BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Citeh

Paul

But it was the right decision to go 5 in midfield - I think the only problems were :-

1. Tiredness

2. Ooijer - who was responsible for both goals

3. Can't remember if Simpson was on the bench - but I would have brought him on the right wing rather than Derbs

You also have to look at an awful referee display - compounded by not sending off Dunne in the first few minutes (surely the last man denying a goal scoring opportunity) and Ireland (definite intent on his tackle of MGP, should have been 2nd yellow).

Very disappointing to draw after being 2-0 up - but I would have taken a draw at the start of the match.

Personally I don't dislike Webb and rate his as just about the best bref around at the moment.

I think you are forgetting also that Tugay could easily have been sent off. If he had not already cautioned him I'm sure Webb would have given him another soon after when he called Nelsen and Tugay over for a 'word'.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't beleive the knee jerk reactions to a disappointing last 10 minutes.

We picked up 5 points over the festive period - yes it should probably have been 9 - but the progress in team organisation and pattern is there for all to see. Considering Sam hasn't had too long to instill his methods into the team - I am more than happy at the progress we have made.

We are now within touching distance of an increasing number of clubs - whereas before we were cut adrift. I agree we can't throw away points - but also we can't expect Chelsea like performances.

Most impressive for me against City - for periods we looked confident again - and the work rate was brilliant.

The future is a lot brighter than it was three games ago - we just have to push on. IMO the next 4 or 5 premiership games will make or break our season - we need to pick up points in these matches - or will be stuffed by the time we start playing the more challenging matches.

What about right full back ?

A long term requirement but NOT a priority this January. You must be able to see Tyrone that the weakness down the right side is on the wing. We have at least 3 OK ish right backs but nothing resembling a winger. Poor Brett tries hard enough but all he does is hit the first man every time he tries to cross the ball from wide! He is much more effective when overlapping. This will receive adverse comment but what he needs is a Pederson type winger in front of him who will cover back and dove tail on the right.

Emerton has improved over the past few years and is now one of our most important players but his lack of quality was evident with his free shot at the start of the second half. A top player would have buried that chance or at least hit the target setting up a possible chance on the rebound.

Gutted so I waited to post. on col reflection.

Oiujer - like him but went missing for both goals. Shame 'cos otherwise he got in lots of telling interceptions.

Thought everyone else did okay but Roberts was outstanding:

However, we're a long way from getting out of the woods

We're depending on a crock (poor old Dunny) and a Grandad (Poor old Tugay) to power our midfield. If someone else doesn't step up or we buy someone we will loose goals like that again and again. Lack any semblance of quality without them all across midfield.

Collective loss of heads at 87 mins. Derbyshire could have gone to the corner, Ref could have blown, Tugay could have walked slower (was it just me or did he walk a tightrope after his booking), Robinson could have thrown out (started doing that 1st half which brought players into the game).

The real and glaring downside is though we lack any squad quality. City brought on superbly effective players (Sturridge! Surely under another manager he'd start - Vincent was biz). Time and again sides get points in the premiership by putting lively subs on. City's had quality and they had five excellent forwards on at the end. All would walk into our team.

Maybe we should have gone five at the back. Maybe .......!

Other results are not going for us guys but 2 more points would have made it a great X-Mas. As it is we have five more than I envisaged a couple of weeks ago.

Squeek!

:rover: i watched my first ever rovers home league game in the pub yesterday,and if anyone says football attendances are not affected by live football,they are living in cuckoo land.to the game,citeh missed 2 open goals in the 1st 15 mins,and each side had legitimate penalty cliams.

under paul ince we would have been 2-0 down,now to the crux off the matter i want to know what the back four have been doing.yesterday apart from the the first 10 and last 10 mins,they looked the players off old,is it because there ex messsiah was in town,or was it they were trying to get ince sacked.

citeh defence was a shambles,they let the front 2 turn every time,and we played some great togger.enjoy what you saw yesterday,because sam is about to wheeel and deal :brfcsmilie:

Organisation - or lack of it. For some reason, under Ince, we had a huge gap between midfield and defence - which led to lack of midfield cover in defensive situations. Best example I can thing of - - there is no way under BFS that Olsson would have been left isolated against Lennon in the Spuds game - MGP would have been doubling up to nullify the effect.

Another factor - was I beleive fitness - probably too early for Sam to have a real impact on this - but I would hope to see the mistakes cut out even more as the season goes on.

:rover:

..... i want to know what the back four have been doing.yesterday apart from the the first 10 and last 10 mins,they looked the players off old,is it because there ex messsiah was in town,or was it they were trying to get ince sacked.

