BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] name and shame

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like the exact opposite of operating a free house pub where the same beer beer from the same brewery can be bought on the open market much cheaper than the tenant of a pub tied to that brewery can buy it at. Check out Witherspoons and you'll find their prices incredible. Check out too the cheap beer on offer at the Petre Arms at Langho. Yet the poor old tenant presiding over one man and his dog in the local for 6 nights a week is accused of ripping everybody off.

Wetherspoons buy 'short dated' beer. There nowt wrong with it, but it`s approaching it`s use by date. They buy it in bulk for knockdown prices & sell it cheap & quickly. Good business sense :tu: in my view.

Brewery tied pubs have to buy their beer at the price set by the brewery. They cannot shop around for the best deals.

Supermarkets insist on a minimum 6month shelf life for their bottles & cans, where-as Wetherspoons will buy & sell short-dated for a LOT less.

I have been thinking of getting one of those folding bikes, use it for work and perhaps also carry it in the car for trips so I can park up without going right into town.

Anyone ever had a folding bike? Just wondering what they are like to ride.

texaco at grimshaw park today cheaper than tescos...

Tesco usually increase prices just before their 2p off a litre deal. Wouldnt be suprised if thats what happens.

I have been thinking of getting one of those folding bikes, use it for work and perhaps also carry it in the car for trips so I can park up without going right into town.

Anyone ever had a folding bike? Just wondering what they are like to ride.

Rebecula,

"Go Outdoors" is doing a deal on a "Saxon" folding bike. here

I've no idea about the quality at all. I've got a flyer from Go Outdoors which says it now at £79.99 which is £100 less that the web site. It may be worth a punt. For £80 it'll probably pay for itself in a year by saving parking costs.

It's in-store only. There's a store in Blackburn apparantly - no idea where it is. Probably a good idea if you decide to buy one to get a membership/ discount card for £5, then the cost of the bike drops.

Generally speaking the acme of folding bikes is the Brompton. They do the job and, although I've never used one I've never heard a bad word about them. You wouldn't do a 50 mile trip on them, nor expect them to go off-road, but they do what they are designed to do.

Cheers

Colin

There's a store in Blackburn apparantly - no idea where it is.

It''s at Bank Top, opposite the Citroen dealer. Used to be a DIY store?

Colin is right about Bromptons. For £180 you don't get a lot of bike, for £80 you're getting the very cheap chance to find out if this is for you. I'd buy one and then if the whole concept suits you, after a winter!, get a Brompton.

Rebecula,

"Go Outdoors" is doing a deal on a "Saxon" folding bike. here

I've no idea about the quality at all. I've got a flyer from Go Outdoors which says it now at £79.99 which is £100 less that the web site. It may be worth a punt. For £80 it'll probably pay for itself in a year by saving parking costs.

It's in-store only. There's a store in Blackburn apparantly - no idea where it is. Probably a good idea if you decide to buy one to get a membership/ discount card for £5, then the cost of the bike drops.

Generally speaking the acme of folding bikes is the Brompton. They do the job and, although I've never used one I've never heard a bad word about them. You wouldn't do a 50 mile trip on them, nor expect them to go off-road, but they do what they are designed to do.

Cheers

Colin

Colin is right about Bromptons. For £180 you don't get a lot of bike, for £80 you're getting the very cheap chance to find out if this is for you. I'd buy one and then if the whole concept suits you, after a winter!, get a Brompton.

Thanks a lot guys. If I get up to Blackburn I will give it a look. Unfortunately I am not even in England just now. But I have made a note of the names, places etc and only the innocent will survive. :lol:

how come we haven't seen the truck drivers etc blockading the refineries again like last time?

Do they get a better deal or something?

Not that i know of. They pay roughly the same.

A large local haulage company (East Lancs Warehousing) has just folded. A crippling unpaid fuel bill & loss of a couple of big contracts has put them to the sword. If you can imagine, most big lorries do about 8miles to the gallon :blink: they use a lot of fuel.

Two years ago i was paying 98p a litre for my diesel. Now i`m paying nearly £1.40 for a litre....& i`m not allowed to pass those costs on.

Not that i know of. They pay roughly the same.

Commercial fuel costs are, as you'd expect, dependent on volume. We operate 4 x 7.5 tonne vehicles and 1 x 17.5 tonne for local distribution. We have our own fuel store but the volumes are so small we pay within 1 or 2p of the pump price.

Our national distribution, about 85% of turnover, is via a logistics company. Last November we agreed the annual fixed distribution cost plus a fuel surcharge for 2011. The fuel surcharge is running at 4.7% today. The last price comparison I have is for 2010 - in w/c 8th January fuel was 93.9ppl and in w/c 23rd December had risen to 105.9 ppl an increase of just under 12.75%.

For the first time in 17 years we will shortly introduce a fuel surcharge on all deliveries. This after having increased prices by 4% in January and increased our minimum delivery volume 10% - all done simply to cover increased distribution cost. As an aside we are all paying for this out of our taxed income. My retailers, to a man, have increased the retail price 17% (50p in real terms) to cover our increase and the VAT rise.

Our distribution cost, overall, is up 12.1% on April 2010.

We've also found it impossible to use small hauliers as these guys can no longer afford to be competitive.The only one we still use had to be told to put his prices up, by me, when I discovered he was funding the fuel increases out of his own wage!

Go Outdoors is at the other end. Across from Farmfoods.

Go Outdoors is at the other end. Across from Farmfoods.

No its not. That`s the camping center. Go Outdoors is on Bank Top.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't pay it but Charnock Richard Services have Shell diesel at a mind-blowing £1.57p!!! This is the "special" diesel with extra additives, not sure what they do.

Didn't pay it but Charnock Richard Services have Shell diesel at a mind-blowing £1.57p!!! This is the "special" diesel with extra additives, not sure what they do.

i read somewhere it does NOWT extra and is a complete rip off.

Archived