BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup Q/Final Draw 12Pm Sat Sky Sports!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

In honesty it doesn't matter at this stage who we get, if we are to win it we have to beat the best in it, also we'd stand a much better chance of beating United/Chelsea/Arsenal over one leg than over two in the semi's.

Either way this seasons Carling Cup has been a success for us, its given the fringe players some game time and provided the first goals at the club for Hoilett, Kalinic and Salgado as well as being a vessel for Reid getting some football.

I'm not looking at Portsmouth and thinking they will be a comfortable passage through to the semis, as I do believe their position in the league is slightly false. They have recorded only 4 points from 10 games as everyone knows, but it is the performances which they have been producing which will still give Paul Hart hope that his side will turn the corner. The result at home to Stoke in midweek was overdue and I am not in the slightest bit surprised that it was Pompey and not the visitors who progressed to the next round. Yes the four goal margin was slightly surprising, but Pompey have been threatening that for weeks hence if we are drawn against Pompey tomorrow we certainly can't take them lightly.

Nevertheless, a home draw against Pompey is surely the best tie for Rovers and the one which I will be hoping for tomorrow noon. The other teams who we could be paired against are frightening and hence I hope we avoid them and save ourselves what could be another thrashing.

Pompey are the obvious choice but I'd be happy with a home draw, we have to play one of the bigger sides eventually. Something like Villa at home would be good, hopefully with Pompey then drawing Spuds perhaps and causing an upset so we can play them in the semi's over 2 legs which I'd be confident in winning. Then it's on to Wembley!

Think we'd struggle over 2 legs against any of the other sides bar Pompey.

Please, please, PLEASE Pompey at home!

I really wouldn't fancy City because this is one of two trophies they would realistically think they could win. As such, they will field a very strong side. Otherwise, it would depend on what sort of sides would be fielded by the likes of Arsenal, United, Chelsea. With Wenger promising 'a trophy', I think it's clear that he is taking the competition more seriously than in previous years. I'd imagine United and Chelsea would field slightly weakened sides, so would probably prefer one of them.

Meanwhile, this is Spurs and Villa's main hope of a trophy and they will both be determined to do well.

Frankly, I don't fancy our chances against anybody but Portsmouth, but fingers crossed, eh?

Archived