BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] South Africa Vs England

I know its still early, but the 1st T20 starts on 13th November. Tests start in December, followed by more 1 day cricket. How will England do in another big test series for them. How will Smith and SA react, to being humiliated on their own home ground in the champions trophy. Im looking forward to this, mainly the test matches to see if England can win the series. Im also interested to know, if there are any fellow Rovers fans who will be coming to SA for the series. I know Ste will be here, so looking Forward to meeting up with him for the Newlands test match.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Strauss and the rest of England want the number 1 spot then they need to win this otherwise the momentum from the Ashes is gone, if not already from being hammered in the ODI's.

Emotion, decisons and home ground advantage won them the Ashes, are they really as good as they say or think they are?

If Strauss and the rest of England want the number 1 spot then they need to win this otherwise the momentum from the Ashes is gone, if not already from being hammered in the ODI's.

Emotion, decisons and home ground advantage won them the Ashes, are they really as good as they say or think they are?

Hi Neekoy, I have not heard many England fans say we are the greatest side in the world; far from it. I think most reaction to the Ashes was: glad we won, the series was very even- but can't believe an average England side beat Australia. I understand Austrilaian hate losing to the English in any sport the feeling is mutual.

But from what I can see it is going to be years before Australia can even begin to appraoch the dominanace they have held over a 15 year period. The seam bowling looks solid ( if not spectacular) you dont have a spin option and your test batting line-up will be weakened further by retirements over the next 18 months. That is unless Hughes develops the ability to play the short-ball?

As for England I expect them to lose a close series against the Saffers perhaps 2-1. There seam attack is very imposing and their batting is strong.

Au contraire, my convict friend, England won the Ashes because they had more grit and determination and played better than HMP Australia in the key sessions.

I doubt if anyone has claimed that this is a particularly good England team so please provide evidence to back up your statement.

What can be said is that although this is not a particularly good England team it was good enough to beat Australia.

As usual, Jim talks arse

The reason we won is that we mastered the conditions when we needed to, more often than the Aussies did.

At Lords, The Oval and Edgbaston, Oz collapsed because they couldnt cope with the swinging ball. Whereas we collapsed once, at Headingly.

Playing no Spinner at the Oval was hubris at its highest, as was playing Watson, who is so not a test player, either batsmen, bowler or fieldsman. (He is however an excelent ODI player.)

England got lucky with the weather when we needed it, both at Lords and for Broad's 5 fer at the Oval, and we also had tailenders who didnt know that they werent supposed to be able to bat.

As for Collingwood living on past glories, well how many centuries has england scored since 05? And guess who one of the main batsmen is in scoring them?

As for South Africa. Well there pace attack is good, as is their batsmen, but Australia beat them in South Africa, so I dont think they'll have it all their own way, just most of it.

Key for England is getting their selection right. KP needs to get mentally, a bit more tougher. I think it will end in a drawn series, 1-1. South Africa will probably win the Newlands test, but the pitch in Cape Town should really play into Englands hands.

Hi Neekoy, I have not heard many England fans say we are the greatest side in the world; far from it.

Hi Bazza, no I udnerstadn that and Strauss has said it himself, but they are targetting the number one spot, my point was simply they need to win this to have any chance of reaching their goals.

Beating Australia was as step in the right direction but what is forgotten too easily, and even by SA who didn't fully understand what it takes to be number 1 in both forms of the game, is that you eventually need to be able to win consistently everwhere, at home and abroad.

Got our match tickets today. 24 quid for the Durban test, and about 50 for Capetown. Obviously the official "Barmy Army" ticket packages are put together by Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, as they wanted 50 for Durban and 180 for Capetown.

Got our match tickets today. 24 quid for the Durban test, and about 50 for Capetown. Obviously the official "Barmy Army" ticket packages are put together by Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, as they wanted 50 for Durban and 180 for Capetown.

Will catch up with you guys at the Newlands match, but probably only the Saturday due to work commitments. Do you know where you guys will be sitting?

Is that 50 quid for the full 5 days Ste?

Will catch up with you guys at the Newlands match, but probably only the Saturday due to work commitments. Do you know where you guys will be sitting?

Is that 50 quid for the full 5 days Ste?

North Stand. Only got first 3 days.

• 4 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8356391.stm Ashes back on terrestrial Tv soon.

To the topic at hand though, I do have a slight fear that we'll stick with Collingwood and drop Trot if and when KP comes back. Collingwood is pretty much finiahed at this level whereas Trott, who is a similar gritty batsman seemed to be just what we need in the middle order if his debut is anything to go by.

Anyone recognise this current England batting line up ?

What a start to the tour. England (unrecogniseable) have just plundered 202 runs in 20 overs leaving SA to become only the second team to top 200 to win a T20 game at The wanderers.

Fantastic effort by BOTH teams entertinment in full on the batting front.

Bowling leaves a lot to be desired !

At this moment, Mr Rain is stopping the game with England currently just ahead on D/L.

Anyone recognise this current England batting line up ?

What a start to the tour. England (unrecogniseable) have just plundered 202 runs in 20 overs leaving SA to become only the second team to top 200 to win a T20 game at The wanderers.

Fantastic effort by BOTH teams entertinment in full on the batting front.

Bowling leaves a lot to be desired !

At this moment, Mr Rain is stopping the game with England currently just ahead on D/L.

Seems England have finally figured out that 20/20 sides, and hopefully after this the 50 over side, need players who can force the issue and hit boundaries. Now only two good bowlers short of being able to really compete. Swann's lack of turn makes him pointless in this version for me. Anyone willing to come down the track will have a field day against him and one more good fast bowler is needed, but at least there we have a few good candidates.

Nice one Collingwood, great day in the field, with the ball, a great ton and Englands most capped player, plus if he scores 300? more runs then he'll be the all time run scorer as well.

South Africa looked very very flat and the sooner you can get Parnell back, the better

I have now watched the England innings and am thinking that we have shown some real fighting spirit in the game.

1-0 up 3 to go. SA appear to have some injury issues. No doubt they will come out fighting for the 3rd game, we expect that but if England can get the win then they can be beaten in this series which will no doubt put SA under massive pressure in the test series.

Archived