BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Rovers?

Born in one of the terraced houses separating ewood from bolton road, lived in ewood, grandma was steward in the ewood working mens club for loads of years, I lived in the shop that used to be further down nuttall street, think its just a house now....used to go from when I could walk.....up on the red fence at the front of the old bburn end, the coppers telling you get down when they come past....then I graduated to the singing section at the back circa Howard Gayle era..........etc...etc......

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was ashamedly a scum fan when i was a kid cause of my big bro supporting them and the fact that i wasn't old enough to know any better.

Got back into footy in about 2003ish and started supporting Rovers partly cause of me being born in Blackburn and also my stepdad being a fan

We were waiting in a pub in Cobh, County Cork after a big delay on a ferry to France in early 1994. I wasn't that into football until I was about 10 and was gradually getting interested. My father, as a Sheffield Wednesday fan, had one condition though - absolutely no Manchester United. So there we were in that pub and on the TV was Rovers' dismantling of the very same red scum. I was hooked.

I used to support Blackburn Olyimpic until December Dec 1884 when we played Blackburn Rovers in the FA cup at their new Leamington rd ground.They

beat us 3-2 and I was well impressed with their 60 ft Sony giant tv screen.I was only 10 years old easy to impress and simply swapped over from

Olyimpic.

My Dad still refuses to speak to me.

I wasn't that much of a football fan as a kid but I had a lot of Liverpool shirts because I loved King Kenny. When I heard he'd taken over as manager of Rovers I followed him, and made it "official" when Blackburn were the closest Premiership team to me geographically. Stuck with the Rovers ever since because once you're in your teens you absolutely cannot switch clubs. No regrets!

Born Norfolk Street, Mill Hill in 1967, born a Rover into a Rovers supporting family.

First game 4th birthday gift, blame Grandad (RIP). Taught me everything about Rovers. Always support your team, Always Love Blackburn Rovers and ALWAYS HATE BURNLEY.

Been going ever since and will do until the day I die.

I was born in the Blckburn End........ :brfcsmilie:

As an American one grows up not even knowing club football exists, especially during my formative years in the early nineties, so I really only followed the sport during the world cup, In 2002 I fell in love with the game and Big Bad Brad was massive in the Yanks run to the quarter-finals that year. When I tried to buy Brad's jersey I couldn't find the US version so I bought the Rovers one... Started watching the team and fell in love with how hard they played and was hooked ever since. Brad left for Villa but I could never leave.

Born Norfolk Street, Mill Hill in 1967, born a Rover into a Rovers supporting family.

First game 4th birthday gift, blame Grandad (RIP). Taught me everything about Rovers. Always support your team, Always Love Blackburn Rovers and ALWAYS HATE BURNLEY.

Been going ever since and will do until the day I die.

I was born in the Blckburn End........ :brfcsmilie:

kings rd 1967,mill hill...rovers family,grandad was on v bolton for biggest crowd.1st game i was 3 (or so i was told)

AL...I remember sitting with my legs over the wall watching in the blackburn end.

Born in Blackburn........so my team is Blackburn. It`s that simple.

My mum & all her family were born in & around Millhill & i remember tales of all the men meeting at my grans before walking to Ewood in the 50s & 60s.

My 1st game was in 79/80 season. Rovers vs Exeter in the 3rd Division.

kings rd 1967,mill hill...rovers family,grandad was on v bolton for biggest crowd.1st game i was 3 (or so i was told)

AL...I remember sitting with my legs over the wall watching in the blackburn end.

1963, Winterburn Rd off Heyes Lane. Then as a toddler right at the top of Fernhurst St.

Dad was a policeman who used to let me in where the police horses came in off Nuttall street, the corner where the 'enclosure' met the darwen end.

There was always a blue box of hot pies witha few left over and a cup of Bovril.

On cold nights the smell of coal fires on Nuttall street was quite magical, as me and my mates climbed over the gents in the Blackburn End and had a kickabout on the pitch.

Born & raised in Rishton & my dad was a Rovers fan as a boy so it was inevitable. Went through a phase supporting the Red Scum when I was about 8-12 (almost 30 yrs ago!) but saw the error of my ways & quite rightly hate them with a passion now. I couldnt imagine why anyone from Blackburn would want to support any other team these days.

Was playing in an under 7 team, and amazingly we had a blue and white half shirt, with white shorts and white socks. It was then either on tv or a picture in a paper, that i saw Rovers and thought it was our club. Ask my dad, and he says its not, its Blackburn Rovers. Asked him where they from, he said England and i said cool where in South Africa is that. Anyway i was only like 4 years old at the time.

