BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

Balwer

Sky Sports News just mentioned that Nelsen has signed a two year extension. Congratulations to a true professional who will now almost certainly finish, outside NZ anyway, his career at Blackburn.

I think he had one more year left already. Well, they almost all will get a pay rise and it was his turn. Nothing against him but this is much more a favour to him than the club.

Rubbish you really think hard nosed business men like Venkys do favors on contracts ? Look how they binned fat sam and chimbonda

Nelsen has got the extension because his hard work and commitment deserves it.

Best news since Venkys took over IMO

I blummin' love Nelsen.

Easily one of my favourite footballers in the last decade or so. I love his attitude on and off the pitch.

The real leader of Blackburn Rovers both on and off the pitch.

FFS! Id much rather they waited to offer ageing, slowing defenders who make too many mistakes when we have people like Phil Jones desperate to play in centre defence.

Moved too soon in my opinion

Having a contract extention doesn't guarantee him a place ahead of Jones. Surely whoever impresses the most plays.

Our captain has signed a new deal and he's a great bloke on and off the pitch and a great servant for our club. I don't see any reason why anyone should be disappointed by this.

FFS! Id much rather they waited to offer ageing, slowing defenders who make too many mistakes when we have people like Phil Jones desperate to play in centre defence.

Moved too soon in my opinion

There's the small matter of Phil being out injured for the best part of the season and maybe the beginning of next. Nelsen's commitment as well as his stature at the club mean he's worth keeping around.

Very happy hearing this news. Absolute gentlemen that bloke. Cracking centre half too. Can still do a job at this level. Great ambassador for this club with his professional approach. Didn't hear him kick up a fuss and demand a move when they made Samba captain on the field. True sportsman.

Hughesy, Jones will learn a lot from Nelsen.

You single out Nelsen for making mistakes but the other defenders have made more costly mistakes this season.

I'm delighted, I think Samba will sign a new contract now.

May sound OTT and I said it recently, however the day Nelsen leaves the club will be a very sad day - hopefully when that does happen there will be some sort of farewell match because he deserves it.

He is a true professional, leads from the front, and has genuine affection for the club.

Good to see him sign a new contract.

I've never met the guy but have always been impressed by his intelligence [both on and off the pitch] and the way he conducts himself. No wonder he got the NZ Order of Merit in the recent Honours List.

I know he won't have been with us for long enough to qualify for a testimonial by the end of his contract but I hope at that stage, there'll be some way the club and fans can show our appreciation. I, too, wondered if he saw his future in coaching; if he does, I bet he'll be a good 'un.

It's just a pity that, like virtually all Kiwis, he never uses the right vowels in the right place when he speaks! :lol:

A true sporting professional, and I hope our youngsters look to emmulate the likes of him and Salgado, and not the likes of Samba.

Just read on Wiki he graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Political Science. We may have the next New Zealand Premier on our hands here.

Hughesy, Jones will learn a lot from Nelsen.

You single out Nelsen for making mistakes but the other defenders have made more costly mistakes this season.

I'm delighted, I think Samba will sign a new contract now.

Your biased so its doesnt count :P

Anyway GREAT news - its only a 1 year extension!

My Ryan Nelsen story:

One of my best mates is a Kiwi and his brother is friends with Ryan, all thre of them used to play in the same team in Christchurch.

When Rovers were playing over here in Sydney my mates brother passed on to me the phone number for Ryan's dad & said it was OK for me to give him a call while he was in Sydney.

I rang Ryan's dad out of the blue, explained who I was and then couldn't get off the phone!!!

Ryan's dad is a smashing bloke and would talk all day if you let him.

We arranged to meet up with his dad during the one of the games.

When at the stadium it was all a bit rushed and very wet as the rain had been belting down.

Me and my son Ben went round to were the Rovers fans were and watched the first half. Ryan wasn't playing.

At half time I got a call from Ryan's dad, he said let's meet up.

We went to the meeting point - Ryan and his dad were both there!!

Ryan was already aware of who we were and the mutual friends we had and asked to come and sit with him for the second half of the game!! We sat together, and passed the time just watching a game together, talking like two blokes at a football game. I have photo's and autographs to prove it all.

Ryan isn't awesome, great, amazing or anything like that he's just a normal bloke. That's how he treated me & how I treated him. I suppose what is awesome, great and amazing is that he behaves like a normal bloke.

Yeah OK we talked about playing in the World Cup, playing in the Premier League and captaining the Rovers and all those things are awesome great and amazing, but Ryan has his feet firmly on the ground. You couldn't wish to meet a nicer chap.

I told Ryan's dad that his son is a credit to him and reflects the good job that they have done in parenting him - I think he was chuffed to hear that.

From my experience Ryan is a great bloke, somebody you would love to call your mate, but then so is his dad - maybe it just runs in the family.

That is lovely to hear John.

For Hughesy, all Prem clubs need 5 top central defenders in their squad- even more so Rovers without a tried and tested traditional left back. There are things called injuries and suspensions that happen during the season...

So Samba, Nelsen, Givet, Jones and Hanley looks right to me.

PS to my story

After the game we went into the player lounge with Ryan and sat with him (& Dunny, Emerton & Roberts) chatting while the other players got showered and changed. We then met the entire squad as the came into the lounge.

I've struggled to get photos to upload on the MB, I tried to create a gallery of all my photos from Sydney but failed miserably....

If any body can help me with that I would be very grateful, we have some good photos to share.

Cheers - John

PS to my story

After the game we went into the player lounge with Ryan and sat with him (& Dunny, Emerton & Roberts) chatting while the other players got showered and changed. We then met the entire squad as the came into the lounge.

I've struggled to get photos to upload on the MB, I tried to create a gallery of all my photos from Sydney but failed miserably....

If any body can help me with that I would be very grateful, we have some good photos to share.

Cheers -

Flicker seems to be the most populat photo hosting site around these days. Flickr

I think it's pretty easy to upload pics, if you struggle I'm sure someone will be able to give you some help :)

• Backroom

Of all the players at the club, Nelsen is the one I'd least begrudge getting a new contract, so I'm glad to hear it. He's been a loyal, committed member of the team who doesn't put a foot wrong off the pitch and sets a great example for both his own team-mates and the youngsters coming through. Sure, he's beginning to lose a little pace, but overall he's the type of character I'm proud to have representing my club and we all know he's going to give 110% every time he's in a Rovers shirt.

Archived