BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Rovers?

interesting debate i was having on my PS3 forum..

What made you choose to support Rovers?

mine was due to my Grandad, he took me to ewood in the 94/95 season when i was 4 and been mad about them ever since..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was an impressionable kid, looking for a club to support at the age of six, fully well knowing that all around me, people were enamored with Man Utd, Leeds or Liverpool.

Then, I caught a glimpse of this particular team in blue and white halves demolishing league leaders Norwich. Needless to say all began from then on!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...ch-1555297.html

I was an impressionable kid, looking for a club to support at the age of six, fully well knowing that all around me, people were enamored with Man Utd, Leeds or Liverpool.

Then, I caught a glimpse of this particular team in blue and white halves demolishing league leaders Norwich. Needless to say all began from then on!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...ch-1555297.html

I think Port Moresby is about the most exotic/remote location we have a supporter in.

Unless someone has a better offer...?

You should put your marker on the Members' Map (see top of the page).

As a kid, we used to get to the games for very cheap through school... My grandad also took me to a few each season... and my dad also took me to a few more.

I loved it, was hooked and was asking every week if we could go. My Grandad then asked if I wanted a season ticket, So of course I did. We got Season tickets for home & away for 2 seasons, and then from that point on iv had a home season ticket for about 16 years.

Love it - Proud to be Blue n White. Its in my heart, and my blood is blue n white too!!

As a kid, we used to get to the games for very cheap through school... My grandad also took me to a few each season... and my dad also took me to a few more.

I loved it, was hooked and was asking every week if we could go. My Grandad then asked if I wanted a season ticket, So of course I did. We got Season tickets for home & away for 2 seasons, and then from that point on iv had a home season ticket for about 16 years.

Love it - Proud to be Blue n White. Its in my heart, and my blood is blue n white too!!

I played a few games forthe B team in the 60s and we played up at Pleasington in the Mornings, living in Colne, we then went to watch the first team in the afternoon if they were home (free of course) it went on from there, carried on supporting, despite the 'Dont call us we'll call you' after my trials :(

Even though I was brought up in Blackburn I was never taken to any games and the only time I heard about Blackburn was on the radio so never really took an interest in Football never mind Rovers (remember I am 29 now). I then moved away from Blackburn and Italia 90 hit and it was actually watching Gazza that started me watching football. I tried to watch Spurs just to watch Gazza but again the football wasn't on the telly all that much so I started following the team where I came from and its stuck.

Its quite expensive to get to games for me so I only make about 3 a year now.

My first game was in 1976, a night match against Brian Clough's Forest side, I was 9 and it was in 1976. My aunt then took me to Bill Eckersley's house on Bolton Road prior to each home match. Bill was a full back for Rovers and an England international in the 50's. His front room was full of memorabilia from his playing days. We would then go to the players tunnel to catch the opposition coach arriving so that I could do some autograph hunting, before standing in the Nuttall St. Enclosure right behind the opposition dugout. I loved every minute of it. Also in those early years, Burnley,Preston, Blackpool, Oldham and Bolton where all in the same division and at Xmas my Dad would take me to all the derbies home and away. With this intro I couldnt fail but be hooked on the Rovers, and I still am...

My Grandad took me to Ewood in 1948. In those days the kids sat on a form over the wall at the side of the pitch. I took to it straight away and never looked back.

• Backroom

I've lived in Ipswich almost my entire life, but had a couple of uncles from Blackburn. They took me to a few matches when I was a youngun (92/93 season) and been a fan ever since. There was the odd jibe of 'glory hunter' at school around 94/95, but they disappeared as I continued to support Rovers even in their decline and eventual relegation. Couldn't imagine supporting anyone else now.

My parents dont support anyone (We owned a pub so they stayed neutral to stop locals having a go) but for my birthday every year they would take me to a game my 1st was againt southampton and Le Tiser scored a screamer and since that day have wanted to go more and more, finally got a monday to friday job (instead of shift work) and got my season ticket last year was so happy. :)

I was born and bred in Clitheroe and my dad's mate gave me a 1960 cup final programme in 1968.

Then my dad took me to my first match on a coach from Clitheroe - Ronnie Clayton's testimonial, Rovers versus an England 11. It was a freezing Wednesday night, but I'll never forget the awesome sight of the floodlights as I walked up the Riverside steps. After that, I was hooked!!