I started following football back in the early 90's and Rovers in 92-93. I couldn't get to games back then but my first game was West Brom away in Division 1 and I've been going ever since. Season ticket holder since 2000.

Guest benmaxwell
I have to admit that I started following Rovers after they won the Premiership, however my excuse is that I was young (6) and impressionable!

God that makes me feel old!

I started supporting Rovers in the mid 70's as it seemed like a logicial decision at the time. Can't really give a reason... Kinda like falling in love with a girl you don't really know that well... It just kind of happened... :lol:

Only gratifying thing is a football club usually hangs around far longer then a girlfriend and is far less expensive as well!

Was born up Highercroft 1980, lived in a house on Bolton rd, went to st Bart's school as a proper youngster, went on my first game when I was 2, somehow remember debuts from Jason Wilcox, David may, Scott Sellars & remember when Colin Hendry played for us the first time (my dad always made a big deal of these things!!!) Tried switching allegience to a number of more successful clubs to annoy my dad, this lasted a few months, then realised where my love lives!!!

Getting my 3 year old daughter a season ticket next year, she loves it... I just hope in 25 years time she's saying the same as kind of thing I am now!!!

Rovers are in my blood... wouldn't matter which division, no matter what happens in the next 50 years, good or bad... I'll be there as long as I'm alive, because I have no choice, I love it... I love the Rovers!!!

Never really supported a team when I was younger, however, I did follow Norwich for some strange reason! When Chris Sutton left Norwich and signed for Rovers thats when I started supporting Blackburn, he was my favourite player & was gutted when he moved on to Chelsea. If I remember right when he signed for Rovers, Newcastle were after him. Lucky escape for me there then!!!

Got into football in 1992 as a 6 year old. Norwegian telly aired a lot of English games, and I also acquired a couple of football magazines that I read back to back about a trillion times. Almost all clubs, except the most famous ones (Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal) fascinated me a lot. In 1993 I had narrowed down my favourite teams to Blackburn, Nottingham Forest, Norwich and a couple of others. By the time of the 1994 World Cup, I had become a full blown football fanatic, and my Christmas wishlist that year was basically a list of various football kits. I got a Rovers kit, and decided that this was the only team that I could support from that point.

I've always had an irrational hatred for Burnley, even before I knew that they were Rovers' main rivals, so I guess it was just meant to be :lol:

I've always had an irrational hatred for Burnley, even before I knew that they were Rovers' main rivals, so I guess it was just meant to be :lol:

:lol: Thats amazing... born with that built in... it was obviously your destiny!!!

Was born in Manchester (Not sure why, Mum knew a doctor there so always took us there) but lived and brought up in/around Blackburn.

First game was apparently the Charity Shield when I was 3 vs Everton, or maybe even earlier.

Got a season ticket in 98 when I was 6. Went down first year, but have had one ever since.

My 12th season as a ST holder next year, not even 18 yet!

I was an impreionable kid who supported Rovers when they won the league in 94 / 95, forgot about them as he grew up, but then rekindled his love for the club when they re-established themselves in the Premier League. Now, they're my heart and soul.

For me, it was either Championship Manager 99/00 or 00/01. Pretty sure it was 99/00. I got the game in America and wanted a team in the Championship that I could take up to the Premier League and build. Rovers were the most likely candidates and thus became the team I played and here I am 10 years later still a supporter. So I guess the relegation was good for me as it led me toward Rovers rather than someone else.

parents lived their whole lives in blackburn. dad was a pastor at a local church. i was born in 86 and we moved to newcastle in 88 or somethin, and in 92 moved to pittsburgh, pennsylvania. 5 years there was followed by a move to texas, where we are now. of course the rovers love comes from my father, and it will be the same with my children. grandma still lives in blackburn, and every week Ronnie Clayton walks down her street and delivers her one of the programs from that weeks match, complete with player signatures etc. I was over there a few years ago, but could only get to a reserve game. only rovers game i've ever been to. someday...

Started following rovers in 92 when i first got interested in football. Everyone of my classmates seems to be a man u, liverpool, arsenal or spurs fan and i thought Rovers sounds nicer compared to the Uniteds. Also the blue and white halfs seems to contrast with everyone else jerseys which will all either 1 pain color or with stripes. Never looked back since then.

Archived