BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Rovers?

I had no football (soccer) experience, fan or otherwise, until 2 years ago when I was drafted in a desperation move to coach my daughter's U5 team. Read the rule book and started watching to see the game in action. Have since coached her U6 team and am coaching her U8 team this year also.

Enjoyed watching the Rovers as they appeared as a very workmanlike team. As they're based in the same geographical area as my distant ancestors, it seemed appropriate to cheer them on.

As an aside, how do I work the member map? It states access denied when I clicked to add my mark.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my first game was september 1965 my dad took me down at a tender age of 4,as you can imagine i wasnt exactly interested more of a fidgeter!,he then took me back down at 6 years of age where i got very interested in football,loved the old days,the old blackburn end was awesome!though we did go in the riverside more often then not.

even when i moved abroad on and off for the last 18 years,it asnt stopped me seeing brfc.i even went to nearly all the home games and 50% of the away games for 2 years on the run whilst i lived in holland.

came back to blighty last year for a short spell,lovely getting a season ticket again and ill be renewing it asap when the pack comes through the door.mind you the travelling will be limited once we move to canada in the next few years,unless they invent a cheap fighter jet to bring me here. :blush:

.............. and in 92 moved to pittsburgh, pennsylvania. 5 years there was followed by a move to texas................................................

I hope for the sake of your mental well being (if you care for the NFL) that those 5 years made you a Steelers supporter. ;)

I hope for the sake of your mental well being (if you care for the NFL) that those 5 years made you a Steelers supporter. wink.gif

haha

definitely. steelers were the first football team i ever even heard of, so they are definitely the only team i support.

haha

definitely. steelers were the first football team i ever even heard of, so they are definitely the only team i support.

Funny that, I lived in Pittsburgh between the ages 12 and 13 and still follow the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates...

I was an impreionable kid who supported Rovers when they won the league in 94 / 95, forgot about them as he grew up, but then rekindled his love for the club when they re-established themselves in the Premier League. Now, they're my heart and soul.

and someone who also celebrates burnley winning by punching the air. :rolleyes::rover:

funny enough, steelers are actually quite similar to rovers. pittsburgh is not that big of a city. it's one of the older ones. they have a reputation for being tough and not flashy. etc.

came from a steelers family myself... tough growing up in jerry rice land being the only stiller, but i just got my SB XLIII video in the mail so all is good.

and don't you hate aston villa, burnleys colors and browns owners... blahhhhh.

I watched American "soccer" back in the days of the old NASL. Old heroes were Karl Heinz Granitza and Pato Margetic. After the NASL and consequently the Chicago Sting folded, kind of drifted away from the sport (I didn't even see a live match in the 94 World Cup held here, ffs). I became a passionate supporter of the Republic of Ireland in the qualifiers for 2002 and Duffer was an absolute revelation. Of course I had to see more of him, hence became a follower of Rovers, a hardworking side from a Northern town and one of the game's historic clubs. For my money, you don't desert your boyhood club, and despite growing up in the suburban wastes of Chicagoland, I intend to stick with my "boyhood" side and not do the typical American thing of chasing Manure, Chelski, or whoever else is fashionable.

It was the 92-93 season when I started following the PL as a 10 year old.....and Rovers just appealed because:

1) I loved the kit!

2) Any team which can beat a league leader 7-1 is something (don't know whether it has happened anywhere else recently....)

So, my reasons are pretty similar to the guy from Papua New Guinea :)

My Grandad took me to Ewood in 1948. In those days the kids sat on a form over the wall at the side of the pitch. I took to it straight away and never looked back.

Dad took me in 1963 to see my first game - Rovers 7 Spurs 2. Probably sat on the same form?

You were lucky , best ever Rovers performance ( in my opinion) in your first game. You should have packed up after that.

Rovers were superb that day. Also a great team at that period. Dad followed Rovers all his life but never got to see them win a title. That's football I suppose.

Dad took me in 1963 to see my first game - Rovers 7 Spurs 2. Probably sat on the same form?

They where big benches in them days, the splinters in backs of the legs where a pain though, kept asking mum for long pants. "Pull your socks up lad, we're skint" was the reply, progressed to the big lads league in 64/65 stood on a wood stool behind the wall. Following season lost a front tooth against the wall behind the goals, when the Darwen end all crushed forward, wouldn't have minded so much if the bloody ball had gone in the net, Connelly burst into the box and shot wide, easy to remember when you bare the scars. :lol:

Archived