• I am able to vote and will be voting No
    • I am able to vote but will not be voting
    • I am NOT able to vote but would vote Yes
    • I am NOT able to vote but would vote No
    • I am NOT able to vote and wouldn't vote anyway

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In England so far, Labour + 757 councillors, Con + 55, Lib Dem -636, the north of England returns to a sea of red.

In Wales, Labour biggest party, in Scotland SNP make sweeping gains - is this the break-up of the union ?

Good day for Labour overall but it could have been better. Labour MPs and former ministers have been attacking the Liberal Democrats and have overlooked the fact that their target should be Cameron and not Clegg.

When the dust of the AV and local elections settles, the Lib Dems will be in disarray, their raison d'etre will have been lost for a generation. If Clegg and Ed Miliband had put their personal differences aside and campaigned together for AV, then Cameron would have been in trouble with the loathsome right-wing of his own party and given the slap he so richly deserves for inflicting unnecessary cuts on this country.

There is nothing natural about the economic cycle, it is entirely man made. Of course it is possible to end 'boom and bust', it is 100% in control of human beings to do so.

Tagging Brown's name at the front was a bit of a cheap of way adding credibility to the post. Identical tactics used by the 'no to AV' campaign oddly enough.

Unlike the Tory boom and bust years of 1979 - 1997 the Labour years in power were characterised by steady growth and at no stage did the economy "boom" . The bust that started in 2007 was of course a worldwide phenomenon precipitated by the banks. Brown's remark about boom and bust will always be thrown back at him but he was not responsible for either.

Unlike the Tory boom and bust years of 1979 - 1997 the Labour years in power were characterised by steady growth and at no stage did the economy "boom" . The bust that started in 2007 was of course a worldwide phenomenon precipitated by the banks. Brown's remark about boom and bust will always be thrown back at him but he was not responsible for either.

Eh? There was one 'bust' in the early 90s and the economy was well into growth by 1997.

Brown overspent massively and therefore we were not ready for the world downturn- as you well know. Complete economic illiterates the lot of them

and ps. Would Labour have not made any cuts?????

pps wernt you expecting big losses for the evil Tories on Labour's march back to power? not gains in Wales and across England? Not half bad for the incumbent party of 'cuts'.

loathsome right-wing of his own party and given the slap he so richly deserves for inflicting unnecessary cuts on this country.

A direct question to be answered in a direct way.

Please in monetary terms outline how much additional cuts the converstives have made against Labour pledges

The biggest problem that Labour have atm is that Ed Milliband is unelecatble. If his brother was leader I would say the next GE would be 50/50

He reminds me of IDS and I don't think they'll stick with him for too long - I certainly don't think he'll make the next GE.

Have to say I find it very unsettling to see swathes of MPs wildly celebrating the AV "no" result.

I guess their seats are now safe for as long as they want them?

Have to say I find it very unsettling to see swathes of MPs wildly celebrating the AV "no" result.

I guess their seats are now safe for as long as they want them?

Look on the bright side Jisty.... at least it keeps a bunch of dollopers away from spoiling industry and private enterprise. :tu:

I suppose Theno but these dollopers are being paid handsomely for not doing an awful lot in return.

I'm just reading today's LT and there comment about the result was "the scale of victory meant it was not simply a vote against AV but a firm endorsement by the public of the first-past-the-post system"

I just wonder if this is entirely true or if the "Alternative Vote" was not enough of an alternative to sway people. Or if it's just down to ignorance or even a sense of a dislike of change.

The celebratory scenes have given me an uneasy feeling the British public have be hoodwinked. Wonder if this will cause a breakdown of the coalition, and would this mean another general election?

Footnote: IMHO it should be mandatory for every tax-paying Briton to vote. Much like it was for the the census.

"the scale of victory meant it was not simply a vote against AV but a firm endorsement by the public of the first-past-the-post system"

That always was going to happen. To quote Alan Partidge....this country. :rolleyes:

Eh? There was one 'bust' in the early 90s and the economy was well into growth by 1997.

Brown overspent massively and therefore we were not ready for the world downturn- as you well know. Complete economic illiterates the lot of them

and ps. Would Labour have not made any cuts?????

pps wernt you expecting big losses for the evil Tories on Labour's march back to power? not gains in Wales and across England? Not half bad for the incumbent party of 'cuts'.

Don't hold your breath.

Archived