BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Interesting List

There's a very interesting list in todays Guardian- It compares the performances of all the teams that have stayed in the Prem since 2002-03 season ( 13 teams in all ). Believe it or not Rovers are top and our net spend over that period is + £ 0.5 mill and we have a pts per £mill ratio of 682. Arsenal are second with a ratio of 23.2 ! Chelsea are bottom with a ratio of 1.8 !!! Food for thought for everyone at Rovers. I'm surprised our resident statistical wiz Phillip hadn't got there first. Phillip, you must try harder.

There's a very interesting list in todays Guardian- It compares the performances of all the teams that have stayed in the Prem since 2002-03 season ( 13 teams in all ). Believe it or not Rovers are top and our net spend over that period is + £ 0.5 mill and we have a pts per £mill ratio of 682. Arsenal are second with a ratio of 23.2 ! Chelsea are bottom with a ratio of 1.8 !!! Food for thought for everyone at Rovers. I'm surprised our resident statistical wiz Phillip hadn't got there first. Phillip, you must try harder.

The same list also shows that only Arsenal (511), man u (544) everton (369) liverpool (456)..and, just , villa ( 347) and spurs (342) beat rovers' total of 341 points gained in the period in question.

... we have a pts per £mill ratio of 682. Arsenal are second with a ratio of 23.2 !

That's incredible. If you defined "success" in the EPL as the points acquired as a ratio of how much a club spends we are the most successful club by a factor of oh...around.... THREE HUNDRED!!! I'd love to see it done all the way back to '92 though, would shut the perennial "Rovers bought the title" tw@s up for good.

Here's my attempt at the relevant part of the list. Net spend followed by pts per million.-

Rovers- £ 0.5----- 682.

Arsenal-£22m-----23.2.

Bolton-£19m-------17.3

Fulham-£19m-------15.4.

Everton-£25m-------14.8.

Red Rats-£101m-----5.4.

Villa-£64m------5.4.

Boro-£62m------4.9.

Newcastle-£69m----4.9.

Liverpool-£117m-----3.9.

City-£101m-----3.1.

Spurs-£113m-----3.0.

Chelsea-£300m----1.8

Amazing stuff really. Money bags Rovers, you're having a laugh.

Does that not go to show that Arsene Wenger is the shrewdest transfer market operator we have seen on these shores?

The bitter bleat about 17 year olds signed for millions upon millions by Wenger but compared to the rest, he does not spend much at all and yet gets CHamps League every time.

Archived