BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where Are The Next Rover'S Legends?

Ok, so this is something that I've been thinking about for quite a while, and often indirectly comes up. It reared its head again yesterday on the Megson sacked thread, when it was discussed how near to legendary status the likes of Emerton and Flitty were. Whilst there was some debate as to how good they actually were the general gist was:

- they've given the club good service

- they were here a suprisingly long time in footballing terms

- but they lacked that top quality, or character/affiliation with the club to be considered proper legends.

To this I'd add the possible other criteria of a legend (not necessary but helps) of being part of a successful team, i.e. one that wins things.

This got me re-thinking given this type of criteria will Rovers, or any club outside the top 6 of the premiership, ever actually have more legends at the club?

For starters, as much of the legendary status is based on quality having lots of talent and being the star of the team, they're unlikely to stick around at rovers, or any club our size or smaller, for long. A bigger club will be interested and buy them. And as every club outside of the top 6/7 is a selling club, that means a player of quality is not going to stick it out at these clubs for very long.

A good example of this, is Bellamy. I thought the guy was absolute class and he did a great job for us. Thing is after one season he was gone. Given that the other element of being a legend is doing a decent stint with a club, much of the top quality talent we have will be gone before this decent stint is done, thus preventing them from getting legendary status. I doubt in todays market, Duff and Jansen would've stayed with rovers long enough to be admired as they are.

The success element is equally depressing. Money talks so the chances of Rovers winning things are less than they were 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago. That's one of the reasons this league cup semi is so important. Given that success can make players legendary for the part they play in that success - even if they aren't the best quality of player - again it seems like the chances of producing a legend on that front is also much deminished.

This isn't just a problem with rovers, it's a problem for every club outside the top tier who can afford to keep the best players, and have the best chance of success.

I realise that legends don't come around all the time, but every generation of rovers fans, and football fans in general, should have the opportunity of seeing a legend play for their club. Also it's something that young fans can latch onto and help build their rapport with the club - they need heros. I've been fortunate enough to see Brad, Tugs, Shearer, Hendry amongst others, but I struggle to see where the legends for future generations will come from.

Is there anything that can be done about it? Am I being overly pessimistic? Is it actually an issue at all? Are we reduced to sub-heros in the team? I'd appreciate people's thoughs.

I think for a player to get that sort of status at a "smaller" club these days their game needs to be faulted, insofar as even though the talent might be there in abundance, it's unlikely that a top club would take a punt on them. Tugay with his age/mobility is an obvious example, but you could look back at someonle like Di Canio maybe being too much of a maverick for someone like a United or an Arsenal to take a chance on him.

I think for a player to get that sort of status at a "smaller" club these days their game needs to be faulted, insofar as even though the talent might be there in abundance, it's unlikely that a top club would take a punt on them. Tugay with his age/mobility is an obvious example, but you could look back at someonle like Di Canio maybe being too much of a maverick for someone like a United or an Arsenal to take a chance on him.

Add in to this (possible legends -for future generations- in more recent years/now):

Emerton: unsure of best postion, but generally very steady and been with the club a long while.

Nelsen: Excellent captain and very consistent defender, although getting on a bit.

Flitcroft: Another good captain, with us a long time, very hotheaded.

Dunn: Rovers fan, loves the club, nearly earned a testimonial, played more than decently in eery game he's had with us.

Samba: (in 2/3 years time).

If not 'legends' as such, I'm sure these players will be remembered fondly:

But then, so are Amoruso, Grabbi, Kuqi etc

the future ones from the current crop (if they retired today)

dunn

nelsen

and as for recent times:

jansen (if we are going back as far as flitcroft as some have)

friedel

tugay

it's going to be almost impossible to get a striker in the legend category unless they 'do a jansen', since those who are that good will leave.

Legend gets bandied about far too often and because of this it denigrates true legends.

I mean...I liked Flitty and Jansen...but LEGENDS? That means you are saying they are in the same league as the likes of Crompton, Eckersley, Douglas, Clayton. It seems a bit of an insult to include someone as average as Flitty or someone like Jansen who only had 2 good seasons for us...and just the one season in the top flight where he was only on top of his game for the half season after Cole joined.

Brad and Tugay in the last decade. Two top quality players who mixed greatness at times with longevity.

The likes of Emerton have the longevity but not exactly a great is he? Well, apart from that Wolves game...

If Dunn stays at Rovers then perhaps. Home-grown players are more likely to turn into legends as they often stay longer and the crowd has a natural affection for them. From the eighties...Fazackerley, Garner,

Maybe we need a definition of what a true legend is. It gets bandied about too much.

Legend gets bandied about far too often and because of this it denigrates true legends.

I mean...I liked Flitty and Jansen...but LEGENDS? That means you are saying they are in the same league as the likes of Crompton, Eckersley, Douglas, Clayton. It seems a bit of an insult to include someone as average as Flitty or someone like Jansen who only had 2 good seasons for us...and just the one season in the top flight where he was only on top of his game for the half season after Cole joined.

Brad and Tugay in the last decade. Two top quality players who mixed greatness at times with longevity.

The likes of Emerton have the longevity but not exactly a great is he? Well, apart from that Wolves game...

If Dunn stays at Rovers then perhaps. Home-grown players are more likely to turn into legends as they often stay longer and the crowd has a natural affection for them. From the eighties...Fazackerley, Garner,

Maybe we need a definition of what a true legend is. It gets bandied about too much.

Yeah, there is definitely a lack of criteria for what it takes to be a "legend". The Jansen debate is a perfect example. His Rovers career, and his career in general, was abbreviated, but that is part of his appeal: that he was magic for Rovers alone (well, maybe for Carlisle and Palace, but nevermind). It may have been a short run, but he wasn't a journeyman like Bellers.

I've been watchimg since 70-71 and "legends" Hmmm.

Garner/Shearer/Hendry/Duff/Friedel/Tugay/Parkes - more for all round service than as a player

Great players:

Field/Jones/Faz/Bailey/Hird/Barker/Gennoe/Speedie/Batty/Le Saux/Bellamy etc etc plus quite a few more

Players who have been/were here a long time:

Emerton/Flitcroft

I've been watchimg since 70-71 and "legends" Hmmm.

Garner/Shearer/Hendry/Duff/Friedel/Tugay/Parkes - more for all round service than as a player

Great players:

Field/Jones/Faz/Bailey/Hird/Barker/Gennoe/Speedie/Batty/Le Saux/Bellamy etc etc plus quite a few more

Players who have been/were here a long time:

Emerton/Flitcroft

Shearer has more chance of being a legend for all round service than for being a great player ?!??

If a club Rovers size can generate one to two legends every decade then they are doing fine, even one is more than sufficient.

Simon Garner seems to have maintained a legendary status with his frequent contacts with the club and its fans. Would think Dunny is going to be the next legend for Rovers with the amount of time hes spent at the club, lives locally and supports the team.

So heres two already, would think Tony Parkes is another Rovers legend although going through a difficult period will add to the Ronnie and Dougie combination of already legendary status.

For Rovers to build a history and profile with its supporterts, it extremely important that we have past players who can, and do, communicate regularly with the fans of today and yesterday. Its vitally important and it helps tremendously especially when times are difficult.

Good thread blueblood.

Archived