strong for my size. I can lift well above my body weight which isn't hard tbh :( It's more about adding pounds to the scales.

These food packs sound interesting, my GP said there was nothing available. I tried drinking complan or conplan(sp) with meals as it's what people have for meals when they can't eat solids but that made no difference.

Also found out than sweetcorn doesn't digest, maybe an idea to eat a few kg a day to fill the belly :)

I'm inclined to agree with American. My eldest son was tall and skinny whilst eating copious amounts of food (he still does!) and it wasn't until his late twenties that he started to get broader and more muscles on him. It will happen if it's going to, nothing you can do about it. As long as you stick to a reasonable healthy diet you should be okay.

Meanwhile, I only have to look at an extra doughnut (or similar - can't remember last time I had one :( ) to put on a pound, and only virtual starvation will have any effect on my waistline! I know which I'd rather have.......

Just eat the right things and keep exercising and you'll be OK. I bet you stop worrying so much about body image as you get older.

I'm the opposite, find it difficult to keep weight off but I lay off the fatty foods and don't have too many carbs and keep fairly fit for my age I think.

It just the way we are mate....

Don`t worry i was the same,at 18yrs old my typical daily diet during the week would be something like the following:2bacon and egg sarnies on my 10`o`clock break,a chinese for dinner,a box of jaffa cakes for afternoon break,i would then go home for a big tea and probably have a take away for supper.

At the time i was 6 stone wet through.

By my mid 20`s i had gone up to about 8 stone,by 30 i reached about 10 stone,i am now 37 and weigh about 12 stone and really i am about a stone and a half overweight but eat a lot healthier!

Although you don`t think so now,your metabolism will slow down,maybe not as much as mine has (i think it`s stopped!) but it will slow down some.

As others have posted just stick to a healthy diet and try to eat plenty of protein that should fill you out a bit!

Combine eating high protein food with the right form of exercise. Long distance running or cycling will help you remain toned, but overall, for most people at least, will usually have a negative effect on your metabolism once you get into a solid routine. Lift weights, maintain the number of reps (usually good to work on a 40-60-70-90-70-60 (% of your max strength) system..12 reps per set is usually good), but steadily increase the weight. Try to have 4-5 good weight sessions a week, but try to have each of those within 30 hours of the previous one, followed by days of rest. People often try to use protein shakes and things before they work out, which is when you want to be boosting your possible energy with sugar intake or more specific things, it is best to strengthen the body after you work-out, when your muscles are recovering and developing (the change occurs after, not during).

General tip for your work-out, although not so important for you, start your work-out with aerobic exercise and burn up the sugar surplus in your body, then go for the muscles on your reserve energy before finishing off with a hard aerobic push and then warm-down. It will be the most effective way of losing weight and building muscle for most people and makes best use of your time and energy.

NEVER expect quick results. Within 6 weeks you should start to see a good amount of change, but 2/3 weeks of even the hardest training won't do much for a lot of people.

You can get stuff from your GP to put weight on, my Mam's on it. Shakes, fruit juice - I was stunned how they work. She did all the usual stuff that works for us - pies, bread, refined carbs, sugars, chocs, junk food, to not much avail. She then was given these foodpacks, and you would never imagine they'd work, simply due to the size of them. However, it must work like stuffing pigeons with flour and water or something, as she's turning into a right bloater now!

Can you be a bit more specific what your goals are, other than 'putting weight on'? What's your long term plan, to convert it to muscle? Or simply just to tip the scales more? Or is it a means to an end to changing your physique in the long term?

I could probably find out the details for you if you wish, PM me to remind me in the morning....

Take it your on about RTD meal replacements??

http://www.muscle-shop.co.uk/meal-replacement-rtds/

I know people who've used them when "bulking up" they still eat as norm but add in these on top meal in a drink. Basically a whole meal in liquid form, with the required balance of carb, protein, fat dependent on what you require.

My brother is the same but he is a small guy.

Wheras im built like david dunn :(

built like Dunn my @rse - not last time I saw you ###### up in the Black Dog!

Thanks for quick response folks

I'm now 26 and still no signs of my metabolism slowing up unfortunately.

As for fast food takeaways, I'll probably go through about 5 a week. Really fond of the breakfast menu at mcdonalds on the way to work, have got a bk outlet in the complex where I work so easy for dinners and some evenings and most weekends I'll get a chinese, Indian or kebab after a night on the beer.

I really like fruit too, have about 10 different fruits a day. Anything from kiwi fruit to bananas. That just makes me healthy and not put weight on though.

I not bothered about the muscle as with all the physical activities I do, I'm strong for my size. I can lift well above my body weight which isn't hard tbh :( It's more about adding pounds to the scales.

These food packs sound interesting, my GP said there was nothing available. I tried drinking complan or conplan(sp) with meals as it's what people have for meals when they can't eat solids but that made no difference.

Also found out than sweetcorn doesn't digest, maybe an idea to eat a few kg a day to fill the belly :)

take 'roids

ha ha

Archived