BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Citeh

Paul

I still find it strange to see Hughes in charge of City and Friedel in another team's goal, two individuals who have been closely connected to and very important to Rovers in recent years. Losing Hughes was a real blow to Rovers, so I continue to hope Allardyce can bring some respect back to Ewood, I'm certainly looking at games anticipating a result rather than a loss.

We've had a whole string of important "must win" games for different reasons in recent weeks but I see this one as the most imortant:

• Win and other results go the way I expect brings everyone up to and including Portsmouth within three points of Rovers. Maybe even Bolton though I expect them to beat Wigan
  • The team have a point to prove to Hughes
  • Boro Pompey and Stoke will have very similar goal differences to ours
City may have scored 5 yesterday but if Sam was watching MOTD he'll already know why. Hull simply couldn't defend from the wings and were badly stretched by any cross into the box. We need to get tight on City from the KO, stop them playing and cut off the supply to the front men. Quite were our chances will come from I still don't know so I'm reckoning on a very tense afternoon with Rovers sneaking a 2-1 victory.

Frightening thought for you all, of the 16 ex PL clubs in the Championship, 9 are in the bottom half. 6 ex Pl clubs aren't even in the Championship! :wacko:

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had beaten Sunderland, a draw here would have sufficed but a rampaging City win against Hull makes this a difficult match.

We must win, otherwise our must win games will be turning to satisfying draws, which wont be enough come end of the season.

Dunn is out, and Nelsen is doubtful. I hope Roque is back and ready to rub it in and prove how much he is worth!

The points that give me a ray of hope for tomorrow are:

* Man Citeh at home and Man Citeh away are two completely different sides.

* Their glittering array of attacking talent most definitely do not like it up 'em.

We've kept two clean sheets under Sam, the second of which came against a team who scored 8 in their previous two games. We can shut them down on the ball and pressure them into giving it up, and then they struggle to get the ball back. Their choices for left back are pretty poor and can be exploited by pace - if Nelsen can't play then I'd move Ooijer to centre half and let Simpson and Emerton overlap on the right, where Robinho won't track back so it's two against Michael Ball.

More importantly, what reception is Hughes going to get?

The game itself, well, this team reminds me of the period Hughes first took over. I currently feel our only chance of winning games is by keeping it tight and nicking a goal at the other end. Until we sort out the fact we have the slowest and most uncreative midfield in world football, this will remain for the foreseeable future.

I still hope we can get a result, and having a fit and up for it Santa Cruz would be nice.

Never thought I'd feel optimistic but I do so 0-2 to City again (come on you Blue and Whites!)

I don't think this is a must win - would like to win it though.

the relegation positions for me are between:

Rovers

West Brom (Mowbray lost the plot yesterday - should be done for fielding an understrength team - does that not happen any more - Tote would investigate

for not trying if horses were involved. Bet RFW was livid - Beattie back! No thanks)

Stoke - one trick pony

Sunderland - Poor Defence -could get out but next week or so and transfer window will be crucial)

Portsmouth - Freefall, money issues.

WHU maybe if Bellers and others are sold. You never know with this lot.

Possibly Hull - Freefall

Everyone else will buy themselves out of it.

Bet on a last four in order of:

Rovers

Portsmouth

Stoke

WBA

That will do me!

The game itself, well, this team reminds me of the period Hughes first took over. I currently feel our only chance of winning games is by keeping it tight and nicking a goal at the other end. Until we sort out the fact we have the slowest and most uncreative midfield in world football, this will remain for the foreseeable future.

I still hope we can get a result, and having a fit and up for it Santa Cruz would be nice.

There should really be only one knid of reception,and that is a good one.

We might not like him leaving us for one of our rivals,but he did a fantastic job for us and we shouldn`t forget that.

4-0 city brought down with a bump....MUST MUST MUST WIN GAME!

JW said when he appointed Sam that a Win , Draw and Defeat until the end of the season would see us end with 41 points.

In that respect and taking it three games at a time, anything other than a loss will be a bonus.

Hughes deserves a good ovation after what he achieved whilst he was here.

As for the game, I expect sam to play exactly the way he got them playing against Sunderland and to some extent stoke - counter attacking strong, resilient football. By playing almost as the away side tomorrow, Rovers will try and lure them out before being cheeky and trying to nick a goal.

I agree with shillito15, our midfield is pretty poor at the moment and due to that i'd be happy with a goalless draw or a one nil win for us. It could easily go the other way though.

For what he achieved with us I will applaud him.

For robbing the club of every piece of footballing equipment and info, I'd like to happy slap him.

Man city are a bit like jekyll and Hyde, Robinho is just back so two games in three days will be hard for him. I'm hopeful but a disciplined defensive display will be required, lets see if Sam can still rattle the big boys.

Rovers 2-1

Robinho & co have just had one big performance, so they're due a day-off tomorrow. With any luck, anyway.

