BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Many Mosques In Blackburn?

I had an interesting conversation with a lady today, who asked me "how many mosques i think there are in Blackburn?" :huh:

I said 15-20.....no

25.......no

35.......no

The lady told me that there are 1500 'registered' mosques in Blackburn.

I told her i thought it was rubbish, but she went on to tell me that Blackburn with Darwen Council have 1500 registered mosques within the borough. (she said this is from a council source)

"There`s obviously a catch?" i asked.

"yes there is" replied the woman "if you convert a room into a prayer room, you can register it as a mini mosque......thus enabling you to claim council tax reduction on the property". She says a lot of the properties pay nearly zero council tax because of this loop-hole.

So......

1...Does anybody know if this is true?

2...if so, can any religion convert a room?

3...how easy is it to claim a council tax reduction for this? :huh:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that explains the much maligned multi-faith prayer room thing at Ewood Park. I wonder if there is the same tax break if you have a room as a chapel, mini-synagogue and so on? However, is this not discrimination against athiests? What would they have? A study I guess, or an extra empty room.

A building has to be formally registered as a place of worship in order to get any kind of exemption or reduction. the building must also be primarily used for religious worship. Has to go through the Registrar General and then the Valuations Office.

No idea on the figures, but suspect them to be wildly exaggerated - information could probably be obtained under Freedom of Information Act.

So that explains the much maligned multi-faith prayer room thing at Ewood Park. I wonder if there is the same tax break if you have a room as a chapel, mini-synagogue and so on? However, is this not discrimination against athiests? What would they have? A study I guess, or an extra empty room.

I wonder if i could register the Tugay shrine in my back bedroom?

Guest Kamy100

I will ask the council and see what they say, I think that they also have to register with the Lancashire Council Of Mosques so will ask them as well,

I doubt that there are 1500 registered mosques in Blackburn.

So how long before this thread is closed then, any bet's on who is gonna start the argument's :lol:

Don't know but I'm waiting for the usual suspects to weigh in with the usual arguments followed up by frenzied bouts of grammatical correcting and "being clever" just before it descends into personal abuse and the Mods shut the thread or ban a couple of members for a while whereupon we enter into a thread around freedom of speech which no doubt will also then be dragged into another attempt to reopen the subject of race, religion, cultural differentiation or all three as part of the pursuit of freedom of speech and not expression of intolerance in any way, shape or form.

I actually wonder whether this aspect of an otherwise healthy MB puts new and/or existing members off participating thereby making the MB more introspective

Look forward to being proved wrong, but ..............................

Here you go drummer. I make no comment to suit your opinion except that I do think this list needs updating as more have sprung up recently and also rem this is only those actually affiliated to the LCoM........

http://www.lancashiremosques.com/mosque_directory.asp

btw This is a must!....... Make sure that you check other Lanky towns for comparison to see the reason for the issues that many of the residents of Blackburn have. It provides an overwhelming and shocking experience and for all the wrong reasons.

I had an interesting conversation with a lady today, who asked me "how many mosques i think there are in Blackburn?" :huh:

I said 15-20.....no

25.......no

35.......no

The lady told me that there are 1500 'registered' mosques in Blackburn.

I told her i thought it was rubbish, but she went on to tell me that Blackburn with Darwen Council have 1500 registered mosques within the borough. (she said this is from a council source)

"There`s obviously a catch?" i asked.

"yes there is" replied the woman "if you convert a room into a prayer room, you can register it as a mini mosque......thus enabling you to claim council tax reduction on the property". She says a lot of the properties pay nearly zero council tax because of this loop-hole.

So......

1...Does anybody know if this is true?

2...if so, can any religion convert a room?

3...how easy is it to claim a council tax reduction for this? :huh:

Completely untrue, there maybe some extra houses converted into madrases(spelling) were a house is converted into a prayer room and muslim teachings are permitted but no one is allowed to live on these premises - there might be around 40 plus of such places of prayer and worship .

The lady is misinformed.

Here you go drummer. I make no comment to suit your opinion except that I do think this list needs updating as more have sprung up recently and also rem this is only those actually affiliated to the LCoM........

http://www.lancashiremosques.com/mosque_directory.asp

btw This is a must!....... Make sure that you check other Lanky towns for comparison to see the reason for the issues that many of the residents of Blackburn have. It provides an overwhelming and shocking experience and for all the wrong reasons.

Ahh, here he is.

Ahh, here he is.

Ahh, here he is yourself. <_<

Whats up dgs? Do you think I made that web site up? I suggest that you contact the LCM yourself for an accurate and current update rather than sniping with pointless and immature little insinuations.

In the meantime either don't shoot the messenger please just cos you have nothing of value to bring to the debate, or keep your head where it is.

So how long before this thread is closed then, any bet's on who is gonna start the argument's :lol:

The issue is not about the spread of Islam as about the council tax situation graeme.

Ive never been in a mosque in my life been inside many a Roman catholic church, many a Church of England church yet never a mosque and here in Blackburn we are rich with so many.

Maybe more of us should enter a mosque then any barriers would be broken down and acceptance of anothers faith would be that little bit easier to accept and sit comfortably with.

Ive never been in a mosque in my life been inside many a Roman catholic church, many a Church of England church yet never a mosque and here in Blackburn we are rich with so many.

Maybe more of us should enter a mosque then any barriers would be broken down and acceptance of anothers faith would be that little bit easier to accept and sit comfortably with.

You can go in if you want, just ask nicely and obey their rules and traditions.

• 3 weeks later...

and life could become like this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8147329.stm

Come on Yoda !

Your poluting the small minded with that kind of insinuation.

theres' a lot of it about, as with flopsy's post

all because of extreme outdated religous views

Archived