Let me give you a clue waggy. They started keeping clean sheets 3 matches ago. ;)

btw can you stop with all the BRFC smilies now that you are no longer a proper supporter but have become a part timer? :rover:

They are sinking faster than the Titanic and with Adams in charge, he won't get all the money from the transfers with the financial trouble. Only bad thing is we gifted them the 3 points against us. Life would have looked alot brighter with them not having those extra points.

And Adams id becoming Russ Abbott!

If we do not solve the midfield and right wing situation pdq............ me.

Do you play there?

Let me give you a clue waggy. They started keeping clean sheets 3 matches ago. ;)

btw can you stop with all the BRFC smilies now that you are no longer a proper supporter but have become a part timer? :rover:

:rover: i paid for my season ticket this year,if not going to the match because the clown alladice is in charge makes me a part timer so be it :brfcsmilie:

.........but the progress in team organisation and pattern is there for all to see. Considering Sam hasn't had too long to instill his methods into the team - I am more than happy at the progress we have made.

Now for the ugly professional down side. :unsure:

I don't think Sam's Bolton would have lost a 2 goal lead to yesterdays lightweight Man City team. We frequently scuppered them with late goals but I rem they were past masters at running the clock down. Feigned injuries requiring lengthy treatments which disrupted the flow of the game when opponents are pressing were the order of the day would likely have seen us grab all three points yesterday imo.

It'll be a shock cos we've never done that.... but on the other hand we've never been praised or beneffitted by not doing. We are still 'dirty northern barstewards' so lets earn it. :rover:

Now for the ugly professional down side. :unsure:

I don't think Sam's Bolton would have lost a 2 goal lead to yesterdays lightweight Man City team. We frequently scuppered them with late goals but I rem they were past masters at running the clock down. Feigned injuries requiring lengthy treatments which disrupted the flow of the game when opponents are pressing were the order of the day would likely have seen us grab all three points yesterday imo.

It'll be a shock cos we've never done that.... but on the other hand we've never been praised or beneffitted by not doing. We are still 'dirty northern barstewards' so lets earn it. :rover:

:rover: get used to it because bfs will clone us into bwfc 2005 :angry::brfcsmilie:

i paid for my season ticket this year,if not going to the match because the clown alladice is in charge makes me a part timer so be it

I knew you'd say that! :D

Truth is I'd paid for mine when Hughes went and Ince was appointed. Granted I moaned, I whinged and I griped about the dud waggy.......... but at least the dummy stayed in. ;)

And Adams id becoming Russ Abbott!

Do you play there?

No I'm err ...... left footed! :unsure:

get used to it because bfs will clone us into bwfc 2005 :angry:

I'll have to waggy or else I might end up in the bed next to you with liver failure. :closedeyes:

I knew you'd say that! :D

Truth is I'd paid for mine when Hughes went and Ince was appointed. Granted I moaned, I whinged and I griped about the dud waggy.......... but at least the dummy stayed in. ;)

:rover: did you not have a little signature,saying you were a ex season ticket holder who had took up golf. :brfcsmilie:

it's a results business, we don't have the budget to achieve much more ambition then Bolton 2005-2007

And no matter what we want it keeps coming back to that. Maybe that should be pinned onto nicko's page to stop the nickoteens getting in a froth.

Taking Tugay off was a turning point I felt, he'd been doing some great passing and we looked assured with the ball, after Tugs went off we put much less pressure on citeh and allowed them to come out of defence. That said when Robert's goal went in I was over the moon, thought that was job done. I enjoyed the match, was gutted with the result, I'm sure the lads will be kicking themselves at the result. Fingers crossed we can strengthen midfield now and avoid having Aaron "can't pass won't tackle" Mokoena on the field again.

Listened to the match when I was on my way back from a walk in the lakes. The reception was so poor I had difficulty making out which team had scored. Nearly swerved off the road when I finally made out that we were 2 nil up and thought we were home and dry. Nearly drove into a ditch when they equalised. Obviously very dissapointed that we did not win. Still in a dire position but slowly getting there. It sounded like we did OK. We are now 2 points from the pack. A time for clear heads and calm nerves.

Hopefully a few teams around us are going to "blow up". Stoke look dodgy as do Hull ( too many points already ) and Portsmouth. Also I hope that certain teams financial troubles come home to rooste. West Ham without Belamy could be a different team as could Portsmouth without Defoe.

Agree that our most worrying position is central mid. When is Grella due back? Soon I hope. Not that I think he is great but he is a recognised midfield player with expereince at a decent level.

Archived