BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Citeh

Paul

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like a lot of people was pleased to see Sam arrive but worried we would move towards "percentage" football - long balls out wide, concentrating on set pieces and so forth. However the signs in the last three games have been encouraging. We have looked to pass the ball, keep in on the ground a decent amount of the time, and for players to break from the midfield and full back when we get forward.

That said he has given us some of the "percentage" stuff - but things I do not object to at all - high work rate, exceptional organisation, doubling up defensviely and denying space in our own half, looking to play the ball early if it is a decent opportunity. Nothing wrong with this in the least. Also you can see things like Samba going up for long throws and an improvement in set piece routines which is very very welcome as it creates danger. Plus the moving of McCarthy into a more attacking role while Jason plays deep has been a clever move.

So all in all he seems to be adding his own style whilst taking little away from our attacking play. He also has shown no hesitancy in playing the likes of Benni up front who certainly does not fit into the Bolton/Newcastle approach.

If he keeps this up, and concentrates on signing a couple of players with a bit of flair to complement the workrate we already have in spades I will be delighted. Waggy does have a point in that it will be what players he bring in over time which will make the ultimate difference, but Allardyce knows the stigma against him comes from the long ball approach, and this ultimately damaged his bid for the England job. I am sure he will be as keen to lose this as the supporters are providing it is feasible. That depends on who is available to sign I guess, and who he can hold on to.

He won't endager us to play attractive football though I am sure. It will be, as it is now, getting the basics right in the first instance and then looking to provide the flourish on top of that.

City's support was poor - but again the Police stopped us from selling the top tier - not quite sure why as we missed out on an extra 3000 at the game!

That was just the Stoke game.

There were a number of City supporters in the top tier.

Maybe it's because his sides don't know how to retain possession.

or maybe it's just natural human behaviour that happens to most football teams when they are a goal up with minutes to go. We were hardly immune to conceeding goals just before half time and full time under Hughes.

I think your being mislead a little Hughsey.

According to the city fans in my missus's bar City didnt get anywhere near to filling their quota of allocated tickets. They were on general sale two weeks before the game and they still didnt sell out. They have failed to sell out every game apart from United at home.

In Preston there were 3 coach loads of City fans who were turned away from Ewood hoping to pay on the door and ended up spending their hard earned over the bar.

Genuine question for Waggy, i'm not having a go...

If you have already paid for your season ticket and don't want to go because Sam is in charge, am I right in presuming it's because you don't like his style of football? And don't like Sam himself?

If so, then doesn't watching it on Sky kind of defeat the purpose of not going? I mean you are still watching them right? Why not watch them at the ground?

Waggy made a fair comment. If you are winning, a few minutes to go, take the ball to the corner, try to work a free kick or what ever, or were you just being inflammatory?

Only one moderator does that regularly and it's not modes.

Please, just put waggy on the ignore list. It saves me reading the replies every time someone bites to his trolling.

I actually accepted the result fairly quickly. It was a sucker-punch, but there's no use moping about it. You can't change what has happened. I'd rather take the positives that we're now a tighter outfit and worked our bloody socks off. There's also five points between us and the 11th placed team, so we've got a long way to go yet.

I'd have taken the result a lot easier if Roberts had not provided the miss of the season in the last minute and we had got 3 points at sunderland!

In the tone of Graham Taylor.............. Do I not like last minutes.

:rover: sure is and when spit the dog comes along there will be more doing it :brfcsmilie:

Right now viewing 'Spit the dog' at Ewood is far preferable to listening to 'Spit the dummy' from Rishton.

Be careful though waggy ................. you are painting yourself into a corner.

Genuine question for Waggy, i'm not having a go...

If you have already paid for your season ticket and don't want to go because Sam is in charge, am I right in presuming it's because you don't like his style of football? And don't like Sam himself?

If so, then doesn't watching it on Sky kind of defeat the purpose of not going? I mean you are still watching them right? Why not watch them at the ground?

:rover: fair enough question,i hate alladice as a bloke,his football is fair enough if the players availabke to you can only preform that way,watching the match in the pub is what i always do on a sunday,wether it's manure,chelski or liverpoo.if you want a crook as our manager fair enough,but i will not grace ewood till he has gone :brfcsmilie:

:,but i will not grace ewood till he has gone :brfcsmilie:

Your loss old chap because he is going to be Rovers manager for some considerable time.

I did not "support" Ince or Souness and I don't trust Williams either but they would not stop me going to Ewood and I will support the team until I pop me clogs.

Not saying I agree with your description of Allardyce but you had no problem attending games when Souness was here?

:unsure:

:rover: fair point but most off his crooked behaviour was done when junior was not old enough to go by himself :unsure::brfcsmilie:

At least we got a draw. The two goals in the last few minutes are annoying, but you would expect a team that has cost millions and millions of pounds to beat us easily. We are still unbeaten under BFS, and the longer we can keep that up, the more confidence we can get. With the tble as it is, it is all about momentum.

Not saying I agree with your description of Allardyce but you had no problem attending games when Souness was here?

:unsure:

Unlike that there Allardyce, maybe Souey doesn't look enough the part of the Victorian villain for Waggy?

Otherwise the same or very similar (cough) question marks (thus far unproven :rolleyes: ) were hanging over St. Graham....and no one ever accused Big Sam of being 'on the take' at Rovers ;)

:rover: my objections have not changed since the day alladice was linked little while back in the summer :brfcsmilie:

Indeed and very commendable waggy but you seem similarly intransigent in your opinion and odd support of Paul Ince.

As we all know Paul Ince has proven to be a total dud as a manager and his ineptitude may well yet be the undoing of BRFC as a Premier League team. Looking back all Ince ever did and every major decision he made in hindsight seemed to have been done to anger and disappoint the supporters. If he actually wanted sacking in record time he couldn't have made a better job of it. Can you explain why?

Hey! that is a great link............chuckled reading the pre-Ince "anti-sam" stuff............how fickle we are!

71% against! Wonder what the figures would be today?

Even then, if I had known the alternative was Ince, I'd have been pro-Sam.

It really didn't seem remotely possible with the names that were available we'd end up with Ince.

I must admit I was in favour of giving the young lad Ince chance.

Guilty as charge.

I was quite pleased Ince got the job because he seemed successful in the lower leagues, and I assumed that the board must have been very impressed with him at interveiw and he had a clear grasp of how to take the club forward that was convincing and well thought out.

How wrong I was. What exactly happened at that interview? He had no staff, no transfer targets. How could it have been convincing?

I was quite pleased Ince got the job because he seemed successful in the lower leagues, and I assumed that the board must have been very impressed with him at interveiw and he had a clear grasp of how to take the club forward that was convincing and well thought out.

How wrong I was. What exactly happened at that interview? He had no staff, no transfer targets. How could it have been convincing?

He was the cheapest option on offer.

Archived