If we can get about them and keep it tight, we've got every chance of stealing the points. Hughes will do everything to get his lads motivated, as he won't want to leave Ewood with egg on his face. We'll miss Dunn in midfield, which means Tugay will have to be defrosted for another game. Still not entirely convinced about Andrews. I think we need someone more inclined to break up play, - Grella, Vogel. But I can't see Sam making any big changes, and the aforementioned must be lacking in match sharpness.

1-1.

Never thought I'd feel optimistic but I do so 0-2 to City again (come on you Blue and Whites!)

I don't think this is a must win - would like to win it though.

the relegation positions for me are between:

Rovers

West Brom (Mowbray lost the plot yesterday - should be done for fielding an understrength team - does that not happen any more - Tote would investigate

for not trying if horses were involved. Bet RFW was livid - Beattie back! No thanks)

Stoke - one trick pony

Sunderland - Poor Defence -could get out but next week or so and transfer window will be crucial)

Portsmouth - Freefall, money issues.

WHU maybe if Bellers and others are sold. You never know with this lot.

Possibly Hull - Freefall

Everyone else will buy themselves out of it.

Bet on a last four in order of:

Rovers

Portsmouth

Stoke

WBA

That will do me!

You've missed Middlesbrough off your list. My friend is a Boro fan and concerned that they too, like Pompey, are in freefall. I would rather be in our situation than theirs. We will be resurgent in the second half of the season but I doubt they will be.

As for tomorrow, I hope that Hughes gets a good reception but, if we take the lead, I would still join in asking what the score was. :lol:

Maybe overrating City, but I just cannot see us winning this one. The way we are set up to play means we need our players fresh and fit and playing yesterday will mean tiredness.

As has been pointed out, our midfield is lacking quality and our whole team does not possess any pace. Even if Man City do not play well, they have players who can hurt us with a piece of skill.

Such an important game and I think Sam, with the 'new manager impact', would have realistically been targetting two wins out of the Stole/Sunderland/Man City games.

Regarding the reception for Hughes, he should receive a decent one - he did an excellent job for us.

Personally I think Rovers can win this game by the odd goal. I dont foresee a goalfest even with robinno, caeideo,elano and jo (funny how they all seem to be named ending o!).

Richards and dunne doubtful, robinno having another test.

Rovers have Dunny out with Nelsen a doubt because of an eye injury/swelling.

I am going to take a Rovers 1-0 win with a benni penalty, bhitting the keeper, the bar and rebounding in off his very large posterior.

with dunn out..nelsen an injury doubt

i think we should line up with robinson, ooijer, zurab, samba,warnock, emerton, vogel, andrews, pedersen, roberts and mcarthy..

a midfield of andrews and mokoena doesnt work-so get vogel or even grella(if fit and well) in the there, and that would give andrews license to get forward..

mcarthy and roberts are working well together so they deserve to start together..

There is one thing Rovers most definately have to do tomorrow versus City to ensure at least a point.

ISOLATE Ireland and that the productivity line closed down. He had a hand in all of the goals yesterday.

Ooijer will have his hands full with Robinno if he is fit to play.

4-4-2 should suffice although I am not too certain how the midfield of Rovers will line up.

Emerton Vogel/Andrews Tugay MGP

Andrews with his ability to run may just be the person to try and nullify Ireland, Vogel definaltely has the ability to create City problems in the midfield battle.

There is one thing Rovers most definately have to do tomorrow versus City to ensure at least a point.

ISOLATE Ireland and that the productivity line closed down. He had a hand in all of the goals yesterday.

Ooijer will have his hands full with Robinno if he is fit to play.

4-4-2 should suffice although I am not too certain how the midfield of Rovers will line up.

Emerton Vogel/Andrews Tugay MGP

Andrews with his ability to run may just be the person to try and nullify Ireland, Vogel definaltely has the ability to create City problems in the midfield battle.

Andrews will definately start i think, due to his work rathe as much as anything else. Who partners him is an interesting question. Grella is probably not available (surprise...), Vogel seems to be out of the picture, Tugay is a genius but his work rate is rapidly diminishing, Mokoena will be physical but will give the ball away loads and lose his man.

It is probably the first time Sam will be forced to make a creative decision in the lineup. I will be interested to see who he goes for.

Andrews will definately start i think, due to his work rathe as much as anything else. Who partners him is an interesting question. Grella is probably not available (surprise...), Vogel seems to be out of the picture, Tugay is a genius but his work rate is rapidly diminishing, Mokoena will be physical but will give the ball away loads and lose his man.

It is probably the first time Sam will be forced to make a creative decision in the lineup. I will be interested to see who he goes for.

I'd replace Dunn with Emerton. at least he can get up and down. Maybe Judge on the right wing ?

I'd like to think Hughes will get a polite reaction, but I suspect there'll be quite a few boo boys.

I very much doubt he's going to get a 'polite reaction' from the crowd tommorrow. More than likely boos all round for leaving us for local rivals Citeh. If you remember Souey got a poor reaction as did Shearer when they both returned and they actually won things whilst at the club.

Think this one will be a close match, expect quite a few goals though.

Archived