BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Itv 4 Yesterday

:rover: always try and watch the big match revisted,yesterday it focused on the 2nd division,much to my suprise rovers were on.away to brighton,30 yrs ago.i was at the match,we travelled down the night before,stopping of in oxford for a drink friday night,then on to brighton saturday.

i can't remenber the smoke bomb on the pitch when brighton scored their 1st,but i do remenber it was one of TIM PARKIN only games for the rovers.great goal from a free kick by johnny aston,i'm sure they replay the big match on sunday morning,make a date. :brfcsmilie:

I was there. Another game away we should have wrapped up the points and didn't. Amazing that nothing was done about that smoke bomb.

When I saw waggy's topic title, I had to check we hadn't suffered a double relegation at the end of April!

Butcher, Bailey, Rathbone, Coughlin, Parkin, Faz, Brotherston, Garner, Craig, Fowler, McKenzie. Sub Aston.

Two smoke bombs were thrown on the pitch, Brighton were attacking and the ref didn't stop the game.

The ball went through the clouds of smoke from both bombs, Butcher didn't seem to see the ball until it was past him.

Not one Rover protested about the smoke. Just got on with the game, amazing really.

Great goal by Aston too.

I didn't go but the team was_

Butcher

Rathbone

Bailey

Fowler

Parkin

Fazackerly

Brotherston

Garner

Craig

Coughlin

Mckenzie

Aston came on for Garner.

Joe Craig !!! I always list him as one of the worst I've ever seen at Ewood, he was a bit better than Paul McKinnon !

Joe Craig !!! I always list him as one of the worst I've ever seen at Ewood, he was a bit better than Paul McKinnon !

John Aston wasnt that clever either, a great footballing CV with Man U but totally ineffective on the pitch along with John Radford.

Its on ITV Net Player for anyone that missed it.

Thanks for that had a look on the ITV player.

Been to the Goldstone ground myself but it wasn't as full as that.

Joe Craig was a big lumbering lump of an old fashioned centre forward blessed with no pace and limited ball control but an inordinate amount of ability to be almost in the right place at almost the right time, but not quite. He signed from Celtic for £35,000 (I think) where he had been a bit of a success and might even have won a Scottish cap or two in the days when playing for Scotland was a significant footballing achievement.

My favourite memory (?) was on a glorious sunny afternoon and a lofted ball being sweetly struck for Joe the lone forward to chase relieving a spell of pressure on our goal. Off set Joe running from inside our half (not offside for once- clever stuff) bearing down on goal. Two equally lumbering defenders set off after him but Joe had the lead heading for the Darwen End. The ball dropped perfectly hitting Joe on the back of the head (who knew nothing about it not having bothered to check its flight) and the chance was routinely cleared.

Archived