BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba Stripped Of Captaincy

After Rovers' disappointing 2-0 defeat against Stoke at Ewood Park, manager Steve Kean has revealed that Chris Samba has been stripped of the captaincy: "Christopher would have played but he wouldn't have been captain because he's looking to get away," Kean confirmed. "Until he says he is happy to stay, we'll look elsewhere in the club."

Samba had said last week that he was looking to move away from Rovers after the shock sacking of Sam Allardyce. Steve Kean revealed on Thursday that Samba had been looking to move away from Rovers for the last year.

I feel Sambas comments were wrong but I feel Kean hasn't handled the situation well. First, he came out and said that Samba had been angling for a move for a year, doesn't strike me as a way to convince a player to stay or a way to negotiate with a player. Now he's stripped him of the captaincy, if his performances on the pitch weren't being affected I don't see the need to take away the armband. Now he has even more of a reason to ask for a move, and whether we like it or not he is the best central defender at our club.

Players morale will be at the ultimate low not just that but if you speak out at any point you will be made accountable even if its the decent thing to do. And to simon I actually think none of them made the call, I think it was kentro

Regardless of the player's standing in the club, if you come out in the press stating that you want to leave you should be stripped of the captaincy.

What sort of message does it send out to the rest of the team if the captain wants out and publicly slates the new owners for sacking Allardyce? There is nothing to be gained by saying what he did other than to undermine the new manager and unsettle the squad. Regardless of Samba saying what many of us were thinking at the time, he should have kept his mouth shut. Losing the captaincy was a formality when he opened his gob.

What sort of message does it send out to the rest of the team if the captain wants out and publicly slates the new owners for sacking Allardyce? There is nothing to be gained by saying what he did other than to undermine the new manager and unsettle the squad. Regardless of Samba saying what many of us were thinking at the time, he should have kept his mouth shut. Losing the captaincy was a formality when he opened his gob.

Honestly, why would it matter if he said it publically or not? If he's the team captain, then surely he has spoken of his frustrations to the players in private anyway and surely they have all already discussed it. The only thing Samba's speaking to the press achieved was to confirm what the majority of the fans thought and sympathise with the situation.

Does anyone remember any of the players looking at all happy or even give a smile while on the pitch? This is turning into an utter shambles.

Kean needs every player behind him. This is entirely the wrong way to go about things.

Would you be still saying that if Sam was still in charge and there wasn't any disharmony behind the scenes?

Samba is the captain of the team, the leader on the pitch and he comes out with comments about wanting to leave. What example does that show to the rest of the players (especially the younger players) that your captain, your leader on the pitch wants out?

I find it hilarious that fans seem to be justifying in some way Samba's disgraceful behaviour because of what is happening in the background. If Samba wants out then there is a quiet and professional way of doing that when the transfer window is open instead of moaning and ranting to the media.

Would you be still saying that if Sam was still in charge and there wasn't any disharmony behind the scenes?

Samba is the captain of the team, the leader on the pitch and he comes out with comments about wanting to leave. What example does that show to the rest of the players (especially the younger players) that your captain, your leader on the pitch wants out?

I find it hilarious that fans seem to be justifying in some way Samba's disgraceful behaviour because of what is happening in the background. If Samba wants out then there is a quiet and professional way of doing that when the transfer window is open instead of moaning and ranting to the media.

I don't see what he said as being disgraceful.

Either way, it's to everyone's benefit to smooth things out and get Samba back onside. We need him.

The "get shut of Samba" calls, reflect the "get shut of Allardyce" calls. Plain stupid and not in the interests of Steve Kean or Blackburn Rovers.

Sat in the box behind N02 today....no point being Captain/ Leader if your not interested in being here.

He hasn't handed in a transfer request and said he has to leave.

All that ha been said is he is extremely concerned about the sacking of Sam and the potential future of the club if that trend is to continue and if assurances couldn't be given he would have to look to leave. If you would rather he didn't say what the rest of the footballing world is thinking then so be it.

I find it hilarious that grown men are reacting like babies because Samba suddenly wants to leave the club. A captain SHOULD voice his concerns in private and in public and demand improvement if he sees things are going wrong. What our management shouldn't do is ignore those concerns, those very real concerns, and tell him he can (Please don't use that word again) off if he wants to, as long as we get some nice $$$$ for him.

I find it hilarious that grown men are reacting like babies because Samba suddenly wants to leave the club. A captain SHOULD voice his concerns in private and in public and demand improvement if he sees things are going wrong. What our management shouldn't do is ignore those concerns, those very real concerns, and tell him he can (Please don't use that word again) off if he wants to, as long as we get some nice $$$$ for him.

Spot on.

Samba doesnt want to hand a transfer request in afterall

Good news

Robbo has also said he's committed long term

And we now have a manager who seems to be happy to attack teams & go for the kill.

Just perhaps it isnt all doom & gloom....perhaps what Venkys have planned really is something to look forward to?? Hears hoping!!

The criticism handed to Samba for saying he would consider leaving if things didn't improve was unfair in my opinion. There was obviously some discontent among players AND fans following the sacking, but that's because of the absolutely comical way it was handled by Venky's both privately and through the media.

Anyway, the whole thing with Samba was blown out of proportion by misleading article headings and fans on here.

Fantastic news that Samba is staying. He is absolutely critical to our future.

Nicko's post suggesting a club could be coming in for Samba could be a Kentaro heads up that they are moving him out to generate more funds for their players to come in but that would be too cynical to post something like that.

Archived