BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky+ Hd Box

I have now got an upto date SKY+ HD box and subscribed to the Sports channels in HD. However, my telly is a little old, and does not have an HDMI input. I went and got a component to HDMI lead (The telly has component input on AV4) and I cannot get a picture.

I did a bit of research and it seems like there is a compatibility isuue between HDMI out on the SKY box and component inout on my Toshiba 36" CRT TV.

My PS3 goes in fine via the same set up-IE Multi AV out from PS3 to component in, so why no joy with the SKY+HD box?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have now got an upto date SKY+ HD box and subscribed to the Sports channels in HD. However, my telly is a little old, and does not have an HDMI input. I went and got a component to HDMI lead (The telly has component input on AV4) and I cannot get a picture.

I did a bit of research and it seems like there is a compatibility isuue between HDMI out on the SKY box and component inout on my Toshiba 36" CRT TV.

My PS3 goes in fine via the same set up-IE Multi AV out from PS3 to component in, so why no joy with the SKY+HD box?

You won't get the full benefit of HD without a decent telly pal. My Toshiba's not that big (32") buit it's 1080p with all the sharpness and contrast etc on full.

Sport on sunny days can look outstanding, you'll notice you can pick out faces in the crowd, it's ace.

You can get one similar to mine for as little as £349 now with 'full HD' (1080pixel) here > http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-32ld450-32-full-hd-lcd-tv-04892125-pdt.html

Difficult I know, but you need a better telly if you want the full HD hit.

HDMI is a digital signal that carries encryption (if enabled) whereas component is analogue. Sky have enabled encryption which means the box and the tv can't handshake hence no picture.

You can still get hold of the original sky hd boxes on eBay that have component outs but I wouldn't recommend that as the first boxes were prone to over heating.

Whilst on the topic of sky - they are doing a good deal on ex customers....if you havent been a member for over 12 months you can get all skysports free for 12 months on a £19 a month deal. :tu:

Thats what I hate about Sky. Always good deals for new customers or people who have left / threaten to leave but for loyal customers, nothing. No incentives at all just year on year price hikes.

/rant mode off

Thats what I hate about Sky. Always good deals for new customers or people who have left / threaten to leave but for loyal customers, nothing. No incentives at all just year on year price hikes.

/rant mode off

Spot on Biddy. They do absolutely nothing for existing customers. Proper competition is needed.

But yes, they do have some amazing deal to get new customers, but you have to threaten to leave to get similar deals as an existing user.

Tried that Glenn. I'm sure the guy on the other end of the phone was waving goodbye to me. Got nowhere with that tactic - although others have.

Tried that Glenn. I'm sure the guy on the other end of the phone was waving goodbye to me. Got nowhere with that tactic - although others have.

I believe it depends on your monthly spend. If your on the full sport+movies+phone+internet+multiroom package then they'll work a lot harder to keep you than if you're just on the free stuff + 1 pack package. Also, being in a cable area (so you can just say, it's no problem I'll go back to virgin) helps, anywhere else, they know you can't really go elsewhere.

That said, they provide me with a service, I'm more than happy with the price. I dropped Sky Sports (as the only sport I care about, I attend in person and Soccer AM is now on Sky 1) and movies (I worked out I actually only watched a couple a month, so LoveFilm worked out much much cheaper), so I don't particularly feel the need to argue with them over price any more, because the basic+phone+net package is rather good.

You won't get the full benefit of HD without a decent telly pal. My Toshiba's not that big (32") buit it's 1080p with all the sharpness and contrast etc on full.

Sport on sunny days can look outstanding, you'll notice you can pick out faces in the crowd, it's ace.

You can get one similar to mine for as little as £349 now with 'full HD' (1080pixel) here > http://www.currys.co...892125-pdt.html

Difficult I know, but you need a better telly if you want the full HD hit.

You can buy it from DirectTVs.co.uk (who I thoroughly recommend, they were ace with my TV) for the same price http://tidd.ly/1519ea5a (and make a couple of bob for the site at the same time). :D

So is my PS3 playing back HD performance when I use the multi AV out to component input on the telly? Or does it just look really good anyway?

If your TV is capable of 720p or 1080i/p (which I doubt having just re-read your first post) then the multi AV out will be outputting in HD using an analogue signal. There is no problem with this and the picture would be HD. You will find though that most blu-rays even through the PS3 probably won't work (or output at 576p DVD quality) as they force the HDMI digital ecncryption handshake (to try and stop copying)

I doubt your old 36" CRT can to HD (although some rare, very expensive CRT's ones can).

Archived