BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Most Expensive Signings

I've just been trying to think of the biggest fees Rovers have paid out for players.

And, off the top of my head I can think of Chris Sutton at 5 million. And this figure was surpassed only by three players, Kevin Davies, Ciccio Grabbi and Andy Cole.

So, am I right in saying:-

1)Cole

2)Grabbi

3)Davies

4)Sutton

Correct me if I'm wrong. Were there any others?

I've just been trying to think of the biggest fees Rovers have paid out for players.

And, off the top of my head I can think of Chris Sutton at 5 million. And this figure was surpassed only by three players, Kevin Davies, Ciccio Grabbi and Andy Cole.

So, am I right in saying:-

1)Cole

2)Grabbi

3)Davies

4)Sutton

Correct me if I'm wrong. Were there any others?

Bargain of the century Christian Dailly at somewhere above the 5 million mark :o

our top 10 most expensive sales is what i'd like to see as a comparison, guess roque would be joint number 1 with duff ahead of bentley then shearer and i'd guess sutton.

1......roque 17m

T1....duff 17m

3......bentley 16m

4.......shearer 15m

5......sutton 10m

6......??????

forgetting any sell on fees there was a staggering 60m profit made on that top 5 which kind of emphasises how important resale value is to us.

our top 10 most expensive sales is what i'd like to see as a comparison, guess roque would be joint number 1 with duff ahead of bentley then shearer and i'd guess sutton.

1......roque 17m

T1....duff 17m

3......bentley 16m

4.......shearer 15m

5......sutton 10m

6......??????

forgetting any sell on fees there was a staggering 60m profit made on that top 5 which kind of emphasises how important resale value is to us.

Add to that list

Dunn 5.5 m

Le saux 5m

Hendry 5m

Berg 5m

Fergie 5m

Brian Kidd made the 'astute' purchases of

Nathan Blake - £4.25m

Christian Dailly - £5.35m

Jason McAteer - £4m

Sebastian Perez - £3m

Keith Gillespie - £2.3m

Lee Carsley - £3.4m

Then got us relegated. What a tube!

Brian Kidd made the 'astute' purchases of

Nathan Blake - £4.25m

Christian Dailly - £5.35m

Jason McAteer - £4m

Sebastian Perez - £3m

Keith Gillespie - £2.3m

Lee Carsley - £3.4m

Then got us relegated. What a tube!

Roy Hodgson signed the highlighted, not Kiddo.

There was an arguement in the David Bentley thread when he left, that he was our most expensive player. We paid £3.5 million (I think) for his initial services, and then once we sold him we paid Arsenal a further £6-7 million for the sell on clause, which totals up to around £10million mark.

1......roque 17m

T1....duff 17m

3......bentley 16m

4.......shearer 15m

5......sutton 10m

6......??????

Indeed. It's fine to buy older players for small fees and free transfers, but you just cannot justify massive outlays when they'll certainly be gone for nothing, or a small fee, within a couple of years.

You only have to look at the likes of Roque at £17m, Duff at £17m, Bentley at £15m (Arsenal benefitting twice from sales) and Dunn at £5.5m to see the benefits of having players in the squad who will earn you future revenue. Take the first three away for a start and that's nearly £50m the club might otherwise be down on.

Ferguson is a really good example. We paid big bucks for him but he got injured and was eventually a failure. However, he recovered and we managed to recoup a large amount of the funds we paid out. If Davies weren't to succeed - for whatever reason - then that money is gone and we won't be getting any of it back.

I'm not saying that it's the be all and end all but it is, or at least should be, a big consideration for our club.

i seem to remember someone working out that Bentley was our most expensive signing when as well as the initial signing on fee, you included the sell on clause which was also paid out to Arsenal when he left us. A quite unconventional way of working it out, but it seemed to add up.

Archived