BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bbc Radio Lancashire

Was driving in to the office in Liverpool this morning to hear Graham Liver lamenting that Rovers and Radio Lancs had been unable to agree on an increased fee for the radio station to cover Rovers home games this season.

A great pity I say, especially for those infirm fans and those who have to work who will be unable to follow the games on Radio Lancs.

Does anyone know just how much Rovers were asking and just what was the increase on last year? I hope that our Rovers Commercial (sic) have not shot themselves in the foot over this one.

Does that mean a commercial station has won the rights?

There was no indication of this at all Philip, but looking at the local competition and lack of advertising I doubt a local commercial station can afford it; however I cannot understand why a deal could not be done with the BBC unless there was competition for the rights.

Graham Liver was saying that they could not meet Rovers demands (GL is a fan) and suggested that they could not use taxpayers money in this way.

Preston - it was a bizarre scenario.

Nothing like what Radio Lancs have said....no extra demands by rovers or anything.

Prepare for a press statement :brfc:

yep, sounds a bit weird to me Hughsey. Radio Lancs were very clear that they were being faced with a hike in price!

I await the fallout, but worry about those fans who from across the North west who cannot get Radio Rovers and cannot attend for numerous legitimate reasons (work, illness, disability, cost etc).

Radio Lancs were very clear that they were being faced with a hike in price!

They were very clearly wrong in what they were saying then....hopefully something else can be done to get the commentary our thier - what about the bee, or rockfm maybe...im not sure what the crack would be with them?

Real shame there will be no games on Radio Lancs. I would imagine there is going to be a lot of Rovers fans who listened to Radio Lancs's commentary for example if they were working, and they will not be happy about this.

i find radio lancs to be anti rovers at times... apart from andy bayes who is a top bloke.

a similar thing happened in the mid 90's when 'red rose radio' won the rights to all rovers away game commentaries.

home a solution is found. particularly for the sick/ elderly fans who rely on radio lancs for all things rovers!

Could Rovers not set their own radio station up & stream it via the internet/ smart phone apps etc?

Rovers have had their own radio station for years (and yes, I still feel guilty for mocking Gerald, turns out he's actually a top bloke) and games have been streamed over the net for years. I don't know if they new rovers iphone app streams it though.

Could Rovers not set their own radio station up & stream it via the internet/ smart phone apps etc?

They do, but you have to pay subscription of £35-40 for Rovers Player.

Radio Rovers on the radio has a very limited range, once we're half way up Livesey Branch Road it has gone.

No great loss surely.

I find Radio Lancs coverage worse than useless. Even on the occasions when we are on, they just switch between local matches every coulple of minutes without any warning so that you can be listening to one commentary, then another without realising it.

And even if it's an important passage of play coming up like a corner etc.

Quite bizarre and good riddance to that.

No great loss surely.

I find Radio Lancs coverage worse than useless. Even on the occasions when we are on, they just switch between local matches every coulple of minutes without any warning so that you can be listening to one commentary, then another without realising it.

And even if it's an important passage of play coming up like a corner etc.

Quite bizarre and good riddance to that.

that is due to your positioning i think. as you move into different areas other radio waves become stronger and your radio automatically picks up the strongest one.

i agree that it is hard to listen to on the radio and i get more worked up when i hear the other team on the attack in the dying minutes than i do when i'm actually at the game given the intensity of the biased commentators but it isn't too different if we are on national radio.

Burnley and Preston Radio.

Always seems a cosy little club which Rovers are an afterthought.

I've always assumed it's because we have Radio Rovers on a matchday and enjoy greater coverage across all media as Premier League stalwarts.

Archived