BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba Stripped Of Captaincy

I don't think any of the anger generated from the fallout has been directed at Steve Kean himself its more of a criticism of the poor communication set out by the owners. In fairness to them they seemed to have gone silent over the last few days and let the manager talk to the press about exciting times which after what happened with Sam and the mixed messages from the various family members needed to happen especially with the oppertunity to get lost in translation. In fairness to Samba he probably saw and felt what many of us felt a downward spiral and in fairness since the Stoke game things have started to get better, maybe that was rock bottom, maybe today is a false dawn.

IMO the biggest mistake Venkys have made so far is not sacking Sam; not Kentaro; not poor communication; it was infact getting Kean to India for a face to face meeting(granted what he has been able to say to the players the plans are may have helped get people back onside within the club)that was blatently obvious with how we played against Stoke, we looked disjointed and ill prepared for a team who are an EXCELLENT team for being prepared and well drilled at set plays.

Fans will judge players/managers/owners for the success they can bring to the club likewise players will judge managers and owners for the potential success and potential earnings in their career, Managers will look to owners to provide resources to give them every oppertunity of doing well.

• Backroom

The criticism handed to Samba for saying he would consider leaving if things didn't improve was unfair in my opinion. There was obviously some discontent among players AND fans following the sacking, but that's because of the absolutely comical way it was handled by Venky's both privately and through the media.

Anyway, the whole thing with Samba was blown out of proportion by misleading article headings and fans on here.

To be fair Miker, it was Kean himself who said Samba had wanted out for a year. Obviously that was going to annoy people, it's not a nice thing to hear about the man who is supposed to be captain of the club. I don't think there was anything especially misleading either posted or reported in regards to Samba.

To be fair Miker, it was Kean himself who said Samba had wanted out for a year. Obviously that was going to annoy people, it's not a nice thing to hear about the man who is supposed to be captain of the club. I don't think there was anything especially misleading either posted or reported in regards to Samba.

The misleading articles I was talking about were the ones claiming stuff like "Samba will quit Blackburn" and "Kean snubs Samba" and "Samba hands in transfer request". None of this was really accurate, he stated he would consider leaving and probably said the same about a year ago, but that was about as far as that got. As I've said before, it's reasonable for a player to consider moving to a club like Spurs or Arsenal for instance if given the opportunity, especially if your club isn't really progressing or seemingly in turmoil and you feel like you should be progressing as a player.

Some of the articles and posts on here were suggesting that Samba didn't care about the club anymore and wanted out and fast, which as far as I can see, isn't accurate at all.

The misleading articles I was talking about were the ones claiming stuff like "Samba will quit Blackburn" and "Kean snubs Samba" and "Samba hands in transfer request". None of this was really accurate, he stated he would consider leaving and probably said the same about a year ago, but that was about as far as that got. As I've said before, it's reasonable for a player to consider moving to a club like Spurs or Arsenal for instance if given the opportunity, especially if your club isn't really progressing or seemingly in turmoil and you feel like you should be progressing as a player.

Some of the articles and posts on here were suggesting that Samba didn't care about the club anymore and wanted out and fast, which as far as I can see, isn't accurate at all.

I think you're being quite kind to the big man here. He is meant to be captain, and he should keep personal thoughts about career progression to himself. The generally agreed school of thought is that he used the current turmoil at the club to further his own personal agenda. Not acceptable.

Also, the red top headlines you quote are quite simply that, red top headlines...sensationalism. Do people really take them seriously?

Samba doesnt want to hand a transfer request in afterall

Good news

Robbo has also said he's committed long term

And we now have a manager who seems to be happy to attack teams & go for the kill.

Just perhaps it isnt all doom & gloom....perhaps what Venkys have planned really is something to look forward to?? Hears hoping!!

just wait till venkys up the cost of match and season tickets....then, we will have doom and gloom!!

He is worth over 10 million Pounds to us.

Its a joke to accept anything under 8 figures at the very least. He has a long-term contract as well.

I agree 100% - I honestly believe that if Cahill is worth £15-17m as they always say then we need to be asking for much more than £8m for Samba. Lescott went for £17m and he is no better than Samba.

I agree 100% - I honestly believe that if Cahill is worth £15-17m as they always say then we need to be asking for much more than £8m for Samba. Lescott went for £17m and he is no better than Samba.

Which is all meaningless if he wants to stay and we don't want him out, I'd prefer he stayed, and judging by the recent article where he spoke so warmly of our club (Was it the Guardian or the Independent?) I can well imagine him being more than happy to stay

Here's a frightening concept for you to consider, which I can forsee happening under our current stewardship:

We get a good quality Defensive Midfielder in the January window, Samba and Jones are encouraged to bring the ball out and attack from the back, up the middle, like we know he can do, now how scary to the opposition would that be?

He is worth over 10 million Pounds to us.

Its a joke to accept anything under 8 figures at the very least. He has a long-term contract as well.

not only that, he is also about, to enter his prime

the 1 touch debate, is hugely overrated.

• 4 weeks later...

Samba to stay & contract announcement expected within 24 hours

Great news...whether it took another contract or not, its best to keep your best players, rather than sell and try to replace.

That's all well and good, but contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on. He has 3 years left on his current payrise. What's to stop him getting itchy feet again in the summer? I'm somewhat disappointed in Samba for trying to hold the club over a barrel. If he simply wanted to leave to further his career, I'd regrettably understand. But it's clearly all about money here. No wonder he was looking to join Villa.

I would have given him another year before even considering a new deal. We have to watch the wage budget, because we've got a big squad with some high-earners, some of which aren't even playing. Let's just hope we can shift some of the deadwood in the summer.

it's still a sign of commitment and that some good things are happening at Blackburn, he's a key player.

Also the fact he signs another contract means we can push a transfer fee up as it would have to be a special offer now.

when we sign Messi in the summer, he will not want to go to Aston Villa still.

That's all well and good, but contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on. He has 3 years left on his current payrise. What's to stop him getting itchy feet again in the summer? I'm somewhat disappointed in Samba for trying to hold the club over a barrel. If he simply wanted to leave to further his career, I'd regrettably understand. But it's clearly all about money here. No wonder he was looking to join Villa.

I would have given him another year before even considering a new deal. We have to watch the wage budget, because we've got a big squad with some high-earners, some of which aren't even playing. Let's just hope we can shift some of the deadwood in the summer.

It is disappointing that it transpires all his kicking and screaming was merely to force a pay-rise. But that's just the way football is nowadays.

One pleasing aspect on the 'deadwood' is that Venky's have shown they will do what they have to to shift someone even if it costs a few quid ala Chimbonda.

It is disappointing that it transpires all his kicking and screaming was merely to force a pay-rise. But that's just the way football is nowadays.

One pleasing aspect on the 'deadwood' is that Venky's have shown they will do what they have to to shift someone even if it costs a few quid ala Chimbonda.

As Alan Nixon said too, he's never had a big signing on fee. It's that that gives you the big money and of course if you move you also get a new wage deal. I'm not happy if just any player thinks he can throw a wobbly and get a pay rise, but I can see why the idea of a move was apealing to Samba. If he stays, great, as long as he doesn't expect a pay rise every time another club looks at him. The comments he made to L'Equipe were never as bad as they were translated - genuinely a case of lost in translation - and I think the apparent disrespect was more the result of confusion among players as to what was happening, fuelled by a lot of media speculation. Hopefully it's been cleared up now and we can get on with our season. Seems to be a lot more positive media vibes towards Rovers this weekend and Mr Kean has a lot to do with that, in that his handling of the club at a very difficult time has been very steady.

Archived