BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Credit Crunch To Hit Football?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pressure on West Ham owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson to sell the club has been increased by the reported collapse of his main business - Samson Holdings - in Iceland. (Daily Mail)

I bet west ham get a buyer though! Nobody wants Rovers - even the current owners want rid even before the credit crunch. That is the sad reality of Rovers. I wonder how the current owners are being affected by the credit crunch.

The pressure on West Ham owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson to sell the club has been increased by the reported collapse of his main business - Samson Holdings - in Iceland. (Daily Mail)

Seems he green-lighted a loan to XL for 130 million + too?

Seriously, who's going to buy a footy club just now? No wonder we couldn't find a serious buyer if Mr Rothschild was too busy cosying up to his political 'mates' in Corfu.

Seems he green-lighted a loan to XL for 130 million + too?

Seriously, who's going to buy a footy club just now? No wonder we couldn't find a serious buyer if Mr Rothschild was too busy cosying up to his political 'mates' in Corfu.

It sounds as though there are 2 serious contenders for NU.

West Ham's parent company put into administration. Lots of noises about West Ham are OK and no need to sell to survive- they have no option but to say those things but I know from another Prem club (not Rovers) that a few weeks ago they were invited to make offers for any they fancied from a long list of West Ham players.

In another development, the Premier League estimate the hard times are going to cost the League 300,000 through the turnstiles this season.

At a rough estimate, Rovers faithful are down by 3,000 in each like-for-like fixture this year so Rovers could account for 20% of the Premier League's missing numbers.

West Ham's parent company put into administration. Lots of noises about West Ham are OK and no need to sell to survive- they have no option but to say those things but I know from another Prem club (not Rovers) that a few weeks ago they were invited to make offers for any they fancied from a long list of West Ham players.

In another development, the Premier League estimate the hard times are going to cost the League 300,000 through the turnstiles this season.

At a rough estimate, Rovers faithful are down by 3,000 in each like-for-like fixture this year so Rovers could account for 20% of the Premier League's missing numbers.

Taking the average home gate this season v the average home gate last season the figure is 2047 down at the moment. It'll be interesting to visit this figure at the end of the season rather than now as I don't think anybody can really reliably work out what the figures will be.

As for West Ham, 'there'll be no fire sale' might be the official position but we do know they don't like to tell the truth don't we?

Taking the average home gate this season v the average home gate last season the figure is 2047 down at the moment. It'll be interesting to visit this figure at the end of the season rather than now as I don't think anybody can really reliably work out what the figures will be.

As for West Ham, 'there'll be no fire sale' might be the official position but we do know they don't like to tell the truth don't we?

And the Rovers official position is telling the truth at present as well of course.

To be 2,047 down on average so far against last season's total average after three of the big four have been and Sunderland and Hull City both brought 5,000 travelling fans points to a cataclysmic decline in support by the time we get to the end of this season.

And the Rovers official position is telling the truth at present as well of course.

To be 2,047 down on average so far against last season's total average after three of the big four have been and Sunderland and Hull City both brought 5,000 travelling fans points to a cataclysmic decline in support by the time we get to the end of this season.

I wouldn't say that, we haven't had the traditional big crowd days yet. As I've said, you really can't judge yet.

I wouldn't say that, we haven't had the traditional big crowd days yet. As I've said, you really can't judge yet.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U certainly are very unattractive fixtures.

West Ham are in a similar situation to Man City during the summer now.

Their parent company is in administration which means they have to sell assets to meet creditor obligations which at present cannot be met as they fall due.

West Ham avoid the ten point deduction because it is not WHUFC which has gone under but if the parent doesn't find a buyer quickly, the contagion of administration could quickly spread to the subsidiaries. Certainly if WHUFC owed you any money, you'd want it paying immediately because WHUFC's parent is incapable of helping and despite protestations to the contrary might well have drawn money from WHUFC or be trying to get cash from them.

If West Ham don't find a new owner shortly (and that's complicated by the Tevez case), West Ham could find themselves becoming the first Prem club to go bust mid-season.

On the other hand, rumours about Dubai interest persist so perhaps WHUFC will go from imminent 10 point penalty to riches beyond immagination just like City did.

The gate against Sunderland was very worrying.5,000+ Mackems leaves just over 16,000 Rovers fans in Ewood,the reality is that we were getting larger crowds back in our two season stay in Div one nearly some nine years ago now.

More than the current recession the quality of football and entertainment on show gives a damning explanation for the dramatic fall in attendance...every home game the empty seats just seem more.

Archived