BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Long And Thin And The Goals Go In?

Apologies if this has been mentioned. I sit in the front row of JWU, and couldn't help but notice that the pitch width seemed to have been reduced with the old lines about a foot or two wider than the new. Could be just me, but I wondered if this were to capitalise on the MGP throws or to give him and others a better corner run in. To add, our set pieces looked very rehearsed and clinical on Saturday - in a good way.

Anyone else notice this?

Apologies if this has been mentioned. I sit in the front row of JWU, and couldn't help but notice that the pitch width seemed to have been reduced with the old lines about a foot or two wider than the new. Could be just me, but I wondered if this were to capitalise on the MGP throws or to give him and others a better corner run in. To add, our set pieces looked very rehearsed and clinical on Saturday - in a good way.

Anyone else notice this?

Good spot. I noticed players taking corners no longer had to run up a 45 degree incline to get to the ball which was seriously putting Diouf off last season.

Reduced width also gives the likes of Arsenal less space to spread it wide and run riot like they did last season. Not that it will stop them going off Saturday evening's evidence at Goodison!

To add, our set pieces looked very rehearsed and clinical on Saturday - in a good way.

Anyone else notice this?

The corners certainly weren't. The one where Diouf rolled it along the area and they broke clear was especially bad.

Good spot. I noticed players taking corners no longer had to run up a 45 degree incline to get to the ball which was seriously putting Diouf off last season.

Reduced width also gives the likes of Arsenal less space to spread it wide and run riot like they did last season. Not that it will stop them going off Saturday evening's evidence at Goodison!

There set dimensions that are influenced by the competition you are in each season IE european football.

Running up a hill to strike a corner is just not the same as where they practice so could be a factor in our poor set-pieces to date. But in the same vein if your going to be playing a lot of your attacks down the flanks I would have thought width and advantage?? Perhaps the way we're playing at present is just temporay till others get fit?

Correct me if I am wrong here, but Arsenals pitch is narrower than most!!

There set dimensions that are influenced by the competition you are in each season IE european football.

Running up a hill to strike a corner is just not the same as where they practice so could be a factor in our poor set-pieces to date. But in the same vein if your going to be playing a lot of your attacks down the flanks I would have thought width and advantage?? Perhaps the way we're playing at present is just temporay till others get fit?

Or is it to give an extra few yards for the long throws???

I noticed that too but I'm not sure where the 'old lines' came from because when I went into the ground in the close season the whole pitch had been dug over therefore eliminating last season's lines. My impression was that the pitch had been moved over a foot or so towards the riverside. Did anyone over that side notice any difference?

I noticed that too but I'm not sure where the 'old lines' came from because when I went into the ground in the close season the whole pitch had been dug over therefore eliminating last season's lines. My impression was that the pitch had been moved over a foot or so towards the riverside. Did anyone over that side notice any difference?

No but I'll be looking at the next game.

Good spot, Jackson. Does sound like a tactic Sam might use - playing to the teams strengths.

Let's just hope Delap is injured again when it comes to the Ewood match! :P

EDIT: "unavailable" is probably less harsh!

The reason Diouf rolled it along the area was because Andrews came running in asking for the ball but never got to it. :rolleyes:

Andrews did not move to the ball but committed the amateurish mistake in such situations of waiting for the ball to come to him. Credit too the opposing player for spotting the danger and intercepting the pass.

Archived