BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tales Of Hooliganism, Books And Films. Discuss

brfcs5359

For the last few years flying out of the country I have been met with an ever growing stack of prominently placed hooligan books at airport bookstores. One for each club it would almost appear displayed on large POS shelves right at the entrance. Is the average flyer someone whom this genre appeals to? 40 year old blokes settled down but seeking some fantasy adrenaline rush?

I must confess I shudder at the number of them, the in your face display and the genre itself. Curiosity gets to me occasionally and I flick through the pile. Is there some ludicrous Rovers one? Who are these people? Photos of packs of skinheads shot outside pubs or against a backdrop of urban dereliction, old brick walls and rusting metal work. Straight away I think that the authors and publishers pictorially are trying to glamorise violence. Or maybe it's a last payday for a scoundrel and a few mates for have little role in society. The alter ego or schizophrenic juxta position to breakthrough football narrative of Nick Hornby.

All these books read the same. West Ham, Millwall, the usual away day reference points. The names of The characters blur into one another, mad dog, slasher, the guvnor like a poor mans gangster novel of illicit power driven on a rush of fear. All the books seem the same. They start with me and my mates right.... Being hard means respect to one or two other firms whilst carrying on the testosterone script of coming out top dog. Pre arranged fights, violence with no victims. I wonder how all this one done in the days of paid telephone kiosks?

I went to football on the 70s and 80s and it was real. The violence. Not like you read in these character filled books. Some of these people I think to myself would be broken within a week of military service. Football thuggery revolved around cowardice amongst many things. Random individuals who collectively became embroiled because they were at that place at that time. We always avoided trouble. It was easy if you wanted to avoid it. Just be careful.

I went to watch England across Europe when the violence was at it's peak. Most of the scroats wrecking Englands good name were drunken louts. People who got caught up in the adrenaline rush. I must confess to coming home and not talking England but talking about the violence like some junkie war correspondent, an attendee of the tabloid hooligan headline-fest. When I was 13 we had a scary time away at Notts County in the cup. About 50 derby hooligans got on our carriage. One of them said, leave them alone they're only kids. Just ruined going to football for me. And I remember the only time we were the victims, Carlisle away.

These books are sadistic in their glorification though they all carry moral disclaimers of mutual acceptance of violence, or I know it's wrong now or I have grown up or it's a historic right of passage for young men, a birthright or some other feeble excuse.

More recently the genre has stepped onto the big screen where it has been glamorised somewhat. Green Street 1 & 2, Cas, Awaydays. I know there were tv dramas, The Firm before? Having sat through them, and I am not for sensorship, I find them worrying. No more so that horror flicks like Saw though.

Should I even watch these (I do not buy the books)? I am encouraging the game I love to be consumed by a dark, unwelcome and uneccesssary past? Hooliganism has gone away. The odd fist fight or the Millwall West Ham standoff is small fry to what went on then. More recently we have had Danny Dyers trip down hooligan memory lane, glamorised violence and celebrity once again attached to the beautiful game.

Even at Rovers we have one or two idiots who thrive on this perceived acceptability of hooliganism like some medal of combat deserving of respect, fear if not bar room accolade.

Would welcome comments on this.

I think you'll always get isolated incidents at football games because of the nature of the game and the type of people who watch them, or class of people.

When I was a young lad, I, got caught up with an incident with Millwall fans at Ewood. Must have been early eighties, as the second division game was being played, late into the second half, a group of us hid round the corner of the terraced houses that ran behind Kidder street which was directly behind the old Blackburn end and Nuttal street.

In those days there was TWO main exits from the Blackburn end, one opened up onto Nuttal street and the other opened up onto Kidder street. The Millwall fans came to the exit of the Nuttall street goading Rovers fans at the top of the terraces to their suprise a group of us about thirty strong came from the other exit hence the Millwall fan at the front received a true Blackburn meet and greet. A couple of bobbies intervened along with support form the horses and the Millwall lads returned to the Darwen end.

The suprise when we popped out from nowhere was a treat, they just didnt expect us.

Wells a name, was an absolute footy hooligan, shamed now, but in them days the late 70's 80's and 90's was a legend.

What it shows is the publishers and booksellers will do anything for money. Yet they turn a blind eye to the fact these criminals killed innocent people, along with their own kind. Having been a victim myself of hooliganism, while watching Rovers, it's up to us as fans to keep it from returning. It nearly destroyed the game last time and could do again.

I have read quite a few books on this subject.

One lad, unnamed and from Sheffield United, stated inhis book that the hardest place he has ever battled was at Blackburn !!!

For me, the hooligan element are scum, Best thing about them is their backs as they run off when confronted :blink:

Nowadays, hooligans stand in groups opposite each other, with the customary layer of police in between them to make sure that nothing actually happens. One group will pretend to charge, fully aware the police will just push them back, whilst also looking 'hard'. The odd object may be thrown, people will stand with their arms out, and then run home and comment on youtube hooligan videos saying how the other 'mob' ran away.

Last year managed to pick up a copy of Tass Force from a car boot..The spoof comedy story of Tass McDermott who goes underground to become a Blackburn Rovers football hooligan in order to nab Blackburns ring leader...Its mostly filmed in Blackburn as well...Think you can download now from the net...

For the last few years flying out of the country I have been met with an ever growing stack of prominently placed hooligan books at airport bookstores.

Whilst you were looking for the Daily Mail..?

Some of these types of books are alright, obviously someone thinks so or there wouldn't be films knocking about making millions. I recommend Boys From The Mersey by Nicky Allt for any football fan. It's not all mobs and riots, this guy and his mates followed Liverpool all over Europe through the club's success in the 70's and 80's with only their dole money. Witty banter throughout and thought provoking and reflective while talking about the Heysel and Hillsbrough tragedies.

Last year managed to pick up a copy of Tass Force from a car boot..The spoof comedy story of Tass McDermott who goes underground to become a Blackburn Rovers football hooligan in order to nab Blackburns ring leader...Its mostly filmed in Blackburn as well...Think you can download now from the net...

I've got it... not really watched it though!

And Ohmi, of course :lol:

The Red Army one by Tony O'Neill (I think) is good... I've also read a bit of the Burnley SS one, what a joke. Never read so much rubbish in my life.

I have read quite a few books on this subject.

One lad, unnamed and from Sheffield United, stated inhis book that the hardest place he has ever battled was at Blackburn !!!

For me, the hooligan element are scum, Best thing about them is their backs as they run off when confronted :blink:

I was going to say that the only one I have read some of was that Sheffield United book which was left in a hostel I was staying at in Australia. I gave up it was so boring as although it was an honest account, it was very repetitive and uninteresting. Even had a foreword from that bloke from the Beautiful South trying to justify the actions of this cretin by making out that the actions of football chairmen were far worse than hooligans.

Why is everyone glorifying football hooliganism on this thread?

I expect the avalanche of denials but it really seems so to me.

1864's account of the Sheff Utd supporter saying Blackburn was the hardest town he visited surely must stir up glory and pride and produce new local hooligans to live up to that reputation.

the Daily Mail telling me how bad it is now or some 40 odd year old scruff telling me how bad it was then.

I remember glorifying it then because it was so newsworthy. Not deliberatly or wantonly. Just glad there isn't a Rovers hooligan book. Flying out of Manchester Monday evening so I'll pass by the bookstore though with all the checks you don't get as much time as you once did to browse.

Archived