BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Evening Kick Offs

I don't know who sets the times of evening games, but can the FF ask why we now kick off so late??

I buy my 11 yr old grandson a season ticket, however the 8pm kick of times in the evenings, means he doesn't get home from games till about 10.30Pm. This means he gets to bed late and can't get up for school the next day. His mother goes mad and has now forbidden him from attending night matches. I am sure that he is not the only one who is suffering in this way. Surely night matches attendences must be suffering due to this.

Why can games not kick of earlier again? My recollection was that the time was orginally made to suit Sky Sports televised games.

Football used to always be 3Pm on a Saturday or 7Pm when an evening game was played. You knew where you stood. Bring back these times for me!!!!

Micko

we used to kick off at 7.30pm (perfect kick off time).Then tv started 8pm kick offs and going back umpteen years man utd played ( i think it was QPR) in un televised match ,kick off 7.30 or 7.45 cant remember which.There was gridlock on the motorways and the game delayed.After that man u always kicked off at 8pm and then lots of clubs including us started with the 8pm one.

I seem to remember that 7.30 kick offs used to lead to mayhem around Ewood as everyone scrambled to get home, get their tea, get to the pub and then to the ground in time. There were lots of delayed kick offs and other times when thousands were still queueing when the game started so the club moved them to 7.45 in response.

Now that the B'burn End has more than one turnstile with a doddery old bloke operating it, perhaps the club might have a rethink?

5:15 Saturdays are the worst. It means you spend half of Saturday wondering what to do with the few hours before the game and means you miss half of Saturday night.

Yeah Saturday tea time kick-offs are definately the most annoying. Like you said you end up hanging around for a couple of hours until it's time to set off and it feels like you've been robbed off your day by the time the game as finished.

I don't mind midweek evening kick-offs, actually quite enjoy them there's always a different sort of atmosphere for night matches.

But on the topic of your grandson not getting up in the morning, if your saying he gets back home for 10.30pm, allow an hour to get ready for bed and to sleep then that's 11.30pm. The recommended sleeping time per night is around eight hours, which would mean sleeping till about 7.30am which I guess would be the right time to get up in morning for school. Too much sleep can be just as bad as too little sleep for people.

5:15 Saturdays are the worst. It means you spend half of Saturday wondering what to do with the few hours before the game and means you miss half of Saturday night.

Yes Setanta have a lot to answer for. Before them you could pick and choose which Premier+ matches you wanted to pay for. No way am I going to pay yet another tenner a month to those people.

The club questions why season tickets arent renewed.

Well the kick off times are a major contribution to fans not renewing. When you knew that it was a 3pm Saturday or 7.30 Wednesday kick off you could generally plan to attend most games.

But the 6pm, 7.45pm 8pm Monday.Tuesday Wednesday or 12.30pm 3pm 5.15pm Saturday or 12.30pm 4pm Sunday kick off really mixed your attendance diary, especially if you were a long distance travelling supporter.

Working down in Knutsford 8.00pm suits me as I have time to get home, eat, change, collect anyone else and get to the ground but it does mean I'm not home till 10.30 / 11.00pm which I agree is late for kids.

I'm a strong supporter of KO 3.00pm every other Saturday end of discussion. However I really like the 5.15pm KO time as it leaves the whole day free for other stuff. I'd be happy to see every home game KO at 5.15pm on Saturday, suits me but would probably cause a riot with thousands of others

I'm lucky being retired and the kids grown up that it doesn't matter to me whether it's 7.30, 7.45 or 8.00 for night matches. When i was working I had the same issue as Modes and Paul in needing time to get home, eat and get out again so 8.00 was good.

I'm quite happy to take this to the Fans Forum but only if there is a clear mandate from fans as to what they would want - at the moment it looks like we're split. Any chance of a poll to help us?

I'm lucky being retired and the kids grown up that it doesn't matter to me whether it's 7.30, 7.45 or 8.00 for night matches. When i was working I had the same issue as Modes and Paul in needing time to get home, eat and get out again so 8.00 was good.

I'm quite happy to take this to the Fans Forum but only if there is a clear mandate from fans as to what they would want - at the moment it looks like we're split. Any chance of a poll to help us?

I don't really mind what time night games kick off as i get a lift to all home games now.

When i always used to get the train in though, 7:30/7:45 was ideal as it gave me chance to get my last train out of Blackburn which leaves at 10pm, its not possible to get that with a 8pm KO.

Archived