BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Tittle Tattle

Published: Thursday, 28 April 2011

Transfer Tittle Tattle

by BRFCS News

With the end of the season and the start of the transfer window drawing near, the tabloid rumours linking the best players from the struggling teams with moves to bigger clubs are beginning to appear.

Multiple sources are reporting that Sir Alex Ferguson and Kenny Dalglish are gearing up for a bidding war over Rovers defender Phil Jones, with a  fee of around £15M being mentioned. The England U21 international has only recently signed a new contract that keeps him at the club until 2016, hopefully ensuring a sizeable pay day for the club if he does go.

This could be the biggest test to date of whether new owners Venky's are willing to stay true to their word and put the strength of the team before profits.

Looking at players going the other way, it's being widely reported that Rovers have been trying to land the 20-year-old Spanish U21 international midfielder Jose Recio. Recio (whose real name is José Luis García del Pozo) is believed to have signed a contract with Malaga that would tie him to the club until the summer of 2015.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way Jones played against man city he is worth more than 15. I suppose if Rovers are relegated they will be forced to sell him but I would like to see him stick around if Rovers stay up along with with Hoilet, N'Zonzi and Olsson who I believe all have bright futures; a nice core of young talent to build around.

Whatever we think of Jones' ability (and I think as highly as anyone), as a defender it's hard to command more than £15 million unless you've had at least one full season playing well in the Premier League. That injury wouldve brought down his value this summer considerably.

then we dont sell. if we dont get what we value him at then he goes nowhere. unless its in his contract

£15 million is a joke :closedeyes:

I would want at least £20 million for the Phil Jones he's got the quality to go on and be just as good as John Terry.

phil will become better then John Terry, J.T. is a very good leader but he aint one of the best defensivly in my opinion. If Ledley King and Jonathon Woodgate had stayed fit throughout thier careers, Terry would have no where near the amount of caps he currently has.

Whatever we think of Jones' ability (and I think as highly as anyone), as a defender it's hard to command more than £15 million unless you've had at least one full season playing well in the Premier League. That injury wouldve brought down his value this summer considerably.

It could well have brought down our league position prize money as well...

Venky's, will you please watch the europa league and sign some of the players still in it?

here are some sugestions: Falcão, Hulk, Coentrao, Cardozo, Joao Moutinho, Rolando, Salvio, Maxi Pereira, Fernando, Guarin... And there are some good players in Villarreal as well lol

If we get relegated, Chelsea come in with an offer and he wants to leave, then it won't be as simple as that.

I genuinley think the threat of Phil Jones leaving lies in the hands of Venkys rather than the player, I firmly believe he would give us one season in the Championship.

However the threat of asset stripping looms heavy.......

I genuinley think the threat of Phil Jones leaving lies in the hands of Venkys rather than the player, I firmly believe he would give us one season in the Championship.

However the threat of asset stripping looms heavy.......

I don't doubt that Jones is a committed player. But if he comes down into the Championship with us, there's a big chance he might be forgotten about and the next big thing will catch the eye of the big clubs. Especially if Rovers as a team don't do that well, as people will be less likely to notice his performances.

Of course players get signed from the Championship too, but this summer is his best chance of a move if we go down. I'm very much anti Venkys but I think if relegated, we'd struggle to keep hold of him under any owners.

I'm in disbelief that we are even discussing relegation. I cannot believe how this season has turned out. Jones was the face of the Rovers at the beginning of the season, his first full year in top flight and now this. If the team cannot build with youth it will never survive unless you are owned by much richer people than Venky's.

• Backroom

What worries me any probably many is Venkys bought Rovers for what £39m all in? A championship club is no use to them but nobody would want the club.

A Phil Jones plus Hoilett and Paul Robinson see's them recoup half of the cash they put in at least. That may be attractive to them.

I don't doubt that Jones is a committed player. But if he comes down into the Championship with us, there's a big chance he might be forgotten about and the next big thing will catch the eye of the big clubs. Especially if Rovers as a team don't do that well, as people will be less likely to notice his performances.

Of course players get signed from the Championship too, but this summer is his best chance of a move if we go down. I'm very much anti Venkys but I think if relegated, we'd struggle to keep hold of him under any owners.

Not something I had considered and a very good point, I would counter that with Downing getting signed by Villa while still recovering from a broken leg which proves that you dont need to be playing well/at all to get a transfer. However I appreciate that Villa arn't one of the teams we are talking about here, and that big club opportunities dont come along very often.

Lets hope we dont get relegated...........

As to who goes will depend upon firstly, if we stay-up and secondly, who our manager will be.

Chances of both Jones & Hoilett being here next season are, IMO, no better than 50/50.

Archived