BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam vs Keano

damo100

Sport is about winning, nothing else.

The first part is right, the part after the comma renders your comment complete b*****cks. You may want to see how your sporting 'heroes' eg Duggie feel about your statement. Your credibility was zero, now it's well into minus territory.

Would guess you've done

sort of thing in your time on the cricket grounds of England then? In time honoured fashion I wouldn't be expecting a reply though.

Sam's idea of football is functional, at best. It brought much-needed stability to the club, but long-term it sucked the fun and excitement out of watching Rovers. 'Winning at any cost' is a joke anyway, when we were on the end of some right drubbings without even putting up a fight. Also, for a man of his so-called tactical nous, Sam's inability to adapt to a Plan B was exposed time and time again. So I can totally understand why Venky's thought Sam wasn't the face to launch their product.

Kean is only just plying his trade as a manager and will have to learn pretty fast, but he's already entertained me more in his month in charge than Sam ever did. He's also addressing key areas of the team that have been neglected for some time and wants to improve our style of football. Let's hope he makes the most of the opportunity.

Sam's idea of football is functional, at best. It brought much-needed stability to the club, but long-term it sucked the fun and excitement out of watching Rovers. 'Winning at any cost' is a joke anyway, when we were on the end of some right drubbings without even putting up a fight. Also, for a man of his so-called tactical nous, Sam's inability to adapt to a Plan B was exposed time and time again. So I can totally understand why Venky's thought Sam wasn't the face to launch their product.

Kean is only just plying his trade as a manager and will have to learn pretty fast, but he's already entertained me more in his month in charge than Sam ever did. He's also addressing key areas of the team that have been neglected for some time and wants to improve our style of football. Let's hope he makes the most of the opportunity.

I am glad Sam has gone, looking back it's a new era and the owners right, although Kean was a little bit of a shock.

Speaking of plan B, I wonder if Kean has a plan B?

Kean's tactical naivety and plain stupidity shown up again in his selections and substitutions tonight. Any supporter would tell him Roberts should never start a game and the selection of Andrews instead of Pedersen defies belief. Lucky wins over a plummeting West Brom and demotivated Liverpool put a gloss on a very average set of results since he took charge. He has still everything to prove.

Kean's tactical naivety and plain stupidity shown up again in his selections and substitutions tonight. Any supporter would tell him Roberts should never start a game and the selection of Andrews instead of Pedersen defies belief. Lucky wins over a plummeting West Brom and demotivated Liverpool put a gloss on a very average set of results since he took charge. He has still everything to prove.

But Sam often started Roberts.

But Sam often played Andrews.

So is Keano just as naive as him, flower? :)

Pipe down, nobody cares what you have to say or values your opinion.

:brfc:

Good result for your boys tonight, Jim.

The sad thing is, you just know Jim wanted us to lose, so he could bitch about the new manager.... AGAIN.

Give it up now. It's not even funny, and your entire standpoint is baseless when Sam was guilty of the same accusations.

• Backroom

The sad thing is, you just know Jim wanted us to lose, so he could bitch about the new manager.... AGAIN.

Give it up now. It's not even funny, and your entire standpoint is baseless when Sam was guilty of the same accusations.

This is right, I don't know what happened to Jim but somewhere down the line he transitioned from being a Rovers fan to being a fan firstly of Sam Allardyce and secondly of his own opinions.

I was predicting this today too if we lost.

Although Kean probably did get it wrong today, but Wigan next hey.

This thread is just bound to create the snidey, bitchy stuff we are sick of (most of us). Time to forget that era cos its gone.

Kean has to be judged now on what sort of job he makes of it without reference to his predecessor.

I thought he made 2 errors with the starting line-up, namely Roberts and our Keith. What that bloke has that leads 3 managers to pick him is way beyond me.

Add Kean's mistake in playing Roque last weekend and that's 3 errors he shouldn't have made.

On the other hand we created loads of chances and deserved something out of the game. Its typical of our season that the defining moment of the match was a very early defensive error.

The problem for us was, again, central mid-field. Let's hope Formica and Jones will solve it.

This thread is silly. I'm so far so neutral about the Kean regime. Initially like most I was shocked that a novice was appointed instead of a very good manager like Sam. Then the West Brom (away) and Liverpool wins came and I thought it was a good start at least. But since then apart from the West Brom home game (who are in freefall) there's been little else to cheer really. And I'm pretty worried that what we've been seeing is just new manager bounce. Remember Ricky Sbragia?

On the plus side I don't think we'll go down this season thanks to the position we're already in and maybe we can strengthen in the summer.

People who compare Sam with Kean based on a couple of good performances and results for Kean don't know their backside from their elbow. Plenty of promoted sides have come up in recent years, given the big sides a bloody nose, played some decent flowing football to go with it and then gone back down as quick as they came.

The sides that have done well with small budgets over SUSTAINED periods of time ie multiple seasons have been the likes of Stoke, Bolton under Sam and Rovers under both Sam and Hughes. And yes under Hughes we played some good stuff early on but towards the end of our reign we were criticised by much of the league for our style of play. Once Bellamy left (ie we lost pace) and Tugay's legs started going (ie our creativity) it unsurprisingly had a big impact on our style of play.

So yeah, if Kean achieves the same results Sam did over multiple seasons, on a smallish transfer budget, whilst playing more attractive football then we'll bring this thread up. Until then - irrelevant comparison.

Archived