Oh, I think the England 11 won 7-5!!

My Grandad took me to Ewood in 1948. In those days the kids sat on a form over the wall at the side of the pitch. I took to it straight away and never looked back.

I can see that looking back would have been a fundamental flaw in that seating arrangement...

;)

Wasn't really in to football much before Rovers came and did a training week for kids in our town (Barrow-in-Furness), which my parents sent me on. I think I was about 8 at the time. On the Friday they took us to the ground (for some reason they even took us in the Dingledome!) for a guided tour. Came back with loads of Rovers merchandise from the club store, there was never going to be another club after that. A few of my mates are Rovers fans for the same reason too.

My Dad was born and raised in Blackburn and moved to Rossendale before I was born in 1970.

I went to my first match in 1974 and that was it I was hooked on Rovers despite going to watch other teams as well.As a kid my Dad couldn`t drive but he had a City supporting mate who did so we used to watch a few City games too when Rovers weren`t at home.We also took in a few local games too watching the likes of Bury,Rochdale etc. but Rovers was my first and only love and i`m looking forward to the next 34 years of watching them.

interesting debate i was having on my PS3 forum..

What made you choose to support Rovers?

mine was due to my Grandad, he took me to ewood in the 94/95 season when i was 4 and been mad about them ever since..

Ditto here. Although I only followed them for the sake of it. I never had any REAL interest. When the club was relegated in 1999, I chanced upon a meeting with Matt Jansen and had enormous fun chatting to him. I had never really understood football, nor the rules of the game until then. From Jansen, I had the impression they were playing football to enjoy it. They just happened to have big wages. Since it was my local team, I followed the results, then became more passionate. What tipped me over the edge to a die-hard, was the signing of Tugay, whom a mate described as world-class (and boy didnt he prove it?).

Tugay is why I follow the Rovers and you can understand, perhaps, why his retirement upset me more than most (I cried a LOT). To me, he WAS the rovers. He was the reason I followed them so passionately, and continue to do so.

I now love the club with a passion (I'm 18 btw). In my car, I have a rovers air freshener, last years window kits and this years away window kit, blue covering on the steering wheel, rovers car mats etc etc. I even have a panoramic view of Ewood as the wall paper in my Game-room!! Yes, I'm a complete saddo, but I dont care.

Why not, Stanley had just been kicked out of the league, I was at the age when all we did was kick a ball in the school yards, on the streets after school, play in the parks after tea, of course we always played as Rovers V Burnley, all of us adopted our dream players name for the game, could only use his name though if you played in his position, used to get really pigged off if you where picked for the dingles, usually went home sulking. I always played on the left wing as did my Accy hero, who had joined Rovers the season before, only one place to go, been a Rover ever since. :rover:

COYB.

I was born in Blackburn so I had no choice when it came to supporting my home town club.

I was taken to my first matches in 1976 - two home games in a row over a holiday weekend.

We beat Carlise Utd 4-1 and a few days later beat York City 1-0. I was hooked from then onwards.

although i'm a brummie, my dad took me to see his home town team in 89 (i was 9). we spent alot of time visiting my grandma and grandad in longshaw, they too never stopped banging on about rovers... kept going to see the 'nearly men', later jack arrived and turned all things rosey, we kept going, rovers went down, and we kept going... they came back up, we kept going.... you get the picture :rover:

Am pretty sure it was '92, maybe end of the 91/92 season, I remember the news on TV about Jack Walker taking over and Dalgleish coming in as Manager - I was just finishing off school and starting to hit the local pubs etc, hadn't really followed football all that much till then...

Guess the profile of the club was greatly raised by the 92/93 season, and I was starting to pay attention to the footy shows so was getting into it more and more - and I didn't want to glory hunt with the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd - plus I really enjoyed seeing the team play so that sealed it...

And they put a bucketload past Notts Forest on a couple of occasions (my Mums team till she shifted to the Arse) which gave me some gloat ammo!

Sadly still never quite made it to a game, I was coming up last season but various things got in the way - speaking of getting in the way we are expecting our second child in a few weeks, so I'm ever hopeful that I'll get up there in 2010

Oh, and I like the kit too ;-)

Archived